Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Surly Cross check, owners opinions sought.
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

How is yours? I’m idly considering swapping the bits from my cx commuter hoping that it’ll address some things I don’t like about the current bike (high BB gives a perched feeling, stiff ally frame isn’t too comfy after a while among other things. I’m after a winter road bike and sometime off roader, commuter, maybe even a road tour and possibly if I ever do it again the 3 peaks. I don’t like cx racing so thats not a factor.

I’d be interested to hear any feedback or any alternatives that are out there, it’d be fram and forks only and in the same ballpark price wise.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Pretty sure your mate cuddles has one, get a shot of that?.

biffa
    Free Member

Bought one last year to swap the bits off a very racy CX bike from as it just didn’t suit me. It’s now the bike I ride most, road,off road, fire road, trail centre stuff for fun and big days out in the hills locally (highlands) it has been more capable than I ever imagined, I just swap the tyres depending what i’m off to do and thats it.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I love mine. Built it up from a frame in 2009 and its had all manner of set up changes over the years. Its being rebuilt as a comfortable road and mixed surface bike at the moment.

I think its probably the most comfy bike I’ve ever had I also think its a pretty tidy handling bike as well. It isn’t the lightest or the stiffest frame in the world but it just works which is what a bike should be about really.

There is about a million ways to build one and you’ll never get bored trying out all of the different options.

BIGMAN
    Free Member

Currently looking at the Straggler myself to do exact same thing.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Cheers folks, Straggler would be nice but I’ve a load of rim brake wheels that will be used. How is it on the road?

2tyred

Mine’s set up fixed for commuting and general getting about. The fork weighs a ton, so I swapped it for a cheap Planet X carbon CX fork and it felt much better. Raced two CX seasons on it set up as SS, its definitely not a race bike though. I would not want to do the 3 peaks on it, it’s no featherweight!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Surly Cross check, owners opinions sought.’ is closed to new replies.