Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Surf School/Lessons – Up North
  • sandwicheater

Morning

Buddy and me had a great long weekend in Cornwall last year and spent a couple of those days learning to surf. We both loved it and would love to pick up where we left off.

We both live in Huddersfield area and would ideally like something within a couple of hours drive.

Could someone recommend a surf school for beginners that can provide boards/wet suits?

Don’t mind travelling further afield if the surf is better but can’t afford Cornwall this year.

skybluestu
    Free Member

From Huddersfield I would recommend the east coast around Scarborough. Produces great surf at times and has a variety of waves for differing abilities. There is a surf shop at Cayton Bay who were always very pleasant when I used to surf up that way and they should be able t advise on any schools etc available.

Cheers

momo

http://www.scarboroughsurfschool.co.uk/ I’ve not used them myself, but a friend of mine who surfs goes up to scarborough and K10 help him out motorbike racing.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    toemul
    Free Member

Used to be one at Tynemouth near Newcastle as well had a couple lessons there.20 years ago mind.

toemul
    Free Member

Yep a quick Google says it still there same nice guy owns it as well.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

I had a lesson with Northside at Druridge bay a couple of years back, instructor was very relaxed and good. The waves were just right, the North sea in April was a bit nippy mind.

TooTall
    Free Member

http://www.tynemouthsurf.co.uk/

Steve Hudson runs it. He has surfed the NE coast for a good 30 years and is a really good bloke. You’d not regret a few nights up there between Tynemouth and Newcastle for a few beers and non-water things to do.
    You won’t see much summer surf on the East coast unless a decent storm hits the North Sea. September onwards sees better conditions all the way up and down the East coast.

sandwicheater

Thanks all. Will look into them all.

Can see this as yet another hobby I can ill afford but will throw myself at with gusto.

olddog

There is a surf school at Saltburn too – easy drive up the A19. The one at Cayton Bay is linked to Secret Spot Surf Shop who have always been really helpful when I used them – but I’ve no experience of either surf school.

I would speak to them to see what they offer and then pick what seems the best value. The key thing is to see how quickly they will get you out of the white water and into trying for the green waves. I would also check what happens if its flat in terms of refund, rescheduling or whatever – it can be flat for extended periods over the summer.

Other than that I would not bother with too many lessons – once you know what you are supposed to be doing its then pretty much about just getting as much water time as you can so your body can learn it.

BTW I surf out on the East coast quite regularly, it isn’t that much of a pain from West Yorks as you might think. May see you out there…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Surf School/Lessons – Up North’ is closed to new replies.