Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Superstar XCR BB chain guide, how to fit
  • eddie1971
    Free Member

Hi guys, changing from triple to 1×9 set up. I have jusr purchased a Superstar XCR BB chain guide but confused with the lack of instructions provided. I’m running a Truvativ GXP BB in 68mm shell with 2.5 spacers either side, Am I right thinking I just remove the 2.5 spacer from drive side and that will give the correct chain line.

Please help

mikey74
    Free Member

The back plate effectively replaces one spacer.

eddie1971
    Free Member

thanks mikey, so my assumption is correct ?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Yes, it just replaces a spacer.

I found it a struggle to stop it rubbing at one extreme of the gear range or the other. In the end I set it up so that it doesn’t rub in the big sprocket, cos I’ll be going more slowly when using the big sprocket so more likely to hear any rubbing.

I found I had to make a custom plastic spacer out of a milk bottle to go between the guide mounting plate and the guide, to space it correctly – the circular bb spacers supplied (thin slivers) can only be used to space the chainset outwards in relation to the guide mount plate (i.e. spacers between guide mount plate and the BB cup. Trying to space the other way (spacers on the shell side of the guide mount plate and it moves both the guide and the chainset out together.

If that makes any sense whatsoever.

Adjusting the height was also a bit trial and error so that it keeps the chain on but doesn’t rub on the chainset arms. And also when the chain is running on the small sprockets, as the angle of the chain changes vertically as well as across the sprockets.

eddie1971
    Free Member

thanks mtbtomo, very much so a trial and error process but can’t complian for the price

thanks for the help m8

Dannyp
    Free Member

Is the E thirteen XCX guide any better/easier to get setup does anyone know?

phinw
    Free Member

After fiddling for ages with the provided spacers on mine, in the end I did the same as mtbtomo – put a 1mm washer between the plastic cage and the bb arm to get itperfect. I’ve also heard of people putting a small washer at the back of the cage so it is slightly wider at the back than the front to avoid chain rub at either end of the cassette.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Spent 15 minutes playing with the spacers to get the perfect chain line. No need for destructions…

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Indeed the cage could do with being marginally wider at the back. I might add a washer in there too.

DannyP – I doubt other brands are any easier to fit and set up. Its all a case of washers and spacers I would guess.

jam-bo

Is the E thirteen XCX guide any better/easier to get setup does anyone know?

Yes, much better, easier to set up. Stiffer, never drops/jams the chainand not that much more money.

whinosp
    Free Member

I had to space my cage out approx 2 mm with a random washer from my toolbox. Chainring now sits bang in the middle of the cage with no chain droppage.

jam bo – I assume you’ve set up both, but how do you gauge the stiffness of the product? It sits on the frame, and when riding you don’t notice it?

jam-bo

The superstar product flexes and allows the chain to jump off. It then flexes back and jams the chain between the plate and chainring.. It seems plenty have experienced this and it’s common with cheap chain devices of all types.

The e13 doesnt.

whinosp
    Free Member

Fair enough. Hasn’t happened since I spaced mine.

Northwind

E13 BB mount is functionally identical and no easier to set up. The Superstar frame mount one seems pretty damn flexy though, not very convincing but the BB mount one is as solid as it needs to be, once set up right the chain’s on for the duration (except if you backpedal or when off the bike, but the E13 is the the same)

<edit- I see Jam bo is talking about the tube-mount one, that makes sense- OP here has a BB one though so won’t have the same issues>

I did manage to break mine, by forgetting it was there and rubbermalleting the cranks out through the cage 🙄 My fault, but the plastic is relatively brittle and certainly not as tough as the E13. But spares are available, and tbh I’m not sure if that sort of toughness is needed for a part like this, except to defend against forgetful people with hammers.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

The superstar product flexes and allows the chain to jump off. It then flexes back and jams the chain between the plate and chainring.. It seems plenty have experienced this and it’s common with cheap chain devices of all types.

Used mine for 10 months and never experienced that once. Maybe I set mine up differently (ie, correctly).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Superstar XCR BB chain guide, how to fit’ is closed to new replies.