• This topic has 79 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by jet26.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • Surrey Hills
  • mccraque

Heading up there tomorrow. Any recommendations for what’s riding well and what’s boggy? How’s winterfold these days? Was thinking of trying Evian, secret Santa etc but no idea if they’re even still there! Also pitch and holmbury.

Thanks!

notmyrealname
    Free Member

According to Gee from here’s Strava, it’s a bit puddly on Winterfold but otherwise ok.

I’ve never known many trails on Winterfold so only ever do 2 or 3 on my way across to Pitch and Holmbury. I’ve no idea which trails are which in Surrey Hills, at least not by name, so can’t be much more help!

ivorhogseye
    Free Member

Rode Redlands on Saturday, it’s normally the wettest place. It was dry as a bone and riding well, so you should be good to go anywhere you like.

sofabear
    Free Member

Evian, Area 51 and Bear Necessities are no more, blocked off by felled branches.

Was last down there 10 days ago, Holmbury and Pitch were dry and running well. My usual ‘litmus tests’ are Fork Right and Telegraph Row – if they’re dry then everything else will be too and both were dry when I was last there.

I haven’t done Winterfold in a couple of months so can’t comment on Northern Monkey etc but I’d guess they’ll all be fine for the most part.

alextemper
    Free Member

Evian and Area51 are up and running again although not quite as before.

May be some standing water in places but overall pretty dry.

sofabear
    Free Member

alextemper – Member

Evian and Area51 are up and running again although not quite as before.

I stand corrected. 🙂

mccraque

Thanks chaps!

puddings
    Free Member

It started raining as we were leaving monday so there may be some standing water and boggy spots in the usual last to dry locations. The wind has been fairly gusty over the last couple of days so you might find there is debris on the slightly less used trails

jambalaya
    Free Member

Holmbury driest usually, Pitch and shallow (Northern) side of Winterfold quite good. The stream bed/bridleway onto which secret santa exits makes a fun descent if necessary – a few steps and the odd rock (rare in surrey) to keep it interesting

acidtest
    Free Member

It runs fast a couple of days after rain, a few puddles but not so dusty and less sand traps.

mccraque

Very enjoyable trip as it happens. Got over to Winterfold and thought the revamped Evian was great, as was Secret Santa or Carpetland, or whatever it is. Got a nasty surprise on Switchbacks though as the ending has gotten very steep!!

Pitch was great although I have to say that I am convinced the erosion on the steeper trails is worse than it was. Considerably. (Eric, for example)

Rain held off, cheese straws were ace.

acidtest
    Free Member

It had rained heavily at some point yesterday as there was a load of froth on one of the fire roads from the YHC. The trails we hit were still pretty good though, bit sketchy on some of the roots but nothing too evil.

muddylegs
    Free Member

I was up there last night (thurs) and it was a tad damp in places. Spec’s and or a front guard would of been helpful at times.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Rode Northern Monkey for the first time in ages – never seen that final gap jump before – the one after the obvious series of 3-4 and the big bermed turn. Would love to see someone ride that, it must be a massive jump! That and the “hidden” jump on the LHS of summer madness

Trails are in great condition at the moment. The new evain seems to be bedding down and not that bad despite losing the old bomb hole. Whatever happened to the run lower down W’fold – carpet/secret santa? – that went though a larch wood and finished into the steppy BW. I could only find the (better) runs that both combine with the gap and jump before finsihing much lower down the BW.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Orange Claw Hammer ? the trees where cut down including the “claw hammer” V – a few years ago we made an effort to recreate it but too much debris. You can walk up from the bottom and ride bottom bit, ditto from start of Santa (note info from a year ago when I was last there)

I understand certain riders may have put in a request to the pixies to divert round the Evian bomb hole 😉

Glad you enjoyed it, miss it very much

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I understand certain riders may have put in a request to the pixies to divert round the Evian bomb hole

😉 I enjoyed it in the end and miss it now!!! The new Evian is quite fast and flows well. Ditto NM. My new bogey run is one corner on Eric. Too much riding on my own, I need you to push me!!

The run I was trying to remember/find used to end in a short drop into the BW (above the steps) and short lip on to the private road. Easy run through your trees and lots if needles on the deck.

Conditions are great. Had two great rides up there this week and might go up tomorrow too.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I miss the ‘v’ tree 🙁

Not sure my new 780 bars would get through it though 😀 . 750s worked but seemed very close.

Also miss Carpet Land / Endor. Fast swooping through the tress and pine needles.

Evian bomb hole just needs tree in it removal.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yep, I was looking for the V tree too! Ditto on modern bars 😉

I like the shortish route opposite Evian and the one on the other side of the v steep fire road on the RHS of the bottom of Evian.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Evian bomb hole looked like someone has driven a logging truck through it to me – not much of a bomb hole left.

Carpetland is s sad loss. Nothing tech but always fun. Ive got s photo of the claw stump somewhere – nothing much cut around it. Couldn’t help felling was just done out of spite.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@dk great photo. Maj used to love that trail, always asked to ride it. As above I always tried to include the trail as always fun and just different with the pine needles

@tmh you’d need world record amounts of patience to ride with me, as for “pushing you” 🙂 I doubt it. Able to get away for 3/4 days and cheap flight to Geneva ? Last week did two predominantly road rides around Deauville, not sure 35lbs of 2.3″ shod fs is the bike of choice for that !

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Sneaked out for an awesome afternoon in Peaslake. Just Pitch-Holmbury-Pitch. Conditions are about as good as I can image with the recent rain a bonus. I have never know the classic trails like Tel Rd and BKB ride so fast.

T trails, Proper Bo, Graveyard etc all great as was Yog pots. Tried the run to the LHS of BKB which was fun but wimped at the log jump at the top 😳 Nice alternative to BKB though.

Found crackpipe for the first time on Holmbury. I was put off in the past by the gradient on strava, but found that superb. Steep enough to have to concentrate but nothing scary. Loved the exposed LH bend about 3/4 of the way down. Great run and two lovely houses at the bottom to admire!!

We are so lucky to be able to ride there.

acidtest
    Free Member

Feeling jealous, was there doing pretty much the same on Saturday and broke my dogbone link coming down the bottom section of telegraph. So wanted to ride it again this week but gotta wait until the part turns up on Thursday.

We certainly are lucky, I live in Guildford and the xc ride there is pretty awesome too.

Does anyone ride over St Marthas? There some pretty nice trails off all sides, although mind out for walkers at peak times.

northerntom
    Free Member

When I lived in London we would often meet at St Marthas and ride over to peaslake from there, some nice trails off the hill for 20-30 second runs, with the short but steep climb back up. A bit too sandy in the summer though!

A lot of guys I know train it to Guildford then ride to Marthas then on from there. Also opens up the North Downs way, Leith Hill, and other areas which I won’t mention on the internet as I might get shouted at.

nuke

Does anyone ride over St Marthas? There some pretty nice trails off all sides, although mind out for walkers at peak times.

Rode passed there earlier this year and thought the trails on the north-east side from St Marthas had been found…signs up and the little jumps removed. Still, might be back by now

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes you are lucky, having moved away after 20+ years I miss it. Superb riding from from front door in Guildford, local trails with jumps available on a quick spin, fabulous longer xc or 45 mins riding to Ranmore/Peaslake/Winterfold (or 20 mins in car)

I used to ride St Martha’s quite a bit on 1hr blast, a bit sandy / soft but great as it was on my doorstep. Little bit of Singletrack next to farm access track/bridleway below Chantries. Do you Guildford bods now about Drum & Base / Jubilee line – if nor email in profile. I’ll not forget being on a NDW xc ride and seeing guys on “big bikes”, full face etc getting out of their van – interesting 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Tend to ride ST M on the way to Blackheath and Winterfold or as an XC blast combining Combe Land, N downs and Pewley Downs. Some fun short trails on N side and the challenge of the direct route down to Chilworth from the church on the S side. Tough to clean to latter. A bit to sandy and short to be a final destination though ESP when peaslake is so close,

Descendi the Chantries there is a nice easy line through the trees on the N side which is difficult to find at first but is better than main track or the steps to CP IMO. I think that is what Jambas is referring to.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

obvious jumps taken down by Albury estate, still a couple of hucks around.

Chantries is off limit to bikes

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Opps – is that new or am I a serial offender?

deadkenny
    Free Member

The lines are still there on St Marthas, just looks more natural (prefer it that way rather than huge jumps and drops dug out). Fun blast down.

tuskaloosa – Member 

Only noticed that coming through from the east side and spotted no bike sign. Usually ride up from Guildford through there and never notice any signs about it. Still, ridden through plenty of times and not one person said a thing. Walkers smiled, and even stepped aside to let me through despite me offering them to go past first.

Only contentious bit I guess is the off camber descent stuff towards Guildford side. Rarely see walkers making it all the way up there. Gets steep in places.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

DK – i think we are all referring to same off-camber bit. Given that it is hidden (esp the start) and no walkers go on that bit (IME) should be ok. The main track is dull on descent albeit a good pipe opener on the way up.

Has anyone cleaned the straight decent form church to chilworth = I christened it Marha’s Back Passage for the XC running races that used it. Narrow and a couple of tricky bits.

acidtest
    Free Member

Do you Guildford bods now about Drum & Base / Jubilee line – if nor email in profile. I’ll not forget being on a NDW xc ride and seeing guys on “big bikes”, full face etc getting out of their van – interesting

Is that the Drum & Base off of the north downs way? There’s a lot of really sketchy descents around there especially after a bit of rain. Those chalk banks are lethal!

Rode passed there earlier this year and thought the trails on the north-east side from St Marthas had been found…signs up and the little jumps removed. Still, might be back by now

The jumps are back and not seen any signs up recently. Some are a bit over grown with bracken but 90% still ride able. Loads of sand traps, the whole place is like a giant beach on a slope at this time of year.

Has anyone done the super steep decent down the south face from the church? Scared the crap out of me the first time and won’t do it on my own again. It’s bad enough walking down it!

There’s some pretty good descents off Barnett Hill which are good to add to a loop if you’re doing St Marthas, Blackheath, Farley etc.

acidtest
    Free Member

Has anyone cleaned the straight decent form church to chilworth = I christened it Marha’s Back Passage for the XC running races that used it. Narrow and a couple of tricky bits.

That’s the one I was talking about in my last post, we must have been typing it at the same time. It’s all do able except the bottom is a bit narrow and over grown, normally just walk that bit. The root drop at the top is interesting 🙂

piha
    Free Member

The entire Chantries hill area is rather contentious with no biking signs everywhere and I believe that the small cottage that is situated near the N.W entrance belongs to the ranger/warden. I tend to avoid the area when it’s busy but there are some nice trails in there.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Acidetest – that’s the one I am talking about. Ridden it several times but never cleanly. The first big drop and the one wi the metal pipe still get me, but haven’t tried it on my newish FS, only on a v old HT.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

More x posts!!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Drum’n’Bass – oldie now, but bit sensitive round there. Been signs up about putting it out of action. A few other spots off the NDW similar with signs up. One recently had the start trashed.

acidtest – Member 
    Has anyone done the super steep decent down the south face from the church? Scared the crap out of me the first time and won’t do it on my own again. It’s bad enough walking down it!

The one with the pipe running down it that comes out by the alpaca farm? Sketchy and steep.

No keen on the south side though. Too much sand.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

tend to ride Martha’s and the environs with caution as there are numerous walkers/children/dogs off leashes and horses and I’ve seen one or two chaps ride down the West side with no regard to other users.

DK I’ve used the Chantries bridleway from East Pit road to commute in winter from the station home that’s when I saw the sign. To be honest don’t venture there as piha says it’s rather contentious and it pulls us off course from our usual route.

We kept rebuilding the log stuff but gave up after some time.

South face is interesting 🙂

acidtest
    Free Member

Acidetest – that’s the one I am talking about. Ridden it several times but never cleanly. The first big drop and the one wi the metal pipe still get me, but haven’t tried it on my newish FS, only on a v old HT.

You have to hit the first big drop from the right hand side (cuz of brambles) to clear the pipe, you need a bit of speed.

It’s really saaad (Alan Partridge voice) but I have pics on my phone:

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have never ridden that without falling off (sometimes spectacularly) whether on my HT or FS. IMO the size of the step down/drop and the location of the pipe means its beyond my talent.

The Chanties is off limits to bikes and signs at all the entrances, we used to walk our dog there 3-4 times a week as we lived very close. I have seen a guided ride of 10+ bikes going right through the middle which is pretty obnoxious.

The little trail I am speaking of is right next to the bridleway/farm track and in a part of the wood / deforested bit where no one walks.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Great photos!!

That captures it well (if not the narrowness!)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Surrey Hills’ is closed to new replies.