Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Superstar switch Evo front hub bearing change
  • tomfun

I’ve found a couple of threads on here giving bearing removal tips (from what I can make out, stick a flat head screw driver through the axle against the back of the bearing and whack it).
    It’s the refitting of all the bits I’m a little unsure of. What ghetto methods work? I usually use a bench vice to press bearings back in but I’m clearly not gong to get the wheel in my vice!

I’m going for a ride on Friday so don’t want to screw it up or get the bearings out and not be able to refit them!

Cheers

chvck
    Free Member

I use a correct sized socket and a hammer, does the job.

dirtydog
    Free Member

I use the old bearing and a hammer to tap in the new one

tomfun

Do the adapters just push back in?

Do you take any of the adapters out before whacking the bearing or does it all come out when you whack it?

docrobster
    Free Member

I think I had to remove disc rotor first then adapters pushed out with the bearings. Knock new bearings in with old ones. It was fairly easy to do and I’m cack handed

matty456
    Free Member

I need to change mine too. Hammer and socket option!
    Where are you getting your bearings from? SStar or somewhere else?

tomfun

I bought the bearings from ebay but packed them with extra grease.

matty456
    Free Member

tomfun you got a link for bearings? Thanks.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Get them from Katec and they’re packed with extra/special grease anyway 😉

As for ghetto tool for pressing, for smaller bearings I’ll use a threaded rod, big metal washers or any kind of bodge plate bigger than the hub, and wing nuts to wind in and an old bearing on top of the new. For bigger if my headset press will fit I use that with some tweaking, and again old bearing on top of the new.

Getting out I’ll generally try the screwdriver method with care. Had some blind bearings that were a git though.

matty456
    Free Member

Thanks deadkenny.

tomfun

Matty456, just search on eBay for the bearing size you need. There are loads of sellers.

I’m struggling to get the bearings out if anyone has any tips? I can’t get enough contact on the back of the bearing to hit it out

tomfun

Sorted it with a bigger hammer.

scandal42
    Free Member

Always the case

keefmac

after a bit of help too on this. have removed the qr adapters easily enough but then the piece below this that sits over the bearing proper – how does that come out. its loose enough and should just pull out apparently but mine wont budge. any ideas?

tomfun

With a big whack from behind. It will all come out with the bearing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Superstar switch Evo front hub bearing change’ is closed to new replies.