Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Surfers – advice please (cold feet)
  • scaredypants

Me & the Mrs are going to learn to surf – in October 😯

Our mate who's booked it has been advised to get some neoprene socks/boots

Any advice ?

Anything here tickle your fancy? (my LSS I suppose)

Creg

Where are you learning to surf?

I would recommend some 3mm boots at a minimum. Some people prefer ones with split toes (I hate them personally) and others prefer just plain boots.

Try a few pairs on and see which you like.

Alternatively the surf school might have some you can rent/borrow when you have the lessons. I presume they are providing wetsuits?

scaredypants

somewhere devon/cornwally (that's as far as I've got so far)

yeh, suits provided but not boots

I get cold feet a lot, so wanted some thick ones – will they affect my tricks ? 😀

Creg

nah thick boots will be fine.

3mm should be OK, just make sure they are a good fit.

I personally use a 5mm Snugg boot for surfing and a 5mm Alder sock for bodyboarding, both are very good indeed (I use thicker gear because I surf in the north sea where its f**king freezing year round). Xcel also make a very good boot, but they are pricey.

scaredypants

cheers Creg

I spent most of my summer holidays as a kid in the sea at Seaton/Redcar/Scarborough but I'm a proper suvvern softie now – might just look at the thicker ones as well !

BillMC

I wouldn't bother. The 'warm' water lasts roughly until Autumn half term and I like the contact of my feet on the board. Make sure your suit fits well because paddling can be really exhausting in a poorly fitting suit. If you hire a board, go as big as you can get…easier paddling and easier popping up.

hoodoo
    Free Member

I only manage to surf maybe once or twice a year. I bought boots because the board leash would always get tangled up between my toes. The boots stopped this. I then discovered that I had nice warm feet. The boots didn't cost much, could be Gul. No idea how thick they are, however, I suspect that anything will be better than nothing.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I have a set very similar to these

http://www.sortedsurfshop.co.uk/products.asp?pid=2274

but in 3mm. More than warm enough for me, but that's kitesurfing and not spending hours bobbing with my feet submerged. I'd recommend split toe for better balance (having tried both) but it's personal choice. Some dislike the feeling of stuff between their toes.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Surfers – advice please (cold feet)’ is closed to new replies.