Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Superstar site "down for maintenance" – alternatives?
  • nbt

Need to pick up
    [list]
    [*]some headset bearings for my on-one smoothie mixer[/*]
    [*]new grips[/*]
    [*]several sets of brake pads[/*]
    [/list]

I could order pads from disco bakes, but they don’t do mix-and-match on multi-buy sets – I could do with 2 sets of avids, 2 each of hope mini and hope X2. With disco brakes it’s 4 of a single type, that’s it. Before the arguments start, I know there have been issues with SS pads but I’ve not experienced them in several years of using them

In terms of headset bearings, I’m not aware of anyone else who does bearings to fit the smoothie mixer.

suggestions welcome

mikewsmith
    Free Member

bearings from your local bearing shop?

nbt

Previously when I’ve been to my LBS (local bearing shop – BSL Brammer in my case) they were great for “standard” bearings like 6002rs2, but when presented with 45 deg headset bearing were unable to help – that was some time ago though so they may be more widespread by now

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    torihada
    Free Member

As per subject header: wait until the site is back up, sometime later today?

banks
    Free Member

NBT – NWMTB usually have all sorts of bearings in or http://www.emmett-enterprises.com/ behind the big tesco

z1ppy

Hmm I’m look out for the headset bearings when it comes back up (& no bearing suppliers IME don’t stock headset bearings).. but SSC do have a 0845 number you can ring directly instead (on temp website) & no doubt order what you wanted the ‘old fashioned way’ of actually talking to ppl 😉 (oh the horror!)
    SSC grips are pretty poor though IMHO, ODI every time.

nbt

that;’s the thread that directs you to superstar 🙂

nbt

Well, there’s no timescale given as to when it will be back up. I can appreciate that the developers may not actually know how long it will be down 🙂

Drac

Bearings KaTec he might be eccentric but his bearings are very good.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/airborne10101/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

woody74

God is I was Superstar I would be certainly drop kicking the website developers arses. There is no excuse for it being down for so long apart from being completely designed incorrectly. Its not like they sell 100’s of products or have a massively complicated site.

I would wait and give them a bit of support. You could probably phone an order through.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You could probably phone an order through.

I assume that was an ironic comment….

leythervegas
    Free Member

I need to order a new wheel set this morning urgently but when you ring they say they are not taking phone orders please use the online ordering system. Brilliant! I’ve emailed them but had no reply yet

z1ppy

Nah, it’s on there temp site and FB page, but I’ve never had to deal with SSC legendary customer service (or lack of).
    Though it might be ironic that there a post on the FB pages saying “Currently in epic hold queue with the hosting company”

PS: IME Katec is not interested in supplying bearings not already listed on his ebay shop

cynic-al
    Free Member

Superstar site “down for maintenance”

Arson?

nbt

It’s back today at least 🙂

Northwind

z1ppy – Member

PS: IME Katec is not interested in supplying bearings not already listed on his ebay shop

He got us some that aren’t- though they weren’t cheap, as you’d expect really.

mboy
    Free Member

It’s back today at least

…and continuing to supply shoddy brake pads that fall apart after 2 rides, poor quality grips made out of a ridiculously hard rubber, and bearings with a life that make a Fox fork service interval look impressively long!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Yupp but he’s cheap

nbt

a\s above, I’ve been using his pads for years and never had any issues. I’m willing to try bearings At £7.99 too rather than pay £40 for a new headset since on-one don’t even seem to know what size bearings are *in* their headset, much less stock them for sale…

hora
    Free Member

Brake pads- it depends which compound you select.

If you skimp and order cheapy mcCheap on Disco or Fruits site then they wont last long.

Northwind

I have no idea how many SS pads I’ve gone through in various brakes, never had a problem with any. Have had Shimano lose their pad material though, and disco sintered break up a bit. Oh and carbon lorraine, on the motorbike, that was fun. It just seems to be a thing that sometimes happens to pads, especially tiny pushbike pads.

woody74

Never had a problem with their disc pads. Always worn well for me. They are sldo one of the only places you can get headsets to fit many bikes.

mboy
    Free Member

Yupp but he’s cheap

And so are you, but not that cheap surely?

Seriously though, I’ve tried various SS products over the years, only good thing to say is the wheel build quality wasn’t as bad as I was led to expect, it wasn’t perfect, but was reasonably straight and stayed true for a few rides at least.

The number of crumbled SS brake pads I’ve seen on other peoples bikes too though… Staggering! And it’s ALWAYS SS.

Hey ho!

thepodge
    Free Member

I had the pads on my Yamaha come away from the backing, they were 60 quid each, I shall now no longer buy Yamaha products and I shall moan about it on the internet for the rest of my life.

I like Superstar, never had a problem with many, many orders from them.

nealy
    Free Member

Uberbike pads are better than SS IME. I like their Race Matrix pads and they have lasted well until I did a couple of rides recently in the peak district which killed them so they’re a bit fair weather to keep in all year, I replaced them with their sintered expecting them to be as noisy as SS sintered but they’ve been very quiet, bedded in well and feel pretty nice.

I’m a tart so use Renthal grips but I’d give Uberbike grips a go as a cheaper option.

http://www.akbearings.co.uk are very good and the cheapest place I can find for decent quality, I’ve bought from KATEC before but I’m not convinced they are genuine SKF/INA/EZO as they developed play in less than a year. Give them a bell and see if they do headset bearings. (Just spotted SS site is back up, I’ve had a few sets of their headset bearings and they’re fine but fill and cover them in marine grease as they will rust)

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Superstar site "down for maintenance" – alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.