Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Superstar Wheels – Switch SP hubs and Alex XCR rims, any good?
  • squin
    Free Member

Superstar Switch SP XCR Wheelset

Hi,

Been a long while since I rode a mtb, but looking to buy a few parts. Anyone have any experience of the wheels above? Switch SP hubs and Alex XCR rims.

Seem a good price but Superstar used to have an ‘interesting’ reputation a few years back when I was riding last.

Thanks,

Stu.

flybywire
    Free Member

switch hubs on 29er wheels are good.. still smooth after 2000miles
    build is ok, spokes evenly tensioned. the own brand rims are a bit weighty

warpcow
    Free Member

Build quality can be hit or miss and the original bearings won’t last long, but value is still good over-all. If I had to, I’d probably go for them.

hunty155
    Free Member

I got that wheel set two years ago in a sale (but with white spokes). The build quality on mine was brilliant and being fairly local to them ive made use of there lifetime truing a couple of times over the years. The rims are solid for a xc race rim. I weigh 14 stone (last time I checked ahhhh) and I’ve ridden everything on them. Thetford sherwood Whinlatter and a holiday doing the 7 stanes. Finally got the front bearings changed last week and are now at home on my rigid inbred ss. I love them but I’m sure someone will be along soon to say there’s fell apart just looking at a trail.

moonboy
    Free Member

Thread resurrection!

A few months on, how are the wheels?

And does anyone know the internal width mm?

They do look a bit bargainous for a light rim, hmmm.

nach
    Free Member

I have superstar wheels with about 800 miles on them. They still spin well, I’d probably buy switch hubs again. SS rims: Not so much. I *cough* lack finesse, so will be getting something burlier to build up.

BillOddie

I have put 1700km on a set of Switch HUbs laced to Pacenti DL31 rims on my Karate Monkey.

Been faultless aside from one spoke coming loose which I retensioned and have been fine since.

hambl90
    Free Member

I’ve had two sets of their switch hubs on am490 rims and have been excellent value for money .

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Superstar Wheels – Switch SP hubs and Alex XCR rims, any good?’ is closed to new replies.