Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Superstar pedals – through pins or not?
  • grumm
    Free Member

Decided to go back to using flats – I like the look of the Superstar pedals, just wondering what is the advantage of the through pin version?

They are slightly heavier, and seem to have less pins than the nano tech flats.

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/index.php?cPath=42

Ta

Phwoar
    Free Member

You’ll still be able to remove those pins through the back with an allen/torx key or something like that. If you bash your pedals on a rock and smash the tip of one of the pins on the other pedals, you won’t be able to pull them out because the interface will be all deformed and stuff. If you ride rocky stuff on a low-bb bike then deffo get the thru-pin ones.

grumm
    Free Member

OK thanks for that – I do ride a fairly low BB bike on mostly rocky stuff.

Bit concerned by the lack of pins concerned to the other pedals – anyone used em? Grippy?

onandon
    Free Member

why would you would want them over MG1’s

grumm
    Free Member

Well it says this on Merlin about MG1s

Light magnesium body, although not a strong as aluminium. If you break pedals or do pedal grinds we’d advise an alloy pedal instead.

My bike has a pretty low BB and I do tend to strike the pedals reasonably often.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Dunno how much those Superstar ones are but I use Kona Wah Wahs. They look just like those but with a few more pins (certainly around the axle / outside edge).

Sticky as a sticky thing with the obligatory 5.10s.

About £40/50 (know All Terrain used to stock them).

grumm
    Free Member

Yup am thinking now I might just get the Kona Wah Wahs – the SS ones are meant to be a copy I think but I thought the Wah Wahs were more expensive.

Do the Wah Wahs have through pins?

MrAgreeable

It depends a bit on the shape of the pedal and your riding style, but more pins don’t necessarily equal more grip.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Yes, through pins.

Available here for £44 (plus £3 or 4 for p+p): http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/111995.html

Really good pedals IMO, nice and thin. Large but not huge. Much preferred to a pair of V12s with standard pins.

TBH I’ve taken some pins out to try and reduce the grip to be able to shuffle my feet a little easier.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Just looked at SS site. Not sure who sells them for £90? Certainly not the Konas.

Might be picking up on insignificant stuff but the Kona’s *appear* to have thinner pins, whether you care or if it’s significant …..

Personally I’d get the Konas, but then I haven’t ridden the SS ones.

grumm
    Free Member

Yeah I think I will probably go with the Konas seeing as they are not much more – like the look of the thinner pins more as well I think.

GW
    Free Member

What a lot of rubbish folk on here talk! truth is it makes no real difference!

thru pins (or “bolts” as they are more commonly known) will rip the threads clean out of the pedal body when you catch them, or if you bend them they will be a nightmare to remove.

grub screws can also take the threads with them when they take a hit, but if bent are easy to remove with pliers.

*either can be re-tapped to take a larger “pin”

if, like me you are a serial pedal destroyer, just get what’s cheapest to replace and suits your needs for grip/feel etc… pedals are a disposable part.

richc
    Free Member

I’ve got the SS Nano’s and they are great. They have taken a beating and they still spin smoothly, tons of grip as well (grip is not about the no. of pins its where they are placed). They are seriously thin as well.

Decent platform size as well, which is one thing against the MG1’s, as I have had DMR v12’s in the past (which are the same shape I believe) and the edge of my foot would roll over the edge slightly and give me terrible foot cramp after a while.

I would be amazed if the pins are thinner on the WahWahs as they all seem to be a standard size, except for shimano MX30’s which due to shimano loving standards are smaller. Also bear in mind thinner pins bend easier, and if they are thru pins you have to snap them off or straighten them to get them back out of the pedal.

Straitline seem to have the best type, as they have a hex head on the pin, so even if you bend or snap the pins you can still get it out without wrecking the pedal.

grumm
    Free Member

Cheers richc – so you have the through pin version or the other ones?

GW ta but do you really need to be so antagonistic? Maybe other ppl have a different experience to you?

richc
    Free Member

normal pin ones (not the thru pin). I’ve tried tons of pedals and they are very good and strike a good balance between size, depth, grip and weight and they are lasting well with around 6 months + use so far, and I destroy kit.

Those ones on ATC look pretty much exactly like the one’s I’ve had except they are thru pins and either would be a good choice on your Pitch as they are very low profile.

VanHalen

gw speaks the truth.

MrAgreeable

if you bend them they will be a nightmare to remove.

You can just hack-saw the bent bit off.

pedals are a disposable part.

This I agree with.

GW ta but do you really need to be so antagonistic?

There is generally some good advice bobbing about in the testosterone. 🙂

turnip
    Free Member

Have a look at HTI pedals website, they make them for 24 cycles, nukeproof, el gallo, macneil, premium, deity, superstar and kona but to name a few. Its just a catalogue product with slightly different machining to make them look different for each brand.

You pay your money for the name, the inside is exactly the same.

Oh and MG1s are diecast, so will break easier than extruded pedals thats why they are cheap.

grumm
    Free Member

Well I ordered the normal Superstar Nano Techs in the end, but thanks for the advice everyone. 😀

GW
    Free Member

lol @ Mr Agreeable

simonm
    Free Member

ahh, just missed you, Im selling a 3 month old pair of those with Ti axles….

grumm
    Free Member

Hmm, how much do you want for em – might be able to cancel the order?

simonm
    Free Member

£70 posted with the Ti Axles (and the unused normal ones spare). AS I say, there about 2 months old, ridden about 10 times (new baby curtails riding !)

grumm
    Free Member

Too much for me I’m afraid (I’m not THAT bothered about the weight saving) and they are on their way now.

Cheers anyway though.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

MG1’s can be had for £20 notes. Surely worth a shot at that money. I bought a pair at the same time I bought some Gusset slim jims for my wife’s bike. The MG1’s look as new. The Slim’s look battered.

jam-bo

£70 for a set of supertat pedals!!!!!

i’d buy some eastons for that.

as it is i’m in the GW camp. i run cheap pedals that get destroyed every couple of months. got some diamond back ones at the moment that came from a bargin bin.

simonm
    Free Member

Jam bo… they are 375g… Ti axles. Perfect for trail riders who ride flats but want light weight. There £102 new 😉

jam-bo

i’d still buy eastons.

sq225917
    Free Member

i run the n-flats with Ti-axles, beat the shit out of them and they are pretty tough, no ripped pins so far and they’ve skipped plenty of the hard stuff.

The difference between them and other pedals is the low COG, less pedal to hit and better pedalling action with reduced chance of rolling off them.

Apparently the Nukeproofs will be mag extrusions, so expect lower durability when they arrive on sale.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Superstar pedals – through pins or not?’ is closed to new replies.