Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 226 total)
  • Surly Pugsley. Any good when the snow has gone ???
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Aye that’s what I meant above – reports seem to be that a wider rim is needed for lower pressures.

See:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=668652

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

That thread is about sub 50mm rims – more like 30mm is what they’re on about. I’m not convinced that the extra 3lb or so, more weight is justified by the extra float…. JMHO 🙂

Hairy – It took me 2.5 years to put my bike together! Saving the pennies and accumulating parts at the same time…. worth the wait though 😀 Now I just with this flu would clear up and I could ride it!!

singlespeedstu

frc.

3Lb difference?

I’d check your scales. 😉

Seriously try a wider rim for yourself.

firestarter
    Free Member

What width rim is that on the front futon

epicyclo

Hairychested – Member
    …BTW How did you know where to drill?

Ran a dressmakers cloth tape around the rim, took the measurement and divided by 32.

Mantastic
    Free Member

So are these fat bikes good all year round? A few have commented but lots of posts about the spec etc rather than how they ride.

Not moaning about the spec type chat as all information is useful but just looking for opinion about the ride all year round rather than when just snowy or sandy

druidh
    Free Member

Mantastic – Member
    So are these fat bikes good all year round? A few have commented but lots of posts about the spec etc rather than how they ride.

Not moaning about the spec type chat as all information is useful but just looking for opinion about the ride all year round rather than when just snowy or sandy

Have a look at coastkids video

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Firestarter – the rim is a 50mm Uma by Speedway.

I was thinking that the 100mm rims weighed 1560g? As in this thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=586418
    The 50mm Uma weighs 750g IIRC so a pair would be 1500g as compared to 3120g – the difference is 3.5lb – there may be lighter 100mm out there!

Stu – funds are a little hard to come by at the moment – but if any rim is going to get fatter, it will be the rear wheel that gets fatterer. I’m very happy with the way the 50mm front rim performs. What advantages can I expect from a 100mm front rim, bearing in mind sand does not feature in my rides at all.

Mantastic – I ride mine all year round, no reason not too 😀

singlespeedstu

I think 100mm for a front rim on a fatfront bike is going a bit too far but the 80 does make the tyre a lot more stable than a 65 at lower psi.

I’ll be going fatter on the back too when my fullfat bike arrives. 😆

sofaking
    Free Member

when are the two salsa fat bike owners having their group ride then ? 8)

firestarter
    Free Member

Cheers futon

And stu remember to send your cast offs my way lol

My semi-skimmed should be ready soon 😉

singlespeedstu

2010_1126cheeserim0015 by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

Just over 850 grams. So an extra 30mm for just over 100 grams 😉

sofaking – Member

when are the two salsa fat bike owners having their group ride then ?

There’ll be three that i know of and I’ll not be riding with any of them because as you know i’m a right antisocial barsteward. 8)

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Stu – what low pressures are you thinking? Lower than 8psi?

singlespeedstu

6 maximum.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

OK – that IS low – I ran mine at 6psi on the icy/snowy roads last week – no problem, but obviously nothing like singletrack riding. So you only run yours at <6psi? Mine spends its time at 9ish psi. I’d love to try out someone elses first to see if the upgrade is worth it.

grantway
    Free Member

Futon River Crossing how much was your frame?

Just love the look of these bikes equally keeps adding to the want
    for one.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

$5500 – A lot cheaper now: http://www.jonesbikes.com/production_framesets.html – they are now made in Taiwan, not the USA. You’ll need to add VAT and duty and shipping 🙁

Still have not seen another fatbike on the trails.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

fantastic vid, coastkid

Cant’t believe the **** thing floats, thats awesome!

oh, and i want one too!

flashes
    Free Member

how do you measure pressures that low??

singlespeedstu

flashes – Member

how do you measure pressures that low??

With a low pressure pressure gauge. 😆

Mantastic
    Free Member

I know this is a real long shot, anyone in Worcestershire own a pugsley I can have a nose at?

singlespeedstu

I’m not far from Worcester.

You’re welcom to try my Mukluk when it arrives.

Mantastic
    Free Member

Cheers for the offer stu, am in Bewdley so not far. I will keep a lookout for your posts when it arrived

Hairychested
    Free Member

So, what frame will allow me to run two 135mm SS wheels? Pugsley or what? Need to know if I’m to be saving a few quid a week for a year.

grantway
    Free Member

singlespeedstu may I ask what a Mukluk is
    Do you have a pic mister

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Digital gauge for low pressures is essential as 1psi can make a big difference. There’s a mukluk on page 1 of this thread – it’s the blue bike.

singlespeedstu

May i point you all in this direction for answers to many questions.

Fat Bike Forum

garybuckham
    Free Member

Brillaint on snow, even up to 8″ deep when soft and no problem on hard-pack. Excellent on dunes, wet beach sand, peat bogs, game trails, heather moor and just about everything else. Don’t think about buying a Pugsley or other Fat Bike, just do it!

Gary
    http://www.pugsley-on-patrol.org.uk
    http://www.youtube.com/user/garybuckham

firestarter
    Free Member

Oh a steel Jones is in the realms of affordability but I think it should be ti really for a Jones . MukLuk looks nice I could prob get frameset Jan but couldn’t afford wheels for a while

And my karate monkey would have to go too 🙁

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Found some light 80mm rims Flattop – 790g!! I can resist anything except temptation.

singlespeedstu

frc.

It does make a big difference being able to run the tyre that bit softer without it washing out when landing on off cambers and cornering hard.

coastkid
    Free Member

Pugs has been the most fun bike ever owned…
    Im now running my Larrys on 65mm marge rims at 5 psi front and 6 psi rear…i use scrader valves and a motorsport gauge for pressures,

023 by coastkid71, on Flickr
    this wasnt very good with the old 60 TPI side wall endomorphs but great with the new 120 TPI tyres, oh the Endomorphs are now available in the thicker sidewall and which ever tyre you go for (if buying new) get the 120 side walls as way better, id recommend Larrys for front and rear for our terrain and condition here in the UK…
    Good to see you Saturday Gary! (even if on foot!)

019 by coastkid71, on Flickr

024 by coastkid71, on Flickr
    As Gary knows im selling all my other bikes and frames and parts not needed apart from the pug and KM 29er to fund a new lightwieght fatbike for XC riding next year!,keep the pug as the Tiger Tank/ride through anything expedition bike 😮
    new bike should be a sub 28lbs build 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

be interesting to see what my sandman comes up at when its built …

the 100mm rims are drilled to hell – there isnt much metal about them

will be sure to weigh it 😉

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Ti Fatback? Coastkid.

grantway
    Free Member

Found a frame now can some one point me in the right direction
    where to get a set of wheels/rims from please.

coastkid
    Free Member

Ti fatback is what i did want but recession has said it will now be the 9zero7 frame and there 80mm (drilled) rims,offset rear and inline front.
    Being a offset frame like the surly allows a normal rear hub and i already have lots of Hope stuff,hubs,brakes,headset,seat clamp,
    Phil Wood BB and middleburn cranks,carbon bars,post,1×9 XT, so should be a light build, be great for big days out on the hills…
    Also i like the guys at 9zero7 and there real keen to export to here in the UK. Also my epic frame bag will fit it being roughly the same triangle as the grey pugs 😮

tankslapper
    Free Member

Thought to share….

cynic-al
    Free Member

Re: comments on a 29er rr wheel not working on an offset rear end..has anyone tried offset drilling on a wide 29er rim?

In any event, if the rim/tyre is slightly offset relative to the rim, is that a big deal?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hmmm those 9:zero:7s look nice – alu is only $499 too!

coastkid
    Free Member

Dam it looks like i wont have the 1st one here now! 😮
    I like them because its straight top tube and anodised red finnish
    Aluminum is spelt wrong on the frame for here though!

red bike 007 by coastkid71, on Flickr

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 226 total)

The topic ‘Surly Pugsley. Any good when the snow has gone ???’ is closed to new replies.