Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Supported LEJOG / JOGLE
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

I’d like to do LEJOG or JOGLE (in 9or10 days) in 2017 or 2018 (depending on permission and finances!) and would like to do it supported. I’ve found quite a few companies on Google, but they all say they’re the best and its a lot of money to spend based on a shiny website. I know there are a few people on here who’ve done it (or similar), so can anyone recommend any suitable companies (also what should I avoid)? Thanks

scotroutes

The RAB is very popular if you don’t mind crowds. We do a lot of work with Peak Tours (dozens/hundreds per year) and I’ve never heard anything bad from their customers.

crazy-legs

The RAB is very popular if you don’t mind crowds

“The RAB” being this:
    http://www.rideacrossbritain.com/

All inclusive – pretty much like doing 9 Sportives in 9 days.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Cheers both, but I’m not sure I fancy the ‘crowds’. Can anyone recommend anything slightly smaller?

scotroutes

Try Peak Tours. It’s groups of 10-20 riders.

FWIW, I did a LEJOG as a supported ride for Marie Curie. It’s nice having someone else worry about logistics but you do have to accept that route, timings, food and accommodation are out of your hands and may not be your first choice. I’ve considered doing it again but would try self-supported just for a change.

AlasdairMc

I know it’s not what you asked, but do you really need the support? I did it with a mate and we just booked our accommodation by guessing distances on a big atlas and then verifying on Google Maps. The most we paid, albeit in 2012, was £54 a night for B&B, and we reckon it cost us each £600 or thereabouts for 10 days all in.

Gear was carried either in a seatpost rack (him) or a Carradice bag (me)

JEngledow
    Free Member

do you really need the support?

Possibly not, but it would be nice to have someone deal with the logistics (and sort any headaches for me) and by not carrying luggage I can do it a little quicker!

cakefest
    Free Member

Try Bike Adventures. Personal scale, ride at your pace, lots of support, great fun. https://www.bikeadventures.co.uk/product/lejog-end-to-end-9-day-challenge-aug-2016/

poolman
    Free Member

If I did it again I would hire a camper or a van and share the costs out. Then you can stop where you want, carry spares, have a meal waiting for you, prearranged coffee stops.

In fact, I would take spare whole bikes so minor mechanicals can be fixed later.

I bet if there’s 4 or more it would be cheaper than hotels.

scotroutes

I bet if there’s 4 or more it would be cheaper than hotels

That would depend on how much it was costing to pay the driver. And then it would have to be a 5 berth van….

I do get a laugh at folk doing it with their own support and that have cars/vans driving behind the rider(s) with hazards on and the vehicle all stickered up though.

JEngledow
    Free Member

I bet if there’s 4 or more it would be cheaper than hotels.

Possibly, if you can get a friend to do it for free, but I don’t know anyone willing to spend 9/10 days slowly driving the length of the country waiting around for hours on end (I imagine it would be a very boring undertaking and not worth using a weeks worth of holiday for!).

crazy-legs

The riding itself isn’t particularly the issue, it’s all the sundry crap that goes along with it.
    Washing kit, finding places to eat/stay, , fixing bikes, fiding a shop to fix the bike, do you have enough kit…?

The RAB isn’t everyone’s idea of fun and you do get a certain crowd there – a lot of corporate types – but the ability to follow a route, arrive at basecamp, have all your food laid on, kit wash available just makes everyone relax.

I used to work in a bike shop in one of the towns that most LEJOGers pass through and they always seemed a bit more stressed. Looking for places to eat, they’d been delayed and did we know of anywhere they could stay, could we fix their bike…?

Support just removes all that extra angst. Part of the challenge with getting a camper is you still need to find mates who are all free at that same time, who all want to do that ride and to have someone who is content to drive 1000 miles for you!

scotroutes

Transport to/from JoG can be a real pain but luckily there’s an Inverness based company that can fix that for you. Modesty forbids me from providing a link but if you search for John O’Groats bike transport I’m sure you’ll find us. 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

How about remote support from spouse/friend? Around midday you ring up saying I’m at X and will probably do another Y miles so can you book me in somewhere around that point? Your “support” does the honours and calls/texts you back so you just have to ride along and then find the B&B/pub/whatever.

scotroutes

Most folk do that remote support thing a couple of days in advance. When north of Perth it’s almost essential to book ahead as options are so limited.

FWIW, I cycled from JoG to Inverness on Sunday, down NCN 1, and it’s definitely preferable to the coast route.

whitestone
    Free Member

When my wife did LEJoG she went from Altnaharra to Bettyhill rather than Tongue (NCN 1). I’ve only driven those roads but it looked a much nicer road to cycle on than the road to Tongue.

crazy-legs

All the times I’ve done it we’ve gone up the middle via Altnaharra to Bettyhill then turned right. Lovely road.

Can’t understand the people who take the A9 / A99 option up the coast, it’s a horrendous road.

scotroutes

Both central routes are great roads. Strathnaver is a bit more “gentle”. Ben Loyal towers over the Tongue route like some mis-placed remnant of Skye. The view from Coldbackie and the Kyle of Tongue is one of the best in the Highlands.

RustySpanner

Hopefully doing this next year, possibly camping, possibly not.
    We’ll give you a ring nearer the time if you don’t mind?

Great advice.
    🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

Transport to/from JoG can be a real pain but luckily there’s an Inverness based company that can fix that for you. Modesty forbids me from providing a link but if you search for John O’Groats bike transport I’m sure you’ll find us.

johnogroatsbiketransport.co.uk certainly made coming home nice and simple when I did it a couple of years ago 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Supported LEJOG / JOGLE’ is closed to new replies.