• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Surely John Surtees deserves a knighthood?
  • rockhopper70

I watched the racing legends documentary about John Surtees last night. What a remarkable story and (from the programme) a truly lovely chap.
    To win world championships in cars and on bikes is a great achievement and rather than rest on his laurels after retirement, supported his son in racing.
    Terribly poignant that his son was killed in a racing incident, but to put his energy into the air ambulance trust was quite moving.

So, all in, all, surely he should be a deserving recipient of a knighthood? I watched that programme and couldn’t work out why he wouldn’t be.

And what a garage…I hope he has strong locks!

porter_jamie

agree

rewski
    Free Member

He’s a bit of a local hero where I’m from in Kent, wouldn’t surprise me if he’s been offered a knighthood.

Garry_Lager

So, all in, all, surely he should be a deserving recipient of a knighthood? I watched that programme and couldn’t work out why he wouldn’t be.

He deserves one without question, even taking into account that the establishment is very stingy with knighthoods to gladiators. The list of sporting recipients is pretty short, with most people on it being extraordinarily successful in their sport. It’s not like Whitehall where you get one for 30 years service.

I still would have thought his achievements were so singular that he would have been knighted, but if it hasn’t happened yet I doubt it will.

richmtb

They gave his to Sir Jackie Stewart by mistake.

His official title is Sir Sir Jackie Stewart as he refused to give the second Sir back when the mistake was noticed*

*With thanks to Sniff Petrol

kcal

he may have declined one?

MSP

I saw a documentary on knighthoods a few years ago, it isn’t just about being deserving, basically someone has to campaign (for want of a better word) for a person to be considered, and then of course they have to accept it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Surely John Surtees deserves a knighthood?’ is closed to new replies.