Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Superstar XCX wheelset
  • sneakyg4
    Free Member

Anyone running a set of these? Looking for a cheap second set to run slicks on, and cheap wheels with a hub for maxle light are thin on the ground, they seem like a bargain at £130. But some real world opinions would be helpful.

Ta

wookie
    Free Member

‘You get what you pay for’ ie a cheap wheelset.

Ive got a pair of the AM Wheelset and have had a few problems. The front bearings failed after only 3 months use. SS accused me of jet washing my bike (which i never have done) but did replace the bearings as a good will gesture (the rear i just replaced myself a week later).

Ive also noticed an increase of punctures but its impossible to point at just the wheels.

They are cheap though and do well if you are on a tight budget.
    Personally id spend a bit more and get a more reliable wheelset if you can afford it.

Steve

ads678

I got a pair of XCX 29er wheels last October, they haven’t been abused, mainly used for commuting on road and canal tow paths but they are still running perfectly fine. No issues what so ever.

Delivery was superfast and they look better than I thought they would which was a bonus.

Decent wheels if you ask me. I’m happy with them.

righog
    Free Member

I have ran a pair of the AM’s for about a year on my Soul, which I use for lighter XC rides and have not had a single problem with them. Because of this I bought a set of the XCX’s but I have not used these much as yet, but being able to easily change axle sizes has proved really useful on what are a spare set of wheels. Great value IMO.

sneakyg4
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments guys, will have a think about it as I ma not the lightest rider.

Doug
    Free Member

Got 4 sets of switch wheels from CX to DH and the only problem I’ve had needing to lube some creaky spokes at the hub end. I’ve used one set for DH duties for a few years and although a little lighter now I have been up to 19st at times so they have been put through the ringer. Easy to strip and service too which is always good.

composite
    Free Member

I have 2 sets of switch wheels the XC and the AM. The AMs have taken some abuse the XC have not taken much abuse but have taken a lot of miles. After about 18months I’ve had no problems.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Superstar XCX wheelset’ is closed to new replies.