Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Superstart Switch Evo Hubs – Changing end caps
  • bland

Is this quite quick and easy to do?

Im thinking of turning my pipedream Sirius into a SS and just having one set of wheels which are on teh Full Sus at the moment. Is switching 142mm rear to 135mm QR rear and 15mm to 9mm QR front but wondering if it would be wiser to put the £25 towards a second set of cheap 2nd hand wheels rather than faff about with swapping between the two?

Anyone else do this?

johnnystorm

Changing the fronts is a 30 second job. Changing the rear axle is a bit more faff, the videos online show the axle just popping out, mine put up a fair bit of resistance but nothing a gentle tap with a hammer couldn’t cure (seriously, a swift tap). I expect it would be a lot easier doing it again.

While you are at it you might as well upgrade to 10mm rear QR too, its about a tenner for the axle and £7 for the qr

mamadirt
    Free Member

I regularly switch between 12mm Maxle and q/r on my rear hub. Dead easy (q/r adaptors require 2 x 5mm allen keys and the 12mm axle needs 2 x 17mm cone spanners) < 1 minute job.

mine put up a fair bit of resistance but nothing a gentle tap with a hammer couldn’t cure (seriously, a swift tap). I expect it would be a lot easier doing it again

Yeah, plenty of anti-seize and you can swap with, er, gay abandon 😉

b45her
    Free Member

i’ve not tried the superstar hubs but on hopes its a 10 minute job to switch the front and rear hub adapters, the fronts simply need lifting out and swapping and the rear is just a case of tapping out the QR bits and bearing and then replacing it with the relevant spindle .

james
    Free Member

Switch fronts are easy. The thru axle adapters will pop off in your fingers (20mm ones do, so I assume 15mm will). The QR ones might need a little leverage with something due to the o-rings. Though if you lose one of the 2 o-rings per adapter they’ll still stay put but you can pull them out with your fingers

“upgrade to 10mm rear QR too, its about a tenner for the axle and £7 for the qr “
    The only thing against the superstar 10mm QR thru-axle would be the steel axles make them not the lightest. The american classic 10mm thru axles appear to be the same apart from being lighter due to iirc aluminium axles, £17
    If you’re a worrier or just don’t like external cams then DT RWS (QRish) 10mm thru-axles are lighter again and aren’t thaaat much more, £30/35
    Off the top of my head I don’t konw of an internal cam’d thru-axle (ie like shimano/mavic)

johnnystorm

SS do both steel & alloy 10mm rear axles. I’ve got the alloy one in mine. 🙂

I’ve just looked couldn’t see the steel but here is the alloy one. £13, I was a bit optimistic!

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=51&products_id=221

bland

Ah dont sound too bad then. Good shout on the 9mm front and 10mm rear QR too, didnt even think about that.

Cheers guys

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Superstart Switch Evo Hubs – Changing end caps’ is closed to new replies.