Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Superstar pads – which compound?
  • jools182
    Free Member

Need new pads for my elixirs

Was thinking about the nukeproof ones on crc or some from superstar

Which compound should I go for, organic, sintered or kevlar?

nickjb
    Free Member

What riding do you do, and where?

Organic – bite well, powerful in the dry, wear quickly in the wet
    Sintered – last well in the wet, may overheat in the dry in big mountains
    Kevlar – somewhere in the middle on power and longevity so a good compromise

If you ask nicely you can mix and match.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Organic – bite well, powerful in the dry, wear quickly in the wet
    Sintered – last well in the wet, may overheat in the dry in big mountains
    Kevlar – somewhere in the middle on power and longevity so a good compromise

The metal back plate – what you’ll end up using about 20 minutes into the ride.

😛

user-removed
    Free Member

I’ve had the same set of sintered in my Juicy 7s for over a year. Used in fairly sh1tty conditions over the winter and long braking sessions throughout the Summer – still got about one third of their life left (Superstar FWIW).

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve got kevlar in mine and honestly, can’t say I noticed them being much different to organic in terms of both stopping power and longevity.

Northwind

If in doubt, kevlar, they’re the best allround pads I’ve used.

Just be careful of the break-in process… They’re unusual in that they make good power almost immediately, but that doesn’t mean they’re properly broken in! Most pads, you keep up the breaking in til they work, basically, with these you need to break them in for just as long as you would any other pad even though they’ll feel good far faster. Seems to make a big difference to lifespan.

Organic are fine tbh but hard gritty mud destroys them so fast, kevlar lasts much better in those conditions.

As far as reliability goes… The set in my Hemlock are the same set that did the fort william endurance downhill race 😉 I doubt I’ll ever hammer kit harder than that, especially by the end of the day when I was braking pretty much at all times. They just got on with it.

user-removed
    Free Member

Actually, just remembered, got a compliment slip with my last order telling me they’d upgraded my pads (for free) to kevlar – they were out of sintered.

So Kevlar are the way forward. Maybe.

DT78
    Free Member

kevlar was great for me in the alps this july, some filthy conditions too, others in the group were on a new set of pads after 4 days riding.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Superstar pads – which compound?’ is closed to new replies.