Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Surrey Bike Jumble – gauging interest.
  • tootallpaul

Morning all,

After hunting for ages for a local bike jumble, I’ve began to think about setting one up.

Would probably take place somewhere in the Woking area, and it would be primarily aimed at Mountain Bikers.

What does the STW massive think? Worth a try? What do people want to see from a jumble?

I’m going to go visit a couple of village halls this weekend to get an idea of costs.

Cheers,

Paul

Gotama
    Free Member

You could probably rent out the village hall at either holmbury st mary or peaslake. With the latter i guess you could also make use of the car park out the front. Often used for bike demo days so it must be do-able. Would have thought the idea will be quite popular there as you’ll get a shed load of passing trade if nothing else.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Interesting idea (I’m Guildford based). As an aside do people ever sell MTB stuff at car boot sales, I ask as this could be an alternative.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Loads closer than Bristol I would be there to sell and buy if it was the right weekend!

theotherjonv

Yes, I’d be in.

singletracksurfer

I’ve been thinking of doing one in Reading, and was just about to post a thread to gauge interest myself. Split it!? Do it in Bracknell half way between the 2 (everyone can ride round Swinley after too). Let me know if you’re interested.

Village halls seem to be the way to go regarding costs i.e. way cheaper than anything else.

I think it might as well include road, kids and commuter bike bits too and it’ll help make it busier.

akira

Hmmmm do have a few things I’d like to shift, if it was a good time it might be good way to fund the fatbike.

tootallpaul

Singletracksurfer- sounds like a plan…

andymac
    Free Member

There is a Bike Jumble in Ripley, Surrey every 6 months. I think it is orientated at vintage bikes mainly, you might be able to add on to this, or they might be able to assist you with ideas etc.

theotherjonv

plenty of ‘Village’ halls in Bracknell area

http://www.bracknell-berkshire.co.uk/businesses/halls/

I’ve hired VH’s in guildford before for kids parties, usually cost <£50 but not sure if they are likely to bump it up if they see it as a ‘commercial’ enterprise.

tootallpaul

Thanks for all the input!

I think a lot of the Jumbles offset the commercial aspect by donating
    the table hire takings to charity.

I will contact Charlotteville.cc who run Ripley to have a chat. They are very vintage and road orientated so we aren’t really in competition.

handyandy
    Free Member

ALso worth talking to Stoughton Social club in Guildford. They have parking and a bigish hall and are always looking to get the place booked out.

singletracksurfer

Yeah I think they do increase the price for commercial use as when I was looking before they said it fell in between a jumble sale and commercial. Its best not to mention bikes, just the jumble bit 😉

E-mail me if you want then Paul. It could be a good way of spreading the risk as well as spreading the word. There always plenty of people willing to travel a fair distance to go to Swinley too.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Bracknell Arena hosts regular computer thingys in their main hall on sundays.

Makes sense because its 2 mins from Swinley so maybe more would travel if they could combine.

sputnik
    Free Member

Pity that the Surrey bike jumble is turning into a Berkshire bike jumble…
    I don’t think people want to go shop for bike bits and then go for a cycle, either one or the other.
    Guildford ftw

tootallpaul

Sorry about that Sputnik!

I’m actually closer to Swinley than Guildford, to it works for me…

cookeaa

I’m in Reading, I’d happily bring along some of my Crap spare parts to offload if it’s not too far, date dependant of course, but I need to get some space back in the Garage and I just can’t be arsed with all the ebay/classified/postage bollocks now…

Don’t limit it to being primarily MTB stuff though, you’ll get more uptake if it’s a straight forwards bike jumble IMO…

tootallpaul

Not thinking of limiting it to MTB, just thinking it needs to be promoted to MTB riders as traditionally jumbles are road orientated…

singletracksurfer

If I was travelling any distance to go somewhere I’d prefer to be doing 2 things (jumble and ride) on the same day if the timings worked out well tbh.

njee20
    Free Member

I think Peaslake or Holmbury is a better idea – passing trade will far outweigh those who you’re likely to reach with advertising.

peath
    Free Member

Bracknell please! and count me in for a table (depending on dates!).

cookeaa

Really?

People will only bother if there’s some convenient local riding?

How’s about we contact the crown estate/gorrick lot and ask if erecting a marquee with some tables, in the corner of swinley’s overflow carpark or other nearby area for a Saturday or Sunday morning would be acceptable then?

this event doesn’t have to be in a village hall, might even be better if it’s not, you’d definitely get more passing MTBers, and the advantage of a marquee is you don’t have to grovel to some parish councilor afterwards when 50 MTBers tramp mud and shite through their lovely clean village hall…

brakes
    Free Member

will there be any used bib shorts to sniff?

akak
    Free Member

I would say Peaslake myself, the overflow carpark at Swinley is already overflowed on weekends.

tootallpaul

I think there may be scope for more than one event here…

Maybe Winter Swinley and Summer Peaslake?

Personally, I think the marquee idea is probably a lot more hassle than the village hall option.

I will go away, have a chat with singletracksurfer and see what we can come up with.

Thanks again all.

Paul

cookeaa

Peaslake has some suitable open areas for a marquee too…

It doesn’t need to be in the actual car park at swinley, there are a few other areas you could plonk a marquee down, you’d need to talk to the crown estates people I guess…

The other option is, if there’s enough interest in both venues, you could hold a couple of “South East Mountain Bike Jumbles”, one in either location?

I think the idea’s got some legs OP…

cookeaa

Honestly I don’t see why it need to be inside a bricks and mortar building?

people seem to want it to be near somewhere to ride after, you’ll not get much more local to the trails than my proposal, renting a village hall for the morning Vs a patch of land and a marquee even closer to the potential punters normal stomping ground seems like a no brainer…

If you could guarantee the weather I’d say just have it in the open air and save even more overhead costs (pun intended), better yet just make each seller responsible for keeping themselves dry, and provide their own table/tarp or whatever, more like a car boot than jumble sale…

How many tables/pitches are you really that likely to need 10, 15, 20 tops maybe? it doesn’t need to be massive.

tootallpaul

I think the cost of hiring most village halls is minimal-hence most cycle jumbles use them.

No idea how this compares to marquee hire.

Holmbury Village hall for example is £12 per hour.

So, 8 hours rent- £12 * 8 = £96.

So cost is not an issue really.

And Holmbury village hall is ideally located for an apres shopping ride…

cookeaa

I guess you’re right a Marquee can be pretty pricey… An open air jumble in the summer would be good though.

Given that you’re thinking about a winter one and a summer one, maybe keep the winter one small, easier to control and administer, see what lessons you might learn, and then see how a bigger space and more sellers might work for summer…

gsm7
    Free Member

Peaslake would be great – don’t really have much to sell, but would certainly be there to look for a few bargain bits…

AND I agree that passing trade would be much more valuable than advertising. Peaslake can get pretty busy… I’ve been to peaslake in the summer and its been so busy that I was not able to find space to prop my bike up in the village… Ridiculous!

Great idea.

sugdenr
    Free Member

sputnik – Member
    Pity that the Surrey bike jumble is turning into a Berkshire bike jumble…

Okey dokey, well then we can hold in the Tesco’s carpark which is located at the Surrey,Hampshire and Berkshire border tripoint about 15mins from Look Out, and just by alternative southern and western access points to the forest.

tootallpaul

A wee bump for the evening crew..

gee
    Free Member

Holmbury village hall is an excellent idea.

GB

martinh
    Free Member

I believe that people have approached the Crown Estate about holding one near the start of the trails at Swinley but inside a village hall sounds much more civilised in winter

jambalaya
    Free Member

Mr Pragmatic Here.

If everyone who is selling something parks in Holmbury VH there will be no room for customers. Peaslake might be slightly better but would need some political sensitivity as the place is already rammed, perhaps bikers putting money into the Village by renting the hall would compensate

tootallpaul

So, plans are afoot.

We have a potential venue, just round the corner from Swinley.

The next question is when.

Is before Christmas viable? Say the last weekend in November/Early December?

Cheers all…

Paul

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Put me down for a table!

There’s so much stuff in my shed that I’ve just not sold due to lack of effort (and not wanting to pay £10 to post £20 parts) it’s getting unreal!

tootallpaul

Further information…

Either Sunday 1st December or Sunday 8th December?

tinas- exactly my reasoning…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Earliers probably better, people may be busy christmass shopping or not have money to spend on bike bits due to christmass shopping closer to the 25th.

tootallpaul

We are all booked now for the 8th -I will post later with all the details.

In the meantime, if anyone is interested in a table, drop me an email.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Surrey Bike Jumble – gauging interest.’ is closed to new replies.