Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • surly cross check
  • ollie151
    Free Member

has anyone done any touring a cross check

i want to be completly self sufficiant (camping cooking etc) but will be as light weioght as possible

any stories? i know the LHT is a true tourer, but i want something more versatile as i like riding singlespeed too

ive read the cross check can do lightweigh touring

cheers

druidh
    Free Member

Any bike can do lightweight touring and TBH, if I was after a lightweight tourer I’m not sure the CC would be my first choice. Having said that, they are very flexible and capable off-road.

ollie151
    Free Member

what woukd your choice be? im also thinking about a salsa fargo

druidh
    Free Member

Kaaching!

ollie151
    Free Member

not following….

you saying the fargo is the frame for you?

druidh
    Free Member

Fargos are lovely. If I didn’t have my VN Amazon, I’d own one in a heartbeat.

Most important thing for you to do is figure out what sort of handlebar setup you want. If you are after drops of some sort then the Woodchippers on the Fargo are worth considering.

STATO
    Free Member

I have a crosscheck and have used it for a bit of heavy touring…

Parking by dickyelsdon, on Flickr

It was ok, but could be cumbersome if not loaded correctly. It would get a bit flexy trying to move it around or get up steep hills.

For my touring holiday i bit the bullit and bought a LHT…

DSC_0671 by dickyelsdon, on Flickr

Much happier with weight on, infact id say it rides at its best with at least 2 panniers on.

This means i can keep the crosscheck for cyclocross and light touring…

Crosscheck by dickyelsdon, on Flickr

I also had a Fargo, great bike, but its an MTB. Fitting touring tyres was ok but it meant it couldnt go offraod, MTB tyres meant it was slow on road. I found any sort of middle ground was just compromising too much of both aspects, fine if you can deal with that, i couldnt. In the end i sold it and now either tour on an mtb or the LHT. Also, it didnt like a heavy load as much as the LHT, perfect for bikepacking tho.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘surly cross check’ is closed to new replies.