Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Supporting your old school/college/university: Do you?
  • miketually
    Free Member

*Tells butler to make servants burn £50 notes in front of miketually*

There are £50 notes?

ChrisL

I went to the same uni as Northwind and donate to the same alumni/access fund. It seems like a worthwhile thing to give money to.

stevextc
    Free Member

Alumni donations are not really going to help on the culling

I’ve actually been half active in my BSc. Uni but mainly in good intentions rather than proper support …

I’m on mailing lists and have done a few socials etc. over the decades then 2 months ago? I see they are closing the department as it’s not profitable enough..

My MSc. uni stays open because it has industry sponsors …

It’s a shame that the one doing academic work on volcano and earthquake prediction doesn’t get industry sponsorship and the one turning out people to work in the oil industry does… I can’t say predicting earthquakes or volcanic eruptions is a waste of research time so much as noone is willing to pay for it.

Dickyboy

Remember seeing a chart at my son’s school showing recent parental contributions – there were two individual donations of £50k, kind of explained why that particular state grammar school felt more like a private school

munrobiker
    Free Member

it’s not profitable enough.

I knew before I read your last paragraph that this would be geoscience related. They wanted to close mine down while I was still studying because it wasn’t “worthwhile”- i.e. it wasn’t a money spinner.

stevextc
    Free Member

@Munrobiker….

I understand it’s not ONLY geoscience…. but what I don’t understand is how English Literature or such somehow gets deemed profitable!!!

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

My old school used to be direct-grant but is now fully private and is raking in enough money from the people paying to go, and from charity status.

My old college at Uni appears (on looking at their latest accounts) to have funds of £150 million including £120 milion in endowments, and only takes about 120 undergraduates a year…

I don’t think they would be the best place for me to give money.

However I have given to the local state primary my sons have been to, and when the younger one leaves his very good comp to go to sixth form, will probably give some money to them. They need it.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Supporting your old school/college/university: Do you?’ is closed to new replies.