Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Supplementing the commute, night rides and turbos.
  • shamus
    Free Member

I’ve taken a significant hit in fitness over a 2 month period of missing weekend rides, night rides and commutes due to work demands. This has eased up now but the admin involved in cycling to work which is only 6miles each way is irritating. I don’t have anyone to night ride with at the drop of a hat anymore. I might have something available Monday/Tuesdays that might become regular depending on work again.
    Question is, how do people keep their CV fitness up during the crappy months? Turbo? Rollers? Running?

Bregante

Are you me?

My commute is 5 and a bit miles but some silly working hours (the odd 20 hr day some 4.00 am starts and no certainty of a finish time) took their toll in the summer and I jacked it in as the faffing wasn’t worth the marginal benefit I get from the exercise.

Over the last few months however I’ve got into running. I’m no athlete but have built up to around 25 miles a week on average and I’ve just started cycling in and then running home, then vice versa the next day.

Loving it so far but probably only works if you have properly secure bike storage where you can leave your kit overnight.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

You just have to find what works for you. I used to absolutely love spin classes but gave them up to save on the gym fees. Tried using the turbo trainer but got so bored. Then started using the turbo trainer with trainerRoad software and that work for me. Just involved enough to keep me interested and coming back for more.

shamus
    Free Member

Bregante – I used to run a bit but have not been in quite a while, it bored me to distraction and I lost a lot of cycling power. I have got storage and a shower at work so kit isn’t an issue. Although I like running in the rain far less then cycling! Down in Plymouth, its never really truly cold, just bloody wet, occasionally icy, but mainly miserable.

Muppet – I know everyone will find a different balance, I was mainly asking to see how people mix up their training during the working week in winter. I had a great balance in summer (bloody loads of MTB and road riding) but am struggling to get TITS (time in the saddle) now winter has rolled in. There’s probably things I could be doing I’ve never thought of!
    Is the turbo as boring as it sounds? I don’t fancy going gym, a small amount of gym fees gets me a turbo I can use for years…

iainc

I’m not able to commute and time is tight between work and kids. This is what I squeeze in during the winter : Mon – Velodrome, Tue – an hr swim, while eldest at life saving, wed – 2 hr club mtb ride. Thu – sometimes velodrome, sat – an hr swim while youngest in lesson. Sun – early 3 hr mtb ride, home for midday.

That only all works if not away with work, late meetings, wife has extra stuff on.

Always a challenge, but the biggest change for me has been the ability to get at least one track session in

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Supplementing the commute, night rides and turbos.’ is closed to new replies.