Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • SuperStar pads – recent quality?
  • deets

I bought a load of their organic pads in a black Friday deal as I’ve used them for years and have always rated them. I’m having braking trauma at the moment though and despite having replaced the rotors, hoses and put new pads in I can’t get the buggers to stop squealing.

I’ve been bedding them in properly and am working my way through the bag of new pads in case I’d somehow contaminated the previous sets. It’s driving me nuts and I’m starting to suspect that they’ve changed their pad formula – has anyone else noticed anything? Cheers

robbie
    Free Member

I just used their pads for the puffer, sintered type, cooked them in the oven before fitting, they done 14 laps and still have plenty meat on them, little bit off squeal for 1st lap then silent, I rate them highly and they are cheap.

iolo
    Free Member

Maybe a stupid question but why cook them?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    flip456
    Free Member

Compound has been fine and I’ve been happy with them on all my bikes until one pad feel apart the other day. Whilst fitting the front wheel of my wife’s bike I gently caught the rotor against the pad and it fell off. Pads were newly fitted in October had only had a couple of easy rides. On closer inspection there was a lot of rust at the pad/ metal backing interface, I’m guessing there wasn’t much adhesive holding it together.

breadcrumb

I bedded a new set of sintered pads in before the ‘puffer and did 13 laps on them and they look barely touched.

Garry_Lager

Compound has been fine and I’ve been happy with them on all my bikes until one pad feel apart the other day. Whilst fitting the front wheel of my wife’s bike I gently caught the rotor against the pad and it fell off. Pads were newly fitted in October had only had a couple of easy rides. On closer inspection there was a lot of rust at the pad/ metal backing interface, I’m guessing there wasn’t much adhesive holding it together.

I had this recently – sintered pad material fell out after a v wet ride. SS will replace if you can be arsed sending the pads back.
    Sintered ones have been awfully noisy for me recently – wailing like a banshee to the point where I can’t use them. Kevlar ones ok.

dandasbike
    Free Member

I used em for years then went back to shimano for the mega as I wanted the ice tech ones and the difference in stopping power was night and day. Shimano all the way for me from now on.

jonk
    Free Member

I had some sintered for a hope M4 and they rattled like they were too small. Replaced by some kevlar which i bought in the sale and they are fine and lasting well.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Been using the Kevlar pads from SS for couple of years now and been perfect. Generally quiet compared to sintered, braking power good without brake fade, does the job. I bulk buy so always have a some ready.

robbie
    Free Member
    Frodo

After buying some from Superstar that would not stop squealing I’ve given up. Disco brakes are fine though!

nach
    Free Member

I bought some sintered ones for Hope M4s last summer, and when I came to fit them later found the alignment when the pad was stuck on was right on one edge of the plate and made it impossible to insert the spring. Too late to send them back when I noticed.

That was only one out of four pads though 😀

(I generally find superstar stuff is fine)

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

They started squealing on me last year, (went through elimination process – long story short) switched to genuine Shimano, problem solved and last longer.

deadkenny
    Free Member

When you switched to Shimano and noise went away, was that organic, and previously were they sintered or organic?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘SuperStar pads – recent quality?’ is closed to new replies.