Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Surly Ogre sizing conundrum!
  • cheekysprocket

Mrs cheekysprocket is keen on an Ogre for bike packing duties. Annoyingly, Surly don’t publish sizing guidelines for their frames, other than a stand over height. (Which may or may not take into account the old two inches or so recommended gap twixt the top tube and your bits.) She’s 170cm/5ft6″, with an inside leg of 31″, and agonising over whether to go small or medium…

Does anyone on here ride and Ogre? What are the collective thoughts? Any input much appreciated!

scotroutes

The geometry is here. http://surlybikes.com/bikes/ogre/geometry

What is the geometry on her current bike? Does it fit well? If not, what could be better?

I’m an inch taller than her and I’d go for a medium. But part of that is just preference. For bikepacking, I’d say larger is better than smaller.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

If you’re anywhere near Manchester, call into Keep Peddaling and talk to Shona.. Pretty sure she has one you could through your leg over.

Pickers

I’m maybe 2 inches taller, 32″ inseam. I went for a medium and I reckon it’s spot on size wise. There would certainly be space to drop the saddle by an inch or so, 75mm stem gives a good touring position for me.

Pickers

P1030114 by Richard Picton, on Flickr
    Here’s a pic, now I’m back to the PC. Room for movement certainly.

scotroutes

That’s the third photo of that gate I’ve seen today (one of them was mine) 😆

cannondaleking
    Free Member

I’m 5ft 7in and think I should have gone small the medium is a tiny bit too big.

cheekysprocket

Cheers for all that chaps (and chapesses?). Good food for thought. I’ve never known someone to get quite so engrossed in the subtleties of frame geometry and sizing. Everything crossed, there’ll be a wee Ogre in the stable soon…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Surly Ogre sizing conundrum!’ is closed to new replies.