Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Surrey Hills 100 mile ride
  • gee
    Free Member

All

As the Erlestoke enduro has been cancelled, I propose trying to get a few people together to attempt this epic 100 mile off-road loop on 23 May 2015. GPS file and route card available on the Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/150245318508287/

It’s a brilliant ride and can be split into 4 sections.

0-25 miles – fairly flat bridleways etc to Peaslake
    25-50 miles – quite brutal up/down and technical trails
    50-75 miles – good fun trails and more undulating
    75-100 miles – similar to first 25 miles

If you wanted to you could miss out one or both of the middle sectors and make it either a 50 or 75 mile loop.

Let me know what you think…

GB

gee
    Free Member

This was the previous thread/attempt if you want to see the discussion

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/kielder-replacement-surrey-hills-100-mile-ride

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Hmmm – as soon as I found out Erlestoke was off I signed up for CTBM’s Gravel Dash instead. But that’s the following day, I wonder if I can fit both in? Maybe if I start this one around 5:30am instead!

What do you do about water refills George?

adsh
    Free Member

Gee – No surprise that I am in for the full 100. May I suggest you beast yourself on Charlies gravel dash and ride your fatbike for this please.

njee20
    Free Member

Hmmm – as soon as I found out Erlestoke was off I signed up for CTBM’s Gravel Dash instead. But that’s the following day, I wonder if I can fit both in? Maybe if I start this one around 5:30am instead!

george is of course doing both. Peaslake is good for water!

I’m gonna come along for part of this. Sod all 100 miles though 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

@gee the link on facebook to the route file/gpx are not working for me – could be because its blocked from my office but worth a check

FYI just checking for reference as 100km is beyond me never mind 100 miles !

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

If free, I’d like to potentially do the middle 50 miles around Peaslake, assuming the route hasn’t changed much.

Do you have a Strava trace of the route, just so I can see what trails it takes in (I imagine near enough everything for that sort of distance).

offthebrakes
    Free Member

george is of course doing both

Haha yes, I would have to factor in quite a lot more time than him!

Getting down to Swanage in time afterwards (through all the BH traffic) is my main concern. Oh, and not being too destroyed for the Gravel Dash of course 😉

gee
    Free Member

Yes I’m doing both – will be driving down to Dorset Saturday evening.

Yes,it’s all the trails on Winterfold/Pitch/Holmbury/Leith/Whitedown. If you ride with me it may be a little over the advertised distance as I’ve since found a couple of extra ones, so more like 105 miles.

Route description:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10145663/Surrey%20Hills%20100.docx

GPS:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10145663/Surrey%20Hills%20-%20the%20standard%20epic.gpx

Strava (NB GPS went flat so last 15 miles missing)
    https://www.strava.com/activities/162501533

Drink stops are as follows:

25miles @ Shere – Public loo
    50 miles and 75 miles – Peaslake Village Stores
    80 miles – Newlands Corner (closes 5.30pm)

Most of the climbing is in the middle 50 miles.

I imagine we will ride as some sort of group for the first 25 miles or so, but after that it gets a bit hillier so we will naturally break up. So you need a GPS (I’d suggest only using one per group for navigation at any one time as usually you wont get enough battery for a 100 mile navigation from one GPS).

gee
    Free Member

Bump for the morning crowd!

Buzzard
    Free Member

Thanks Gee. I was looking for something after Erlestoke. Think I will plump for the 75mile option and wave at you as you fly by.

nedrapier

Looks good! I’ll have a tootle round with maps (for my Garmin Oregon 600 with replaceable AAs) this evening to see what a route from Haslemere looks like, I could meet you for the middle 50.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Definately maybe.

Might go for a pootle this weekend and see how my legs feel over any distance.

Buzzard
    Free Member

Can anyone help me with this GPS route – Ive got the route description but cannot seem to download the GPS track. Anyone know what I’m doing wrong.

Want to try go out and recce the Winterfold/Pitch section that I dont really know.

Alternatively – anyone want to show me around tomorrow am – leaving Peaslake at 6am? My guess is I wont get too many takers

gee
    Free Member

Works for me – right click/save as then open in online mapping software then output and transfer to your GPS.

Buzzard
    Free Member

Thanks Gee – will try again, but kept getting some kind of source not available comment. Either way I will go armed with your notes and see how much of it I can get around. Much appreciated

cakefest
    Free Member

Gee, this sounds fantastic. I hope you all have a great day out. Best, Ashley Green.

gee
    Free Member

Can people post here if they are coming so I have an idea of numbers

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Can’t make it now – got to be in Dorset earlier on Saturday than I thought 🙁

gee
    Free Member

So the weather is looking great for the weekend at the moment… Am I meeting anyone in Lightwater on Saturday morning?

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m going to try and get down there and do part of the ride.

What time are you going to be leaving Lightwater?

gee
    Free Member

Hoping to leave 7.30am so as to allow people maximum daylight to complete the ride. Might end up leaving a bit later, depends who is coming.

adsh
    Free Member

I really want to do this (and it was me who asked!) but I need to check on what the ride protocol is going to be! The two variables are speed and navigation.

Judging by yesterdays BORS pace (92miles, 2,245m, more road – 7hr 45m) this is going to take me a bit longer than you.

Is the intention to have a scattering of paces doing the route at the same time but in different groups or lead a group of reasonable paced riders (but slower than you would ordinarily complete it).

gee
    Free Member

Hi

I’m just going to ride it with whoever wants to keep up. The first 25 miles should be ok as it’s quite flat. Past that, if the pace gets too slow I’ll get cold, bored and you’ll need the GPS file, or stick in a group with someone else. So yes, the intention is to hopefully have a scattering of groups going round, but I will wait a little bit. The problem is a minute or so waiting everywhere gets tedious and soon adds 1hr+ to the ride!

GB

adsh
    Free Member

Thanks – will view route notes etc. Only way I’ll get round in a decent time is by a constant effort. Time to test the additional batter for the garmin!

gee
    Free Member

Final call for this – weather looking good for the weekend.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m about 99% certain to be there.

I’ll try and keep up with everyone for as long as I can and when I get left behind I’ll loop round and head back home. Hopefully I’ll last as far as getting to Peaslake 😀

gee
    Free Member

Ok – so will meet you both at the country park in time to leave at 7.30

adsh
    Free Member

Gee – I’m very sorry but I can’t do it – I hadn’t factored in the start of half term. I feel very guilty as I asked for this….. 🙁

gee
    Free Member

4 of us made it round in a little over 8hrs – 103 miles. Trails were riding perfectly; just the right balance of grip.

A few little incidents… OTB from Chris (my fault really as I forgot to mention a little gap jump), my solo air forks did the usual solo air no negative spring trick boing boing boing boing, Graham Notmyrealname sliced a tyre after 25 miles, Derek got a puncture and then so dos Chris about 500yds from the end. Great day and good company!

GB

mashiehood
    Free Member

well done to all those who did it. I was all set, packed ready to roll – a call from the office telling me squatters had taken possession of my development site in central London! gutted.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Surrey Hills 100 mile ride’ is closed to new replies.