Viewing 26 posts - 201 through 226 (of 226 total)
  • Surly Pugsley. Any good when the snow has gone ???
  • P20

Has this been outed?
    Double 29s up front

Woody
    Free Member

Hairychested – just found this on MTBR 😉

stuey
    Free Member

How well do fat tandems work – twice the rider weight with same contact area?

Looks sweet though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Hairychested
    Free Member

My wife says she doesn’t really like fat bikes, I’ll be having one next year (all being well). The tandem is drop-dead gorgeous. Any idea of the price for the frame? Please, may it be horrendously expensive so I know there’s no point in wondering if I could get one. PLEASE!

Aidan
    Free Member

I’ve seen a fat tandem in “action”. The action was mostly walking. Twice the weight on the same contact patch doesn’t work particularly well if you’re going to use it in snow.

If you like fat tyres for normal conditions, though, it could be fun.

Aidan
    Free Member

Oops.. double post

ojom
    Free Member

At last! The 16″ Pug arrived through the snow – how apt.

*wonders what he can sell in the garage to buy it*

Mantastic
    Free Member

Just in tome for the thaw

coastkid
    Free Member

Get down here with that pug tonight for a snow nightride Mark 😮
    4 of us heading out around local woods,
    we had 2 good dumpings of pwder snow again today…happy days :mrgreen:

singlespeedstu

Yay just finished building up my Mukluk.

That left me with a spare tyre, wheel and fork to throw on the front of Mrs ssstu’s bike so she can try a semi fatty for the first time. 😆

2010_1222fullfathalffat0007 by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

a few more pictures here

cynic-al
    Free Member

how much are the Mukluk frames over here? is the front wheel 135 non offset?

I’ll have a look on their site

druidh
    Free Member

We’re still “negotiating” to get the Mukluks in Al – but none until the summer in any case 👿

Chainline
    Free Member

I was running an 80mm front rim from the off. the speedway 80mm uma rim is approx 800g, close to a gordo and not much more than the 50mm. It is single walled. fatback (aka Greg at Speedway Cycles) has got a proper website together now, looks like as a result of the big boys jumping in) but it does mean some of his rather nice components are more easily accessible to those not ‘in the know’ as it would appear you can spend a lot of time working out what you can and can’t do and on what!

Anyway, I second SinglespeedStu’s comment, an 80mm rim stabilises the tyre at low pressure, gives a nicer ride and more grip.

I rode Trans Provence this year on the half fat Jones and to answer another well worn question, they are not more draggy off road. On the contrary. They are at v. Low pressure on road though, so best to stop and put a bit of extra pressure in them. They are terrific in single track offering ooodles of grip and on loose gravelly stuff.

One thing I did notice was that as we were riding so high ( starting at 500m or so and ascending to between 1200m to 1700m then descending, there was a very noticeable change in my tyre pressure, I think as it is already so low.

On the first day I set it as normal for big rocks at 5psi at the base and when I descended it felt like a front end pogo stick on the rocks! I reset the pressure at the top from then on but it ws amazing how much different the front felt at the end of a descent,

I had loads of rim strikes on my Speedways but never once got a pinch flat/ damaged rim or out of true wheel.
    Shows the benefits of a 135mm dish less front and very wide rim.
    Interestingly the rotating weight doesn’t seem to be a problem either, in fact at speed it really helps with rolling over stuff with rigid forks, but the the SC’s are always an option.
    Geat fun!

I’ve been talking to Greg at Fatback about a Fatback Ti for a while but haven’t taken the plunge. The way things are the only way that could happen is if I let the JJ go. I can’t decide whether that’s a trade I’m willing to make…

firestarter
    Free Member

hey stu if amanda doesnt like it you know where i am 😉

flashes
    Free Member

Used mine foe a few hours of trails, slush, a little snow and mud. Hard work but worth it what a laugh……….My Pug is SS what gear do you use? I’m running 32 X 20 fine off road but a b*gger on the road, I have to cycle to stuff. If I spin too fast over any length of time my left knee really suffers.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Yesterday I went cycling along the Boyne on the towpath/canal path. There was so much mud the wheels couldn’t spin. I brought home some 10lbs of the finest local gloop, wife was impressed 😉
    With a fat front wheel, would I be able to ride or would my 456SS still sink? There was only up to the axle of mud (26″ wheels with 2.4″ adVantages) BTW.

Chainline
    Free Member

Neither the Larry or the Endomorph are great in thick mud, the Larry is ok, but it can collect a very large amount of mud, not big on grip. soft and or boggy yes, v. muddy not really.

flashes
    Free Member

I was pleasently surprised in mud. Both wheels drifting, but under control (sort of) a rally good laugh. I was thinking what was I going to do with it once the snow goes but I will carry on, raise the gearing slightly and see the faces of “normal” rides when they realise I’m still with them….

coastkid
    Free Member

John Climber wont maybe agree now but you definitly stay more upright on fat tyres, seems to be more forgiving, there slack head angle also helps here. they hate sticky clay though… look at the size of these!
    luckily only had down a field like this,cleared quickly 😮

sunday 004 by coastkid71, on Flickr

Mantastic
    Free Member

Roll on March, I will hopefully own a pugsley

Chainline
    Free Member

@flashes, pleasantly surprised I can believe, I had that, but not good 😉

moose2008
    Free Member

Is it just a coincidence or is there a reason why nearly all the fat bikes that you see have flat pedals and not clip ins?

singlespeedstu

I used flats on mine in the snow but I’m back to clip in now it’s gone.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – Member
    I used flats on mine in the snow but I’m back to clip in now it’s gone.

I wish I had changed to clips on Thursday.

Just remember “Fat Bike Can’t Jump” (with me on board at any rate)

flashes
    Free Member

Nope, I’m the same, flats for snow, clipped for all else, although I’d probably use flats on sand, as last time I struggled to clip in.

singlespeedstu

flashes.

You’re from Highbridge kind of area aren’t you?

Any dunes down that way worth bringing my bike down for?

I’ll be in the area this time next week.

Viewing 26 posts - 201 through 226 (of 226 total)

The topic ‘Surly Pugsley. Any good when the snow has gone ???’ is closed to new replies.