Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Supposedly Tough and Hardy Mobile Phone – Sonim XP3 – Any good?
  • jackthedog
    Free Member

I know, mobile phones are right dull. But I've soaked and battered my ancient Nokia while out riding so many times it's finally died.

I'm wanting a handset only – as I'm a pikey PAYG sim user – that can survive this sort of treatment. Does anyone have experience of this phone? Either in JCB, Land Rover or plain Sonim guise?

Or might there be something else out there that would suit my complete lack of care when it comes to phone treatment? I'm only 27 but a bit crap with technology so I like Nokia's easy to use menus and that. Would the Sonim's menus and functionality blow my stupid mind?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Best bet is to have a normal phone and keep it in a dry bag.

I either use something like a sailing dry bag, or the rather handy ziplock ones they give away at airports these days!

Or have a look here – http://www.over-board.co.uk/catalog/index.php

jackthedog
    Free Member

Ooh, those aqua phone cases are excellent. Good link, thanks.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Good for battery operated car keys etc as well.

Shakey
    Free Member

The Sonim looks good but the friends I know who have them so they have not lived up to expectations. Admittely they probably didn't treat them very well but they are meant to bve a tough phone.

The Samsung M110 however appears to be pretty good!

jackthedog
    Free Member

The Sonim looks good but the friends I know who have them so they have not lived up to expectations.

Oh. Shame. I preusme that means they broke em?

*toddles off to Google Samsung M110*

UncleFred
    Free Member

Sony Ericson C702

Like a regular camera phone but water resistant. Fairly good 3.2mp camera. Packed with features.

However it's about as tough as a John Inman Convention.

sheeps

not the c702. Mine has been 'repaired' 3 times and replaced twice in 9 months. I was seduced by the idea of a robust phone, but the C702 is definately not it. Got dust and moisture inside and kept turning itself off.

Rubbish phone (which is presumely why they are not often seen!)

Waiting for upgrade time 🙂

UncleFred
    Free Member

Mine kept on shutting itself down too. Firmware update fixed that.

Northwind

I have a Samsung M110- rated as dustproof and water resistant, and good shock resistance too. Not killed it yet. On the down side, it's the worst phone in the world… Horrible software, so unfriendly to use, it takes about 10 seperate menus and options even to make a call. But still, durable. Has a torch as well.

In an ideal world, Nokia would still make the 5100, or some modernised version… Great phones. The M110 is basically their take on the concept, but despite about 6 years of progress it's worse in every way. Even the torch is worse. I only replaced mine because it finally succumbed to senility, due to age not abuse I should say, it was immune to everything I could throw at it.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I like my c702 firmware upgrade and its all cool. great pics GPS-a and 3G:)

jackthedog
    Free Member

I'm disappointed at the lack of a good quality hardy Nokia.

stealthcat

There's meant to be a new "robust" Nokia coming out in September or thereabouts; the previous version of it has lasted me 2 or 3 years, despite getting damp regularly and having some pretty big dents in the fascia. The only issue I've ever had is that it has phases of crashing for no apparent reason, but it seems to have got better as it's got older, so I'll be waiting for the new version and will see what the reviews are like in a few months…

MrAgreeable

I have a Nokia 5500 Sport which is an OK phone apart from the self-detaching rubberised keypad. That said mine has lasted a couple of years now, thanks to judicious dabs of superglue, and you can get them for about fifty quid on ebay.

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Uncle Fred, where'd you get the firmware update for your c702? I've had a quick look on the sony website & couldn't find anything

Thanks

UncleFred
    Free Member

You have to download the update service from here http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/support/softwaredownloads/c702?lc=en&cc=ie

then follow the instructions. Make sure to back up your phone first though as you'll lose everything on it during the update.

timber

nokia 1100
    successfully dried out many times, has exited the lorry window on a roundabout (slid across dash) and was retrieved functioning, have crashed on it plenty, had it booted across the yard and all sorts it ran strong for 3 years

used to go through work phones at a rate of one/week roughly until I got this, that includes the original 'tough' nokia having it's screen cracked on the second day – my last job was quite heavy on phones and used them quite a bit

VanHalen

i have a nokia 5500 sport which has worked for the last 2 years.

the keypad has yet to detatch (its nearly there tho) but i`m no great texter.

might go posh and drybag next upgrade.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Supposedly Tough and Hardy Mobile Phone – Sonim XP3 – Any good?’ is closed to new replies.