Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 214 total)
  • Surly have got the right approach to customer service…
  • RustySpanner

Thank god for that, I thought you were being all nichest and serious for a minute.

See, we agree?

As you were. 😀

tazzymtb

Thank god for that, I thought you were being all nichest and serious for a minute.

hahahahahahahahaha

yes I am very serious * 😛

besides which surly are as common as the Jeremy kyle audience. I like my niche….NICHE! 😀

* particularly about giant and trek riders

hora
    Free Member

I really like that. It took BALLS of steel if sanctioned by the owner(s)

When will it get pulled i.e is it a disgruntled employee?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Way WAY TOO try hard…

TBH they just sound like an immature bunch of cox..

But it is what it is… 😉

I might just start emailing them with EXACTLY that kind of stuff just to **** em off! 😈

Houns

They’ve only wrote what every other customer service department/shop thinks

mrlebowski
    Free Member

You reckon?

Sound like a bunch of d1x who are prime for a wind up or 2!

Sandwich

It’s a big meh from me, but I’m not niche enough for them.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Trying to make out that they are somehow alternative is a bit off.

Especially when they are part of the QBP group (quality bike products a $150million business) yet try to maintain an illusion of a backstreet operation in a shed run by a balding geek with glasses and a fondness for self aggrandisement and self promotion.

It’s a big business but marketing to a willing doe-eyed audience (single speeders and steel fetishists) obviously isn’t that difficult.

tazzymtb

I might just start emailing them with EXACTLY that kind of stuff just to **** em off!

this from than man who posted wanting to know if using different front and rear tyre sizes was ok ? To be honest darling it’s not like you’ll have to step outside your comfort zone for inane questions 😆

tazzymtb

Especially when they are part of the QBP group

well to be honest salsa do the racey thing and surly do the surly thing, it’s a very astute business model to ensure that all types of riders are catered for. I mean it’s not like they are trying to sell awful tat by sticking an orange label on it for the sheeple and fanboys is it 😉

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I guess it’s meant to be ironic with hints of truth, but it’s a bit too negative for me. (and their bikes are supposed to be tru with hints or iron right?)

Still they got some forum inches out of it, so they won in the end.

yunki
    Free Member

sur·ly (sûrl)
    adj. sur·li·er, sur·li·est
    1. Sullenly ill-humored; gruff.
    2. Threatening, as of weather conditions; ominous: surly clouds filled the sky.
    3. Arrogant; domineering.

fair enough then

konabunny
    Free Member

it’s a very astute business model

“Brad, Chad, listen up, great news! The metrics on your customer service blog post are through the rough with the bellend and tryhard focus groups!”

tazzymtb

their sales graph would probably look like this

bradley
    Free Member

It’s clearly worked though lol. Got you guys all talking about it…

Raindog
    Free Member

Mleh…

Reluctant
    Free Member

Sounds fair to me; the customer is always wrong.

konabunny
    Free Member

Bradley: I could take a dump on a coffee table and get people to talk about me, but it’s not going to persuade many people to do business with me!

tazzymtb

I could take a dump on a coffee table and get people to talk about me, but it’s not going to persuade many people to do business with me!

unless they are the sort of childish folks with a scatological sense of humour…much like surly owners…they are an odd bunch when I’ve seen them out on the trails….all fat bikes and 29er niche tat

hora
    Free Member

The Surly Pacer- over a grand for that build on a cromoly frame.

Is that right? Im no roadie but it reads whoa

edhornby

bad move I’d say – regular/existing customers will have less impact, potential customers you will lose more than you acquire.

emails sent on a weekend get deleted regardless??? even if you’re being jokey you just don’t say that, your suppliers, creditors, your bank, distribution network are going to see that and you’ll be fielding calls with sarcastic comments at the very least

chewkw
    Free Member

LOL! Trying very hard to be “cool” by showing some attitudes. Coooolllll dudeeee!! Coooooolll! So yesterday …

Now if they are that proud of their brand then they should forever stay with it. Yes, you are right … try not to go to other brand i.e. change company name or be employed by other frame makers.

Not to chicken out or come up with some excuses ok … 😆

Attitude? That’s so yesterday.

Having attitude that’s easy … not having one that’s a Somebody.

Del

Simlarly, there must be a good market for a Cross-Check Disc, but they won’t make one.
    Shame really. Daft to turn money away at the mo.

fair point, but there’s always the soma doublecross dc for that niche, if surly really don’t want to do it, and TBH i’d be surprised if it doesn’t show up in the next year or so. 😉
    and really? ever actually deal with customers? sometimes you really do want to tell them just to foff off. you’d be amazed at just how stupid people can be. look at what gets elected. frankly our company would have been better if it had had a customer acceptance test. well, actually a ceo acceptance test, but that’s another story….

CountZero

Having read the screed that Tazzy quoted, I really can’t see what the problem is. Although some might get all Daily Mail about drinking beer while riding their bike; I prefer to drink beer as part of a bike ride, but that’s just me.

nedoverendsmole
    Free Member

All companies should base their customer services strategies on the “Fawlty Towers” model. Customers are shit- fact

TooTall
    Free Member

potential customers you will lose more than you acquire.

Nope. Always liked their stuff and will now make the effort to buy something Surly. surly hve been doing their own thing for a good while now (Karate Monkey anyone?).
    It made me chuckle, but what really made me laugh was the way it pricked the self-inflated egos on this thread. Some of you lot are just a little too far up yourselves.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Just like surly marketing department then 🙄

konabunny
    Free Member

will now make the effort to buy something Surly…what really made me laugh was the way it pricked the self-inflated egos on this thread. Some of you lot are just a little too far up yourselves.

See? Some people really do fall for the “if you buy our corporations’s product, you’ll totally be sticking it to the squares” line.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Reminds me of sugaRAPE from Nathan Barley.

Idiots.

toys19
    Free Member

Its hardly self inflated, egotistical, or up oneself to only want to do business with people who want to inform and be open about the product/process. If that piece was a joke or not it makes me feel that I would rather spend my money with a company who are prepared to communicate. Look what cotic and on one do, give asmuch info as possible. My main reason for buying two Transition frames was the excellent personal response I got to my inane questions.

If it was a joke or not, it reveals something underlying in the attitude ie contempt for customers.

khani
    Free Member

Surlys PR manager..

Davesport

Having had cause to use the Surly warranty I can proffer the following. The Surly approach to customer service & satisfaction IME is exemplary & definitely 2nd to none. Possibly the best attitude I’ve experienced when it counted the most.

That is all.

Ringo
    Free Member

Jesus there’s some seriously uptight dicks on here, it’s just a bit of a joke, do people really care?

TooTall
    Free Member

See? Some people really do fall for the “if you buy our corporations’s product, you’ll totally be sticking it to the squares” line.

I am amazed that you can type all the way up there.

like Surly because they make over-engineered bikes in big sizes and always have done. Being my height and weight, that can be a draw to a company. My lilac road bike says quite loudly that I buy what fits, not what is cool.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

You’re allowed to like the company and bikes, but their website reeks of pretension.
    On the “Information Hole” tab: “Spews”?

Exactly.

konabunny
    Free Member

My lilac road bike says quite loudly that I buy what fits, not what is cool.

Hey, don’t feel bad because you were sucked in by the marketing. It’s a multibillion pound industry and they spent a lot of time developing their brand. You were just playing your part when you said having read it you would

now make the effort to buy something Surly.

😆

Cougar

Jesus there’s some seriously uptight dicks on here, it’s just a bit of a joke, do people really care?

It’s funny and it’s generated three pages of discussion (and counting). Looks like a win for Surly in my book.

tazzymtb

well considering they posted on the first of feb, and if it wasn’t for the hand wringing up tight dicks of Singletrack pretty much no-one would have noticed, it’s hardly a super cynical marketing ploy is it? In the rest of the mountain biking world no one gives a toss. The middle age middle management masses of this place are hardly their usual market either, so it’s hardly a win is it?

RustySpanner

In the rest of the mountain biking world no one gives a toss.

How do you know?
    We’ll have to compare month on month sales figures for the last few years! 😀

The middle age middle management masses of this place are hardly their usual market either

I’d say we were exactly their market:

I’d love a Disc Tucker or a Cross Check.
    Simple, proven design.
    Should ride well, last for ages and not be too nickable.

I’d rather buy the same thing from Boardman, Edinburgh Bike Coop or Canyon for less cash though.
    I’d actually rather buy one from Tesco for even less cash, if they ever decide to branch out 😀

I can do without the inflated egos and prices that come with niche (or in this case, pseudo-niche) brands – and reliability is an issue too – only ever had issues with bikes from smaller manufacturers – all the mainsteam bikes from big manufacturers have been perfect.

Sorry, but the more I think about it, the more that bit of writing puts me off the brand.
    Childish toss, basically.

The bikes are a different matter – still like those. 🙂
    And the stickers come off easily. 😀

tazzymtb

lolz at rusty….i think i love you, you big cynical cuddly bugger

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 214 total)

The topic ‘Surly have got the right approach to customer service…’ is closed to new replies.