Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Superstar – Organic, Kevlar or Sintered pads for Stroker Trails?
  • granny_ring

Having trouble setting up the front brake post mount on the revelations, didn’t have this problem with IS mount forks…. 🙄

Lubed and worked the pistons and they seem to be working equally so will fit some new pads and possibly rotor too.

So, any constructive feedback on which would be the better superstar offering.

Yes I’ve read the old complaints but wondered if things are now ok and which would be better out of the Organic, kevlar and sintered.

Would their rotors fit the stroker trails ok, enough clearance etc?

TIA

granny_ring

Anyone?

More likely looking at sintered or kevlar pads.

Any feedback on the rotors as well, particularly those used with the trails would be great cheers

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

Their rotors are great for the money, have them on both my xc and dh bike, fit fine, same quality as any other I have had (Hayes, Shimano, Hope) just not the crazy price.

I’ve used the Sintered pads before with no issues, fancy trying the kevlar next as they sound good.

Should be fine with Strokers, had Strokers on my Marin (with Hayes rotors) but the SS rotors aren’t any different and I used to run SS rotors on my Hayes nines with no issues.

DickBarton

Got the kevlar pads. Work fine but did take a good half dozen rides to bed in. Feel nice and Sharp again. I’m pleased with them. Unsure of wear yet…can’t tell if they have worn or not yet.

binners

I’d vote for the Kevlar ones’s. I Started using them on a trip to the alps last year, having been recommended them, and have been using them ever since.

Can’t you order different one’s from Superstar? They do good deals on sets of 4 pads. Why not get 2 sets of Kevlar, and 2 Sintered? See what floats yer boat

Organic pads? In Britain? In winter/spring? it’d be interesting as an experiment. To see how many sets you’d go through per day 😉

momo

Picked up some of the kevlar pads last week, only had one ride with them so far, but very impressed.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Running both Kevalr and Sintered. Took the kevlar ones out for the winter as they tend to wear quickly in the grot.
    Really impressed with the Kevar ones, better bite than sintered and feel more grippy too.
    Sintered are comparable with other sintered ones i’ve used over the years in terms of power and wear.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve run organics all winter with no issues, I run tiny rotors so the extra power helps, and smaller rotors* = hotter brakes so less pad wear…………..

But having dealt with SS ‘customer service’ before I point blank refuse to buy anything from him ever again, CRC have pads for about £1 a set more if you search through the brands, or dicobrakes are the same price as superstar. I bought some aligator rotors off ebay for arround £10 each, look cool, not entirely sold on them being better at staying cool than a more solid design, I can still boil fluid.

*160/140mm and me at 96kg beans I can boil fluid just riding round tunnel hill if I’m in a group dragging my brakes!

nickjb
    Free Member

AIUI:
    Organic – most powerful, quickest to wear out (especially in the mud)
    Sintered – Hardest wearing, prone to overheating in the dry on big mountains
    Kevlar – Claimed to offer the best of each, in reality a decent compromise

DickBarton

You can mix sintered and kevlar in the 4 packs…it is all kevlar or all sintered.

Good pads though.

granny_ring

Thanks all will try the kevlar then and cheers jackass re the rotors.

Northwind

Kevlar are the default, for me they do all year but then we don’t have really gritty/abrasive mud. Sintered if you know the conditions you ride in are hard on pads.

Oh, Superstar mixed a pack for me, I offered to pay the kevlar 4-pack price if they’d swap in a set of the cheaper organics, no bother at all- it’s a win win after all.

Disco pads aren’t as good in my experience and some other vendors are charging far more for the same pads. Can’t say I’m exactly a superstar fan but it’s a good product.

BigJohn

I love Superstar pads. Currently running a mix of Kevlar & Sintered in each rotor.

sv

I use the Sintered pads tried the Kevlar but they glazed over. Did de-glaze them and try again but I couldnt get them to run properly.

granny_ring

Didn’t think about asking them to do a mixed pack as you could only order 4 of the same on the site 🙄

Oh well kevlar on its way now.

Hicksy
    Free Member

I have Stroker trails one of my bikes and use the sintered pads they – work well (I use them with Shimano brakes too). However I bought a pair of bigger Superstar rotors for the Alps and had a really horrid feel through the front brake which grabbed once every revolution. The rotor was clean and running true but if felt like the weren’t of uniform thickness – I put the Hayes rotor back on and it went away. The rear one was fine, but I wouldn’t buy them again.

Northwind

Not too convinced by the rotors myself, my big one was drilled slightly offcentre, it did work fine mind and a mate of mine has it on his downhill bike. The little ones are identical to the Tektro ones I have, which are decent enough.

DickBarton

Sorry I meant you can’t mix…emailed and called and was told BT both methods that they can’t mix sintered with kevlar. Saying that I’m liking the kevlar pads a lot.

atlaz
    Free Member

Sorry to threadjack but I was does anyone know which pads fit the Formula Rx brakes? I THINK it’s the F3 ones but can’t be 100% sure.

BigJohn

What is supposed to happen if you mix sintered and kevlar? Does it pull to the left?

nisbend
    Free Member

Kevlar last me two Peaks weekends, tops. Work lovely til they get through to the metal, though.

edit: the 180mm rotor is fine, no problems at all.

bigjim

Sorry to threadjack but I was does anyone know which pads fit the Formula Rx brakes? I THINK it’s the F3 ones but can’t be 100% sure.

there is a little picture guide to the pads on the site so just fish out the ones you have and compare. it’s really handy actually, especially with shimano’s insane product numbering!

Superstar pads seem great so far, but the packaging seems to be a potential issue – the last pair I got have obviously rattled like mad against each other in the packet and the pad material is damaged quite badly, but I can’t be bothered sending them back….!

snowslave

Another vote for kevlar. Used them in the Alps 3 times, we generally ride in the peaks/pennines and they bear up well.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I’m all for saving money and supporting small UK business and all that but to be honest I’d rather spend a few extra quid and buy original Hope pads. I bought some Superstar Kevlar ones and they are just too thick, I mean how hard can it be to measure some original ones and make your copies the same? I sanded the paint off the back and that wasn’t enough so I had to sand down the pad itself.
    I’m glad I only bought the one pair!

chakaping
    Free Member

yep that’s the one

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Superstar – Organic, Kevlar or Sintered pads for Stroker Trails?’ is closed to new replies.