Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Suprised by alfine hub
  • sm500
    Free Member

Have to say have been toying with hub gears for ages, rohloff was going to be my first choice but being a ression an all its just to costly to justify. So nxt best thing i thought was the alfine 8. Purchased complete wheel from wiggle 250 pounds fully built which i didnt think bad. Very easy to install into my bike and up and running, inital impressions are very good. Have been running bike as a ss for a number of yrs and now its got 7 more gears, its very usefull to have gears for the rd work in between the muddy lanes that i ride. I chose to ride ss after getting fed up of chain suck and cleaning, i love the simplicity of ss but at the mo am liking the extra few gears for the in between rd sections. May be i should have waited for the 11 speed version but as of yet its not been thrashed by the stw riders to find any weakness.
    I chose the 8 speed because from trawling through the forums have been impressed by the general comments and its nice to see wheels and hubs going strong after a few yrs in the mud. Ta

MrNutt
    Free Member

why not also use the gears on the trails now?

cynic-al
    Free Member

who says he wont? 😛

sm500
    Free Member

I am 😛 trouble is i keep forgetting i have them!!!

tandaylor
    Free Member

Can I ask the weight weeny question?

How do the weights compare between a 1 x Alfine setup and a 2 x 9 XT setup?

I can’t stand maintaining rear mechs, so the Alfine really appeals.

If I bought a Nexus would I be miserable?

lucien

Alfine hub is heavy, you can feel the weight when you ride – payoff is limited maintenance – I wouldn’t use one in the summer and wouldn’t use one on a full suss bike

tandaylor
    Free Member

humpf

trail_rat
    Free Member

lucien – iirc its lighter than a rohloff so it shouldnt be heavier than a 2 x 9 set up , how ever its more concentrated and this means the bike is less skippy over bumps and alot more is transmitted into your backside

sm500
    Free Member

Yep i can say i felt the weight of the alfine since converting the bike from ss, but to me its been a bonus as i find it grips so much better than the ss wheel its replaced. I swapped out the rear tire from the ss wheel and put it on the alfine wheel, when i stand up and peddle it gives more weight over the rear wheel hence more grip. For what i want the hub for its great i can see its going to be a bonus for the winter, if you are into drops and generally jumping and humping on the trails then i guess you might notice the weight ,)

tandaylor
    Free Member

I like skippy over bumps, see.

Some sort of Hammershcmidt style device with more than just an over-drive gear would be a better solution, then. Or a carbon fibre shelled, titanium geared, ceramic bearing’d Super Alfine hub, with carbon rims to keep the weight down.

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

I’ve been impressed by how smooth it is compared to the Rohloff. The shifter takes a bit of getting used to a bit like going to rapid rise, but there’s a new one with conventional setup on the way with the 11sp version.
    Good kit on the whole.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Suprised by alfine hub’ is closed to new replies.