Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Surface Pro 3
  • Xylene
    Free Member

Anybody using one looking at an i5 128GB with cover.

I want handwriting and note taking.

Was originally going to get a Note 12.2, still may do, but saw Surfaces were reasonable price now.

Surface 3 vs Surface Pro 3 vs Note 12.2

Advise me please.

DaveRambo

I advise you to read reviews on a PC related website

julians
    Free Member

I have a surface pro 3 i5 128gb model, its great, really really good.

Works nicely as a tablet for casual browsing/consuming of content, works like a proper laptop when you need it.

Xylene
    Free Member

^^ read loads of reviews, all tell me that I need one, but which is proving a dilema.

I like the idea of office, but I do a lot of work in google now, office is just handy for opening files when I need it.

I can buy a slightly larger stylus for note to make it more comfortable.

I like the fact android give me access to shit games when I want them, but a surface would give me access to the odd half decent game when i need a play

simon_g

Wife has a Pro 3 i5, as do a few colleagues. If you like OneNote, and want to handwrite stuff (or have other pen-driven apps) it’s just about the perfect device. She also finds it ideal for typical sofa-surfing duties.

Not brilliant as a plain laptop (type cover is not ideal) but OK at the task.

The new non-Pro one is more compelling for me – the new quad-core Atoms are actually fine for most tasks and the 10″ size works better for a tablet.

Xylene
    Free Member

That is where I am having trouble

The nerd in me wants all singing and dancing, not i7 too spendy, but the sensible part of me says go Surface 3 or Note 12.2

However – once I chuck a keyboard and pen on the surface and a keyboard cover on note 12.2 they aren’t far off the 1kUSD for the Pro 3 with cover.

DaveRambo

With hardware I would usually say buy the most expensive (you can afford)- the most memory, fastest processor and largest screen.

You won’t then ever think you wished you’d got the bigger, faster, more memoried. The Surface Pro allows you to do all you want and may want – and is the most expensive therefore the one to buy.

You might be able to get away with a lesser machine but I wouldn’t if I had the choice.

They have been pretty well received for good reason and I’ve been pretty impressed with Office 365 and the integration.

Flaperon

I have the i5 256GB model. It’s great. Get it.

simon_g

Generally yes but with the modern thin and light devices CPUs are thermally limited and will drop in speed to avoid meltdown.

The i7 version of the SP3 won’t do much heavy lifting before it needs to throttle.

Buy for what’s appropriate for your needs with a mind to what might change over the time you’ll use it. Easy to reach a point where you’re spending lots more on needless upgrades that would be better spent on just replacing sooner.

bigrich

Increasingly large numbers of people at work have gone to these over ipads.

I have a surface pro 3 i5 128gb model, its great, really really good.

Works nicely as a tablet for casual browsing/consuming of content, works like a proper laptop when you need it.

Ditto

It’s quiet, it’s fast enough, it’s far more convenient than a laptop and far more advanced than a tablet

Xylene
    Free Member

What about Surface 3 and Pro 3 – is the size and grunt worth it, or is the portability of the Surface 3 give it an advantage and a standard charging socket?

CHB

Big fan of the Surface Pro range. I have an original Surface Pro 1 and it’s fantastic, replacing iPad and Desktop for 95% of the time.
    We have quite a few Surface Pro 3’s deployed at work and they are well regarded.
    The Surface 3 looks intriguing. I like the change in charge port and the fact it still has USB3 and microSD.
    Personally I would buy either:
    128gb Surface Pro 3 OR the 4G enabled Surface 3 when released OR wait to see what the soon expected Surface Pro 4 brings to the party.

Overall though, yes buy one of them!

Travis

I have the Surface Pro 2, and wife saw mine and went for the 3.

They are pretty awesome, the use of the pen to take notes, and, if you have to do any presentations, the ability to high light and draw on the screen is pretty impressive.
    Don’t go for the RT version though, as you might find some limitations on the software.
    She has the 128GB version, with a 128GB Scan disk card in the slot.
    Hers is nice, but I prefer mine as it’s slightly smaller, and I travel a lot.

Xylene
    Free Member

Got an i5 very impressed with it. Type cover included. now need to get a case for it.

custom leather one from etsy maybe.

128gb minin sd cards are a bit spendy though

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Surface Pro 3’ is closed to new replies.