Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Surly Instigator Forks take M10 bolts?
  • thepleasantpheasant
    Free Member

As a surprise present for my friend, I bought him some Salsa Cromoto 26er disc forks. I’d hoped that the dropouts would allow up to 10mm bolted or nutted axles like some DJ rigids do. Alas I got unlucky as Salsa’s dropouts are true to 9mm-QR only whilst my friend’s running 10mm bolts up front. Gutted but at least they can be exchanged for some forks that can. I suppose filing the dropouts would work but after reading the warranty sheet I think it’s a better idea to get something burlier.

How about the Surly Instigators? Are they’re strictly 9mm specific or can they take 10mm bolts?

STATO
    Free Member

MTB front wheels are 9mm axle, so no they wont. But they will take a 9mm bolt through front hub, same as the salsa.

What hub is the 10mm axle?

STATO
    Free Member

Also worth noting, they forks (especially the lighter salsa) will probably fold under him if actually dirt jumping, so probably not the best ‘present’.

thepleasantpheasant
    Free Member

True, I didn’t expect the Salsas to be so skinny in real life. I’ll just exchange them for another fork or parts.

This is the current setup:

STATO
    Free Member

Just catching up on the thread. Ive no idea what axle that is or the current reducers on the forks (possibly 15mm?), 9mm tend to have a brass grip ring on the outside. Anyway, as a pro 2 it could be easily converted to something else.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Surly Instigator Forks take M10 bolts?’ is closed to new replies.