Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Surly Trucker owners – your opinions please.
  • RustySpanner

My old MTB based tourer is in need of a compete overhaul.
    After working out the cost, I’m going to retire it disgracefully, and use it over winter on the trails.

Disc Trucker is favourite at the mo.
    Did fancy an ECR for a while, but it’s just overkill for what I realistically need, roads and non techy tracks.

I’ve ridden the Surly quite a bit and love the ride.
    Spec is sensible, I’d only be looking at adding a rack and changing the seat.

How did you like yours?
    What else did you look at?

Tour de Fer is flat bar only now, Kona Sutra seems OK, but I think I prefer the 26 inch wheels and spec of the Surly.

I only buy a new bike every 10 years or so, so it has to be right.

All thoughts and opinions welcome.
    Oh, pictures too.
    Ta.

irc

I’ve got a 700c rim brake Trucker. Flawless handling loaded or unloaded. Only fault is the decals and paint chip easily. Handles gravel tracks well. I’ve been over the Corrieyairick on it when I had 700x42s fitted..

Worth considering buying from Spa as their version includes their bombproof handbuilt wheels with choice of rims. Also says the build is customisible so you could probably change any components you wanted.

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s21p3033

drovercycles
    Free Member

We do a lot of long haul and disc trucker custom builds as we find it works out better value than the stock spec. Have all the main sizes in the hire fleet too if you want to try any.

ton

owned a lht then a disc trucker for the last 10 years.
    brilliant solid touring bike, offroad capable without guards and fitted with bigger tyres.
    but for faster day rides, forget it. far too steady.
    also noted on the bigger sizes like i had (25”) standing up honking when loaded makes they wobble and shimmy about a bit.

no longer got mine, got a fargo on it’s way to me.

Bez

but for faster day rides, forget it. far too steady.

Well the guy I sold my LHT to went and did the Etape du Tour on it so I wouldn’t forget it too soon 😉

I’m on a Disc Trucker now (custom build, natch). It’s my winter/holiday/multisurface/frankly-just-about-anything bike. It’s a very versatile thing. Granted, it’s not quite as quick as my summer bike, but it’s really not so bad. I took it out to buy some cake last week.

wicki
    Free Member

I had a 26″ and did not like it (felt dead) sold it and bought a Thorn.

roach

What about the CrossCheck? Still quite capable as a tourer but also more sprightly as a cross bike or road bike.

StirlingCrispin

I have a 700 Disc Trucker from Spa Cycles.

Love it – having come from a Cannondale T700 and a Trek 520 steel-framed tourer that only had 65,000 miles on it.

The only thing I’d do different from the stock setup is upgrade to dynamo hubs.

Will you be running drops or flat bars?
    I find the drop-bar brakes on mine take some effort compared to my MTB.

slowboydickie

Love my disctrucker. I used to commute Dorking to London on it with panniers but now work from home. Very comfy, stable, fits me beautifully and I will never sell it.

durhambiker
    Free Member

Great blog that Bez, really enjoyed it. Want to get out on a long ride in search of food now…

RustySpanner

Cheers everyone, looks like a goer!
    Blue for next year too, much nicer than the maroon.

Love the Cross Check, but need discs and prefer the little wheels on the smaller DT.

Am very, very excited now.
    First road bike I had as a kid was a tourer – they just feel ‘right’ for me, how road cycling should be.

I’ve enjoyed using my old steel Rockhopper as a tourer, but missed drops and it’s a bit twitchy with a full load.

Better clear the mice out of the Ortleibs and find my bobble hat.

And yes, great article Bez, looks like a great area for a tour.
    Hmmmmmm.

Once again, thanks.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Surly Trucker owners – your opinions please.’ is closed to new replies.