Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Superstar Switch Ultra rear hub disintegration – fixable or warranty?
  • medoramas
    Free Member

This morning, while fixing a puncture in the woods (someone keen put a barbed wire across the track…) I checked if there is any play in the cassette. And I discovered this: [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNdWZcvQaOc[/video]

The freehub is still working (it engages no problem), it just simply comes away from the hub! Has something just unscrewed itself, or is it a proper warranty issue (the wheels are 5 months old)?

After I fitted the wheel back on I could ride with no issues, as the QR holds everything in place. Off to France on Saturday for two weeks for family holiday, with a perspective of some decent XC exploration…

legend
    Free Member

Have Ultras still got a sizeable, screwed together, axle through the middle? If they do, I’d be getting the cassette off and having a look to see what condition it’s in, and making sure that it’s still screwed together

P-Jay
    Free Member

I can’t remember exactly how they go together, but they’re simple enough – I suspect something as come loose.

I’d take the cassette off and have a look, if anything is broken speak to S*, their warranty is very good and they’re usually very good about it.

warpcow
    Free Member

As above, it should be the axle holding it together so something’s definitely not right. NDS endcap is the threaded one, iirc.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Mine did that.
    You just need to take cassette off and tighten something.
    Sorry, not very specific!

Or leave it – dynamic chain lube adjustment!

medoramas
    Free Member

Thanks! So it is not some dramatic failure then. I’ll give it a check tonight!

medoramas
    Free Member

OK, so after further inspection (which was really easy – I just took off the QR skewer) it turned out, that the axle broke. I’m pretty sure I’ll get the replacement, but the question is: will I die riding it for the next two weeks? When the wheel is back on the bike (which is a bit of a faffle, as the freehub & cassette does move a bit at first…) with the QR nice and tight, there wheel works perfectly fine. There is no play, no rattling, the hub engages as it should…

Marge
    Free Member

mine did the same.
    Replaced axle and its fine again…

ordered new axle from superstar – delivered here (in Belgium) 48hrs later.

Mine broke (I believe) at the start of XC marathon. I could finish but it deteriorated throughout the event & eventually the bike wouldn’t freewheel anymore.

legend
    Free Member

Just order a replacement axle on its own. You’ll have it tomorrow (probs). Then faff wth the warranty at a later date

medoramas
    Free Member

I’m going to order the replacement in a minute then! Thanks!

Just a question: to replace it do I need to take the cassette off? Just so I know what tools to take with me for a holiday 😆

BoardinBob

No, just two cone spanners (can’t remember which size but maybe 15mm)

medoramas
    Free Member

Thanks! All sorted, the axle will be with me there at the beginning of next week – just in time when wife gets annoyed with me and lets me go for a ride 😆

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Superstar Switch Ultra rear hub disintegration – fixable or warranty?’ is closed to new replies.