Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Surly Pugsley, Anyone got one? tried just a fat front wheel
  • igm

Gil out Dalby way has one – or did last winter. Interesting bike to ride in the snow.

AJ
    Free Member

Well i imported 2 from the states $87 each plus $50 shipping and £25 import tax because ison got on my wick when my LBS buddy rang them up they fobbed him off twice ,then denied the fork existing!!

I emithered ison and Salsa to complain and had lovely replys saying that " ison had ordered a batch and would be our side of the pond within a week" that was a month ago.

when did you email?

singlespeedstu

About a month ago for the first time then again a couple of weeks ago.

AJ
    Free Member

get your lbs to ring you need to get past the frontline staff or import yourself took 10 days to arrive i used americancycle.com the fork is really smart and sus corrected to keep your angles right.

singlespeedstu

I'll get one sorted when my new El Mariachi frame arrives at the end of the month.

AJ
    Free Member

sweet

i like your kung fu (tubing)

coastkid
    Free Member

maybe this pugsley film will show you why these bikes are so much fun and how you wont regret buying one 😮

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

It really does float!!!

coastkid
    Free Member

yep!…pugsley floats
    and i wiegh over 14 stone 😮

Chainline
    Free Member

I can confirm that the Larry tyre is much better on normal loose terrain than the endomorph, it steers more accurately in corners and doesn't wander in the same way on muddy loose and hard pack. The endomorph is however better in soft but not muddy stuff and of course sandy terrain, all imho of course.

I agree with Coast kid on the weight thing, my Jones is not the lightest thing on the plant especially with my hardcore build, but it doesn't ride heavy.

I've also found using a normal 2.25inx26 tube drops the weight significantly (not surprising really) and as yet I've had no issues, Jeff uses 99g super light 26 tubes, I'm not brave enough for that!

Chainline
    Free Member

The nice thing about the Vicous forks and Speedways is that they run non offset forks, enabling you to build a 135mm dish less wheel, whether its fat or not, when using the 135mm rear hub the wheel is compromised a bit, but I have no idea whether you'd really notice it.

You are then restricted to using either Phil Woods 135mm non offset front hub or the Paul's hub from Jeff, both of which are really good.

I'm still talking to Cliff at Royce about building one 😀

allankelly

I just rode 'Puffer on an Inbred with carbon Pace fork and 29er WTB 2.55" tyre. I like the setup a lot.

On the way there we saw a bike with a Larry front tyre, on a car in Aviemore Tesco carpark. Seemed to be a normal rim not a wide one. I'm tempted but I reckon the tyre would flop about on a narrow rim. Opinions?

Larry seems to be £85. Larry tyre at Ison Distribution

Cheers, al.

Chainline
    Free Member

Yep, that will be very wandery on a normal width rim, verging on dangerous even at lower pressures, which is half the point, Salsa Gordo at 35mm I would say is still too small really, 50mm rim minimum.

I run wtb 2.55 as my 'small' front wheel and my rear although Jeffs forks aren't as forgiving vertically as a carbon fork so I need as big a 'small' tyre as I can get.

AJ
    Free Member

dangerous my bum. that was my bike outside tescorooneys, it's a temporary measure until my bloody replacement onza rim arrives. oh it's on an easton havoc front wheel (30mm) running at 15psi nae wandering here.

Oh and your hub options aren't limited with the enabler any rear hub will do and plenty hubs can be built zero dish.

Raouligan
    Free Member

I've got an Endomorph in a pair of White Brothers Rock Solid forks, bit tight round the sides but loads of crown clearance on the 440mm versions.

I got a cheap 50mm rim from unicycle.com in 36 hole, the White Industries front hub was perhaps bling overkill though.

It does feel great probably going to get the fork that Surly do that takes the fat tyre and a standard hub and a Karate Monkey frame to have a Jonesesque thing develop seems rude not too considering I have Titec H bars as well ;0)

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I tried a 26" Maxxis flyweight innertube at 100g – but it punctured on its second outing – and because the tube has to expand so much to fill the Endomorph, the puncture repair just wouldn't hold – so not worth it really.

coastkid
    Free Member

another option folk may want to consider is a semi fat 29er…
    if you arnt riding sand/snow in winter (every 40 years…)
    i have 37mm wide halo rims with 2.5 WTBs on my KM which are quite good but going to price a set of these 50mm una rims from speedway cycles in alaska..

they look like the kris holm uni cycle rims but are lighter and 32 spoke…get a half way house between the pugsley and a regular mtb
    this would be good for peaty trails with a bit road work between 😮

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Surly Pugsley, Anyone got one? tried just a fat front wheel’ is closed to new replies.