Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Superstar wheels – any good
  • Big-M
    Free Member

I’m after a reasonably priced wheel set for a 4cross/razzing type build, so fairly strong but cheap enough that I won’t cry if(when) I ding them…

Superstar look half decent, any other suggestions?

jairaj

I’m very happy with my Superstar build but if you do a search you will get some mixed results.

Main issue seems to be be the build quality can be a bit sometimes with spokes loosing tension after a bit. but just factor in an extra £15 into the cost to get your wheels trued by your local shop and they still come in at a bargain price.

They also have a crash replacement policy which might come in handy if you’re going to be giving your wheels a hard time.

dan1980
    Free Member

I got a set of stans flows on superstar evo hubs a year or two back. Hubs have performed well, and changing bearings is easy.

First set of bearings didn’t last to long, but stuck some decent replacements in and they’re still going strong.

One wheel went out of true pretty quickly, but got my lbs to sort that, and it’s been spot on ever since.

All in, I’d recommend them.

dan1980
    Free Member

Double post…

kilo

Both mine (f&r flows on s/star hubs) needed truing after a month or so, as said if you’re happy to risk this extra expense or can do it yourself they seem to be good value. You could price up Merlin’s as well.

toys19
    Free Member

I’ve got/had three sets, never had even the slightest issue. But my mate got a pair and they went very wobbly on the 2nd ride..
    I would still buy them.

scandal42
    Free Member

My Crest on Evo’s look well built, they are in the box mind.

akira

Same as above, good price but I’ve had some pretty drastic spoke loosening. Check them regularly for a while after purchase and you’ll be fine.

iolo
    Free Member

They are allegedldly are very good.
    One of the best threads ever on here was from a hater who set up a website to slate them. He came here expecting sympathy and STW,being STW destroyed him and his argument.
    He went away crying.

mountainsofsussex
    Free Member

Had a pair of Stan’s Flow on Switch Evo for 6 months or so now. First set I got were appalling. Half of the spokes were so loose a park tension meter was off the bottom of the scale. And about half the nipples were rounded off with a nice golden finish to the spokes where the brass had gone. After some grumpy emails starting that yes I did know what I was talking about and no they weren’t acceptable, I got a new set and they are fine. Rear free hub whizzes in a pleasant subtle fashion and no need for trueing yet. So, recommended if you have the time to send back if you don’t like them!

mcnultycop

On about my third ride on them the front completely de-tensioned, the back wheel was on its way too. As above £15 at the LBS and they’ve been fine since.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

They are allegedldly are very good.

who says that – no one I have ever seen?

build quality is very variable – sometimes OK and many times poor.

People talk of re-tensioning after a few rides as being acceptable, but it is sign of a poor build.

So if you can trim up/check your own wheels when you get them, then they are OK as the value is good, but don’t expect solid wheels – you might get a good build but don’t expect it.

Also I have seen several problem threads with the telsa hubs, the switch evo ones seem to be better – but these are really the novatech hubs so if you look at other builders using these hubs their prices will be seem good value as well.

dickie
    Free Member

I’ve had pair of Stans Crest on Switch hubs for a couple of years – they have been great, & never touched them servicing wise.

oldnick

Got some very light Bor XMD 333’s on SS Tesla hubs on the singlespeed and they’ve been fine, also got some SS 26″ XCX on Switch hubs that are perfectly true and very good for fitness (weigh a ton) that I must flog sometime.

timthetinyhorse

I have a set, rear wheel built on superlegra hub and front on the cheaper one (cant think what its called)fitted to my enduro bike over a year ago, done france, more uk trails that i can shake a stick at, never done any maintenance and they are still going great, cant fault them at all 🙂

Northwind

I have seem some that were as good as you could ask for, and some that were frankly shit. (if you send someone out a warranty replacement set that still isn’t bloomin round, you’re doing it wrong) I think personally I’d still buy them but just budget for the possibility of a rebuild being a requirement- as a parts kit they’re still great value.

FOG

Had a set of the very reasonably priced Pacenti rims on Switch hubs for a couple of months and they are fine. After all the moans on here about tension, I obsessively check the spokes every ride but so far nothing to report. These wheels were half the price of any Hope options and they don’t seem half as good.what I mean is they are excellent vfm!

Big-M
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback, they’re current favorites. I like the idea of the switch hubs, I’m happy to do a bit of truing or get them trued by my LBS.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

If you can true your own wheels, they’re good.

BoardinBob

3 years on a set of slick hubs with XC430 rims. Zero problems and never needed any maintenance

_tom_
    Free Member

Had mine for a few months now and no issues yet. I’m using Pacenti Dl31 rims on Switch hubs I think. The gunmetal finish looks very nice 🙂

Marge
    Free Member

Crests on switch here. (White rims) 🙂

Kept loosing spoke tension at the beginning but eventually sorted.
    other than that, good value….

handyandy
    Free Member

If you buy them you will get AIDS, and not the good kind…

kayak23

On my 3rd set now, all sets still going strong with zero maintenance.
    Xc rims, am rims and dh rims, all on switch hubs, all running great.
    Particularly impressed with the xc build which I’ve not been kind to..

darkslider
    Free Member

To balance out the hate I bought a set of their DH 595s with a Trizoid rear hub and stuck them straight on my downhill bike, they’ve had quite a hammering between casing big jumps at races and general smashing into rocks on local uplifts and they’re still fine with no maintenance needed whatsoever. Maybe I’ve been lucky but I’d buy another set from them without thinking.

If you don’t mind paying the postage I’m sure they have a free re truing service after purchase as well.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Flows on Switch hubs here, about 18 months old. Spokes loosened a bit after a few months, but had them sorted at LBS and they’ve ben fine. Bearings gave up after a few months they are cheap chinese tat, changed for a good set of SKF’s and been fine ever since. Still cheaper than Hope Hoops even with the tensioning and new bearings, so can’t complain.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

They always seems like fair value for a kit of parts that might or might not come ready assembled.

Just bear in mind to budget for a retrue, and possibly a bearing swap quite soon after purchase.

chrishc777
    Free Member

heard alot of good stuff about superstar dhx, 130 quid for a set, mbr where saying they’re briliant and a mate has them on his hardtail and seems happy

warpcow
    Free Member

People talk of re-tensioning after a few rides as being acceptable, but it is sign of a poor build.

So if you can trim up/check your own wheels when you get them, then they are OK as the value is good, but don’t expect solid wheels – you might get a good build but don’t expect it.

This was exactly my experience with some of their Switch/Flow wheels. Decent wheels after they’d been retensioned, and the original bearings had died and been replaced with something better.

I’m not sure I would risk any of their other hubs though.

bigjim

google will provide you with a range of reviews. I bought a pair a few years ago, front is fine but the rear was a disaster, massive pinging noises as soon as started riding on it and some spokes completely loosened off. many other reviews of the same were on the ss website but of course they all got removed. The switch evo (novatec) hubs are OK, bearings don’t last long and I found them much tougher to get in and out than hope hubs.

andyrm
    Free Member

On my second set – first set (Switch Evo on Alex Supra30)were on my old bike and ran great for a whole season of UK & European Enduro racing and a year’s general AM use with some uplift days. The rear needed a retension once but other than that was fine. Bearings were replaced when they wore out with some nice INA ones and then were still running perfect when I sold the bike.

Current wheels on the new bike are Sentinel on Tesla. Both needed a little tensioning mid season but again, that’s not an issue for a wheelset that sees hard use. Bearings are still silky smooth, still run true and only a couple of little rock garden induced dents but still seal up first time every time tubeless.

Sadly whenever you are shifting high volumes, there can occasionally be a percentage that aren’t at 100% – that applies to TVs, cars, washing machines or any other consumer product that is mass produced. It’s just that because it is linked to a “hobby” with a bit of web presence that the rumour mill winds up to speed. Of course you feel upset if something goes wrong, but you are purely the unlucky statistical inevitability.

It’s also safe to say that STW has a disproportinate negative response to SSC based on alleged (before my time so I say alleged) use of multiple profiles etc. Sounds like it’s quite a long time ago and we all make mistakes, so probably worth moving on from.

If anyone would like to see a pair of SSC wheels that have been used hard all season and make their own objective judgement re: quality of components and build and resultant longevity, please feel free to come and take a peek down here in sunny Bristol. But let’s act like grown men and stick to facts not feelings eh?

jasonm945
    Free Member

I was well impressed with the switch evo hubs on Stans, and I think the Sentinel rims are fantastic, however, Tesla rear hub is giving me trouble in that it clanks and bangs along and every so often it “slips” ever so slightly.
    I have sent it back to Superstar who returned it stating there was nothing wrong. I have the exact quote copied from the email..

“hello i hav einspected your wheel and can find no obvious problems. if there is just a snap noise with no loss of drive this is normal. as the teeth are so fine (3 time closer thana DT hub) if you are between engagements it will jump to the next one if not fully engaged. too much grease or dirt inside will cause it to happen more frequently”

So if you are happy with a clacky hub get the better quality Tesla!

Jay

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Superstar wheels – any good’ is closed to new replies.