Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Surfboards
  • Conor
    Free Member

Bound to be some surfers here (know Bumley is).

I've been a few times on borrowed/hired boards. I'm surfing next weekend for two days then in September for five…. probably better value if I get a basic board now, plus it means I can surf locally when the conditions are right.

So I'm pretty much a beginner, once I'm up on the board I'm fine, so I'd love to get something a little smaller than the gigantic learner ones you get at surf schools.

I'm not going to spend much money… (yet, until I know I'll be good at it and keep at it) guessing this sort of thing would be perfect?

Bic Mini Mal

PS, nearest surf shop is almost two hours drive away for me.

BigJohn

I've got one of those. Fine unless you're as heavy as me. 100kg. Longboards making a good comeback, and Stand Up Paddleboards are getting popular.

Get a board that's right for the beach you'll be at most. I'm thinking of a longboard.

gusamc
    Free Member

bic are fine, see also nsp and I personally like (and my been a few times friends love southpoint 8ft6)

I get my boards of ebay and http://www.a1surf.com/Classifieds/ShowAllClassifieds.aspx

My experience is that board size is a weight/fitness/skill/wave size balancing act – and being middle aged, medium (????) fit, 13st, and getting very few weekends on the water I got an 8ft 6 mctavish (surftech, very light, it was in a sale) and it will go in even minimal conditions and carry my weight

Also check buying info on britsurf, understand delamination and discolouration, you get repair kits on ebay etc

johnny_met
    Free Member

I bought one of those about 3 months ago and have used it regularly and it's been great.

lister

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ot-big-pink-surfboard

😉

drop me an email if you want a photo…it's not a girly pink!

bintangman
    Free Member

I'd go for about an 8ft surftech mini mal type board – it will be pretty light and manoeverable that you can push it through waves to get out back, but strong enough that it'll take the knocks from learning. bics are quite unweildy I think and you may find yourself stuck in the white water a bit. If you get the right board you'll come on leaps and bounds, especially after 5 days solid. Enjoy it!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Where are you? I have a mini malibu made by Stewarts of San Francisco which you can have for £50. It's basically light blue colour with the Stewarts of San Francisco logo, three fins (in perfect order) and a leash. It does need a few dings repairing which you could do yourself with some resin if you're not too bothered about perfection. I need it shifting out of the spare bedroom.

sq225917
    Free Member

Sod that go kitesurfing.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

if he isn't interested in the stewart I might be

a couple of pics, location and size please

email in profile

🙂

doug_basqueMTB.com

Hi Conor, I was in your situation and I was advised to buy a longboard. I just bought the cheapest thing I found second hand from the local surf shop, about 10' with a single fin. I wish that I'd bought a mini mal because the longboard was a bit of a handful in some of the short / steep waves. My mate had a bic longbaord, about 9' or somthing but I can't remember for sure and he totally loved it.

All those opinions are just from me though, a totally rubbish surfer who surfed about 10 times a year!

Now I'm out in the basque country and I've got a fantastic longboard break about 2 mins away but haven't managed to transport my longboard out here yet!

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

If you're looking at beginner pop-outs (Bic, NSP, Cortez, etc.), I'd suggest buying second hand. All of these type of boards will just frustrate you once you improve and they should hold their value when you want to sell it, while you'll lose a fair bit if you buy from new. Plenty of hire shops rent these type of boards as well as the yellow foamie you'll have learnt on. All the main beaches in my area (North Devon) have shops right on the sand.

Sounds like Bintangman is probably about right, but you're better off asking shapers what they'd suggest for you as there are a large number of variables that will influence what you need. There are loads of good shapers in the UK and I'm always keen to support them, rather than buy Taiwanese/Chinese made boards. Getting a custom board made for you is also a lot of fun, particullarly as you can get them sprayed up with skulls and stuff.

Where are you going to be surfing next? I'm assuming you don't live at the beach.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Right, I'm off to the beach for a cheeky longboard session before work. 😀

bigsurfer
    Free Member

I have got a 8'4" Bic Magnum which I highly recomend if you are a larger rider 95kg+. The mini mal group of boards are ideal for progressing from a foam learner board while being able to capitalise on the majority of british wave conditions. I am now looking at Longboards but I will always keep a mini mal in my collection for those bigger messier days.

My wife has a 7'9" Bic and she seems to do really well on that as well. The Bic borads are near indestructable, you can run them into the beach drop it on the beach, let the kids sit on it on the beach (providing the fin is pushed home)

Most shops will rent out Bic or NSP boards why not rent one and see what you think.

Cheers Ben.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Sod that go kitesurfing.

Agreed. None of that floating about in the water waiting nonesense 😀

nickc

My cuz (sort of) makes surfboards up in the North East.

surfboards and skateboards

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

the better foam boards are ok, i've got a couple for the kids and they are very user freindly with a surprisingly decent ride. they also offer really high float so catch waves easy if you are an occasional surfer.

agreed that the chinese shaped customs should be avoided, but personally i would also avoid a 'local shaper' as well because unless you know what you are talking about its very very easy to be ripped off and they have a low resale. i also don't rate at all the glassing of uk boards, but thats another story.

as already posted, i'd say go look for a wide'ish mid legnth fun board made by surftech or similar. the high tech moulded epoxy boards are really floaty compared to polyurethane and are tougher. they also hold their value very well as they are sought after. the shapes, unlike the bics, are excellent.

Conor
    Free Member

You guys are a week late but thanks anyway!!!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

big_n_daft
    I'm in the Leeds/Bradford area, it's not really something I can post. So, unless you are ever travelling around the north (I could meet you, within reason), then it's not probably a goer. If you are still interested then let me know and I'll make the effort to take and send some pics.

Paul

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Sister in law is in Driglington and I'm North Manchester so send some pics

big_n_daft
    Free Member

just a bump please give me shout, ding repair kit waiting!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Sorry B_n_D, been away waterskiing today, just got back, also very busy at work, blah blah blah. I really do want to get it out of the spare room, I'll post up pics monday night, I'll be home from work by 7pm.

I have checked it over and it is in reasonable condition, there are just a couple of places where it obviously requires small resin repairs, otherwise there are some marks on it, but I couldn't feel any obvious soft spots. Other than that, it just needs the old dirty wax removing. I'll also include pics of the bits of damage in the photo shots.

Paul

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

There are pics now up on my flickr account, my ID/user name is hoppy66, I've pictured the worst 2 bits of damage. It's 7ft4" or 224cm mini mal (mini malibu)

It's also StewartSurfboards of San Clemente California not San Fransisco as I previously stated.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

depth? width?

bumley
    Free Member

You can't beat a 6ft thruster! 😯

*Awaits abuse*

And yes before anyone says it…….I know its not a beginners board……its mine and i love it!

p.s. Sorry for late response Conor been flat out at work!!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

B_n_D
    At it's widest point (I measured just below the SS logo) it's 55cm (21 1/2 inch). depth? the board is approx. 5cm (2 inch) thick.

If you want more photos, let me know.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Surfboards’ is closed to new replies.