Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Superstar rims – any good?
  • ichabod
    Free Member

On paper, the Tactic rims seem an attractive alternative to ZTR ones:

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=49&products_id=802

399g and 23mm internal width. has anyone tried them?

Cheers!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I strongly suspect that the tactic rim is the same rim that Maxlight use in their wheels. They look the same and even the blurb reads the same. they get pottery respectable reviews.

jekkyl

I dunno about the rims but the owner looks nothing like Tom Cruise.

weeksy

jekkyl – Member
    I dunno about the rims but the owner looks nothing like Tom Cruise

He does look a bit like the nerd in Despicable me.

tomhoward

Im sure there is/was a website with a balanced, measured and non biased view on superstar.

I forget the URL atm though, sorry.

chakaping
    Free Member

they get pottery respectable reviews

Ceramics Monthly covering MTBs now are they?

ichabod
    Free Member

Noticed they have only been out for a few weeks according to the Superstar website so guess there is not much chance of a good review! Lets try and keep this on track and objective please 😉

ichabod
    Free Member

FYI they also have the Sentinel XC 370g at 21mm internal which falls between the weight of the ZTR Arch EX and Crest for the same width..

andyrm
    Free Member

I’ve been running the Sentinel (which is the lighter 21mm version) all season on my big bike. Done 7 Enduro races (inc 2 rounds of SuperEnduro in Italy, read f*cking big rock gardens) and been absolutely bang on. On that basis, I’d suggest the new beefier version will be a very strong rim.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

A bit like buying a skoda instead of a VW.

*runs for the door*

dannyh
    Free Member

Cue an appearance from ascomp?

andyrm
    Free Member

Cue an appearance from ascomp?

Less of that or I will take your beloved sport from you.

nick1962
    Free Member

chakaping – Member

they get pottery respectable reviews

Ceramics Monthly covering MTBs now are they?
    It was a ceramic rim grouptest 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

Why would someone who can afford to go and ride world enduros use superstar kit?
    Do SSC sponsor you?

wiggles
    Free Member

They’ve said they worked flawlessly so why not?
    or do you get bonus points in enduro races for brand names?

chakaping
    Free Member

Why would someone who can afford to go and ride world enduros use superstar kit?
    Do SSC sponsor you?

To be fair, I could probably afford to go and ride more enduros if I’d bought Superstar stuff instead of Mavic/Easton/etc.

Good to get feedback from someone who’s tested them properly.

ichabod
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback – I realise Superstar don’t have an amazing rep but I’m talking about rims here, not hubs or complete wheel builds. Surely if the rim holds up and weighs the same as a ZTR one but costs half the amount what can anyone complain about?

jasonm945
    Free Member

I have the sentinel rims and am not light, and they have held up for 2000+ miles including a trip to Long Mynd and quite a few batterings round the Hope/Ladybower area.
    I bought them because I like tubeless but don’t like the struggle I had with Stans and would recommend them(SS not Stans).
    On the other hand I mostly like SS stuff so don’t take too much stock in what I say 😉

I think if they were being sold with another logo on them they would be touted as excellent…

Jay

andyrm
    Free Member

Why would someone who can afford to go and
    ride world enduros use superstar kit?

Not getting rinsed for other badge engineered products leaves more in my annual budget, the saving on my wheels alone over something like a set of Crossmax paid for my entire trip to race Superenduro in Tolfa this year. Sounds good to me 🙂

bails

I built a wheelset using the Sentinels. I’m happy with them. Rode 230 miles coast-to-coast through Wales last week and put a dent in them which is a shame, but I had about 10 psi in the tyre so it’s not entirely their fault! They’ve held air since and stayed true so I’m not particularly fussed about it.

They actually weigh more than claimed, both were 400g IIRC, which tbh is reassuring because I was thinking they were dangerously light at the claimed 370g.

I had read that an ‘AM’ version of the Sentinel was planned but I hadn’t heard anything else, got bored of waiting and went with the Sentinels, then a few weeks later the Tactics appear! 🙄

nealy
    Free Member

The Tactic rims do seem pretty decent on paper but they need to buy a new set of scales as my AM490 wheels were 170g over the claimed weight (not a huge deal as cheap and heavy anyway) and I often see other rims, hubs and wheels weighing heavier than stated. I’d definitely consider the Tactic rims on my next wheels as I’ve gone off the idea of Pacenti TL28 rims as they seem very very prone to denting and I like to run low pressures.

What I really want is a set of American Classic Wide Lightning but they won’t be cheap and don’t come in 26″

lovewookie

I’ve only really had experience of the XC430 rim as I’ve not needed to build a wheel for a while.

That one is a rebadged Alex rim and pretty good to be honest. I normally go for Mavics as standard and would have stuck with that as I don’t like the feel of the stans rims on building, they feel all too soft for my liking (though my wheels were strong enough, they weren’t stiff).
    The XC430 was in between. built easily and was as stiff as I needed.

The Tactics and sentinels look like they may be similar as Alex have a nice new range.

ichabod
    Free Member

wow 170g over weight is daft – no way that manufacturing tolerances could account for that – grounds to send them for a refund I would say?

wrecker
    Free Member

Not getting rinsed for other badge engineered products leaves more in my annual budget, the saving on my wheels alone over something like a set of Crossmax paid for my entire trip to race Superenduro in Tolfa this year. Sounds good to me

You did a trip to italy including 2 super enduros for £280? Bloody good work!
    Let me know when you’re going next, I could do with that kind of thriftiness!

andyrm
    Free Member

You did a trip to italy including 2 super enduros for £280? Bloody good work!
    Let me know when you’re going next, I could do with that kind of thriftiness!

I only paid for 1 trip with the saving, but it would be nearer £360 factoring Crossmax SX around £580 and a set of Sentinel wheels at £220!

Flights booked pretty early so under £150, picked up from airport by the organisers (I love the Italian hopsitality – would you get that in the UK?), camping so mega cheap, and food/drink is well cheap as off the tourist trail. Think my total spend for 4 1/2 days was £320 or so – awesome local pizza place doing a big pizza and 2 Peroni for €8 helped me economise! 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

That’s bloody brilliant value. My less hardy buddies won’t accept anything less than four walls and a roof though 😐
    SX’s are <£500 from ze germans though, so nearly but not quite!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Superstar rims – any good?’ is closed to new replies.