Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Surf holiday for a newbie
  • bobbyatwork
    Free Member

Has anyone got any recommendations? I fancy a surf holiday in September…..

Pook

croyde, north devon.

Lovely place.

docstar
    Free Member

Bundoran in Donegal Ireland. A mate of mine runs a hostel and his brother a surf school and shop. Look at http://www.bundoransurfco.com.

dingabell
    Free Member

+1 for Croyde. Stay at Ruda and you have Croyde Bay, and the next beach round the corner is Saunton which has a really nice slow wave to learn on. Fantastically unspoilt place to go. Steer clear of Newquay. Great beaches but you won’t want to go into town in the evening unless you’re 15 and want to get off your face on alcopops.

bamboo
    Free Member

7 island surf in fuerteventura

yunki
    Free Member

Croyde in September is beautiful in a rugged kind of way.. and ruda is pretty reasonable out of peak season.. take a fatbike if you can, as the dunes behind Saunton are epic..

here’s me rescuing an adventurous yunki Jr from an unplanned dip.. (the beach at Croyde really is on a slope like that too.. 😉 )

allmountainventure
    Free Member

http://www.surf-school-spain.com/

On the Costa del la Luz

jam-bo

Somewhere warm sunny and consistent.

Which rules out the uk…

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

croyde, north devon.

Lovely place.

Crap idea. Croyde isn’t for beginners,especially in September. Saunton is though. There are a couple of surf schools set up in the car park.

Lobb Fields campsite is very close to Saunton, being on the edge of Braunton (never stayed there myself though). Braunton Burrows is ace fun on a cyclocross bike. The larger dunes also work nicely with an old bodyboard.

I miss the Pina smoothy from Wild Thyme café. Be prepared to pay an obscene amount to park at the beach (one of the reasons I was motivated to leave).

jimster
    Free Member

Croyde is a good base – Croyde is fun until it gets too big, when that happens head round the corner to Saunton for a lower more manageable wave.

If it gets a blown out mess at Croyde head for Putsborough at high-tide for a cleaner wave.

Or an alternative – The Gower – stay at Llangennith Hill End Camp site, beach over the dunes, plenty of alternative beaches around to suit your ability, great riding too boot.

rewski
    Free Member

Yep Croyde is ace.

nedrapier

I used to go to Croyde as a default, but now Woolacoombe is the place I’d head to first. So much more space, the beach is something like 3 miles long, so you’ll always be able to find a quieter spot somewhere along.

Croyde’s a bit of a bunfight, ridiculously so if it’s good.

nedrapier

What’s your budget, though?

The best, and most beginner friendly wave I’ve surfed was Pottuvil point, north of Arugam Bay in sri lanka.

Sandy point break with a deep gap between two rocks, wait for a wave to slosh in, ride the backwash out, and within 10 paddle strokes you’re in the right spot, probably on your own or with less than 5. mellow waves, 200 yard rides right onto the beach, step off onto the sand and jog back up for another…

No to wetsuits, no to hours standing in the the whitewater being beaten up, not to draining paddling. Yes to quality waves and a very conducive learning environment.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Surfers Point Barbados?

try Errant Surf, they do lots of holidays that look very nice

for UK, stay in Croyde, surf at Saunton/ Putsborough

Bundoran was “interesting” out of season,

verticalclimber
    Free Member

if your a newbie surfer then surf at saunton sands just round from croyde, excellent for beginners as more sheltered and has good cafe etc

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Surf holiday for a newbie’ is closed to new replies.