Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Superstar pedals …. Midweek moan
  • retro83
    Free Member

Just got some of the new superstar pedals.
    59 quid for them seems ok. Appear Well constructed and selling with different coloured pins as an option is a nice touch. They are pretty light too, at 333 grams actual (310 claimed)

But does it strike anybody else as a bit shit that despite describing the pedals as having replacable pins, you cannot get the buggers anywhere? (I would say they are removable rather than replacable!) Even superstar are not getting replacements for apparently 3 months.

I know its my fault for not looking properly but I had naively assumed that pedals with rrp of 69 quid and clearly custom pins might come with a couple of spares. D'oh!

Ps can i request squid rather than octopron today? Ta!

sheldona
    Free Member

Bangs head on desk…. When will people learn about Supershonk components! They couldn't even give the hub away at SSUK, LOL

DezB
    Free Member

julianwilson
    Free Member

So you bought some pedals you could have paid £30 more for equivalents elsewhere, and you won't be able to buy new pins for three months? Best see if you trash the pins inside three months then. It would seem having a pootle through the threads that pedals are one thing SSC does well. (no i don't know him and yes I have had varying rubbish-to-good experiences of ssc products) Stop moaning and have a squid cartoon 🙂

MrAgreeable

Can't verify this, but they look the same as Straitline pedal pins

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25137

You shouldn't be needing to change the pins just yet, but if it really bothers you, pick up some of the above and you'll be able to flog them easy if they don't fit.

montylikesbeer

I am stuck between a rock and a soft place, well a wet, salty, squidgy place really

retro83
    Free Member

Good work thanks. Especially julian, a good point well made.

Gary_M
    Free Member

3 months eh, are you likley to waer them out that quickly?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

1/10 for the rant

so you bought soemthing, and its not yet broke, but your worried that some day it might?

A) If you cant get spares just screw in some pins from another brand, they wont have the funky design, but i guess that stops them getting mullerd in the first place.

B) buy burgtechs, the pins are great big M4 (or maybe M3, I've not measured) bolts!

Onzadog
    Free Member

while not the perfect solution, they'd work perfectly well with grub screws in them. Have a look on ebay. bag of 50 stainless for less than £4

retro83
    Free Member

I think those straitline ones might fit, thanks Mr Agreeable. Somehow missed those in my search.

Anyway. Here are the pedals in question.

It's not that I get through that many pins (usually lose a few every couple of months clouting them on unfamiliar trails), it's more just a bugbear of mine (since halfrauds sold me a GT frame when I was a kid with a 'replaceable hanger' which nobody could get hold of)

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

How do you lose the pins???

Reason i ask is that in the 8yrs i have been running DMR V8's, the only time i ever 'lost' a pin is when i hit something blooomin hard and it actually ripped the pin and part of the pedal out. Even if i wanted to i couldnt replace the pin.

If they are fitted correctly, surely they dont drop out??

soobalias
    Free Member

if you constantly remove the pins to make colourful patterns on your pride and joy pedals, one day you will lose one under the fridge.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Aluminum pins won't last long if you ride amongst rocks.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I lose pins from my DMRs. Not all the time, but often enough that I notice. Those pedals are ridiculously tarty though. 😉

MrAgreeable

DMRs come with the pins screwed in quite loosely. A bit of a tighten when you get them out of the box will save you having to spend £3. Although they are sold as "Terror Pins" which has to be one of the best mountain biking puns everrrrrrr.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

doof doof – In what way wont they last long? As i say i have lost a few as well but it has always gone hand in hand with breaking a bit of the pedal body as well. Are you saying the pins themselves snap?? leave a bit of threaded pin in the pedal. If so i have never seen that. Quite astonished that such a small piece of metal would snap, especially as the pedal body always seems weaker than the actual pin from what i have seen

doof_doof
    Free Member

The aluminium will 'smear'/deform very easily when grazing rocks. SS grub screws are more limited by the material they're threaded into, ie. they tend to get torn right out. My flats are pretty gouged up from rocks, so I really can't see alu pins lasting long. Bit of a rubbish way to save weight/add bling IMO.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Fair enough.

retro83
    Free Member

I assume they get knocked out by rocks. I never notice it happening.
    I just notice my pedal feels a bit slippy then see that some pins have gone.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Superstar pedals …. Midweek moan’ is closed to new replies.