Viewing 14 posts - 201 through 214 (of 214 total)
  • Surly have got the right approach to customer service…
  • tazzymtb

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Other way round here – the more I read of this thread, the less I want to be associated with people who think they’re special because they’ve bought a into a minority brand.
    I’d still love a Disc Trucker, but I’d take the stickers off, just in case anyone stopped me to chat about my sophisticated humour, or how great I was ‘cos I didn’t buy a Boardman.

See, that actually makes you the perfect Surly customer. I love the fact that Surly decals basically fall off when it rains. They’re pretty much the most NON-brand brand of bike you can buy. For that reason saying that buying a Surly is some sort of a fashion statement is patently ridiculous. Sell me a tin of value beans and call me Nigella if it ain’t so…

I also love the fact that my (undecalled) KM and 1×1 both look like kid’s drawings of bikes and would not scare the horses should I be transported through a wormhole to 1920. The fact is that no one passes comments on either bike simply because they just look like bikes…. The fact they both ride so well and put a massive grin on my face whenever i take them out is what’s important to me.

RustySpanner

I completely agree with you.
    Completely.

I really, really like Surly bikes.
    I think they’re too expensive mind, but I love the traditonal approach to their road bikes.
    I’m sure the fatbikes and suchlike are built to the same quality and standards.
    I’ve said this a few times now, but apparantly having a sophisticated sense of humour renders this bit of the post invisible.
    We’ll come back to that later.

For that reason saying that buying a Surly is some sort of a fashion statement is patently ridiculous.

I agree.

But Surly have come up with a marketing strategy and brand image that appeals to the demographic I alluded to in my first post, typified by the comments of some posters on this thread.

Are these posters being ironic?
    I guess we’ll never know, they seem a little undecided themselves:
    Apparantly the first blog from Surly was true-ish, in a funny way, but not true at all because they’re actually really nice and wouldn’t have meant any of the nasty things they wrote.

Then someone said all bikes were great, as long as they weren’t mainstream bikes, which smell and are owned by boring people who never smile.
    But that was all a joke too. Phew!

Then it was a deliberate marketing strategy because they only want to sell bikes to people who have made their mind up, in the right way, about the first blog, and who wouldn’t want to buy one of those other bikes that smell.
    But that might have been a joke too, we’re still waiting for confirmation on that one.

And then someone got angry and said only special people with a sophisticated sense of humour are able to fully understand irony.
    Scientists are currently working out whether this is a joke or not.
    It’s not looking good at the moment though. 🙁

And then it turns out no one mean any of it anyway, not even in an ironic way.
    It was all a joke on the squares who didn’t get the original joke, which wasn’t a joke, except some of it, which just goes to show that there are two kinds of people in the world.
    Those that think this is a mission statement for morons, and those that actually think it’s a mission statement:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU3mc0yvRNk[/video]

I love this thread.
    I’ve learnt so much I never knew before. 😀
    Who knew about otters in tutus?

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Rusty, you’d tell me if you we’re drinking again wouldn’t you.

charliedontsurf

Excellent summary Rusty Spanner…

But you forgot the gay bar, owls in spats, and alice coopers mother.

charliedontsurf

Mr Tall…

No krampus just yet… Now looks like Wednesday. But I feel I should refer you to the small print:

“The most important part of this acronym – ETA – is ESTIMATED. Shit happens. Boats sink, trains derail, production slows, things don’t pass QC, we changed our mind, the color sucked, dock workers strike, planes crash, blizzards, tornados, earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes, pirates.”

Boat was slower than expected… Probably a headwind and rough seas… But it could of been pirates.

RustySpanner

SprocketJockey – Member

Rusty, you’d tell me if you we’re drinking again wouldn’t you.

Mug of tea and the last of the Christmas cake, your honour.

But you forgot the gay bar, owls in spats, and alice coopers mother.

Depends how you define ‘forgot’, really:

charliedontsurf

Visually, pictorially I find this thread rather exciting…. From Donald snear… To clockwork orange….

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I bought a trucker without even considering surly’s brand image and their target demographic.

I read a couple of reviews that said it was quite nice, and found it had a google group of people who’d ridden it a lot, and most of them said it was quite nice.

I’m confused, am I ironically unaware, or just uninformed?

Also, some of my decals fell off, and I am now the proud owner of an “urly” or a “surl” depending on what side of the bike you stand. Should I be upset?

charliedontsurf

I left my pugsley out on a stormy night in some sand dunes. By the morning I had zero decals on one side of my bike.

Oddly surly stickers (not frame decals) are the stickiest thing in the world.

tazzymtb

are the stickiest thing in the world.

no, the stickiest thing in the world is human poo that has been autoclaved..that really is the gift that keeps on giving

tazzymtb

normal STW forumite

now with added surly

see! the power of surly can turn any boring fart into a bearded happy freak hero …with streamers on their bike…..and a nice hat

cock

didn’t think that through properly

😕

Rorschach
    Free Member

First rule of otters in tutus……you do not talk about otters in tutus.

tazzymtb

Rorschach….idiot. I like you xx

Viewing 14 posts - 201 through 214 (of 214 total)

The topic ‘Surly have got the right approach to customer service…’ is closed to new replies.