Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Superstar Narrow/Wide & Expander Cog
  • honourablegeorge

Any reports, good/bad/indifferent?

Doing a 1×10 setup for a friend on a budget.

stevied
    Free Member

I’m running a 40T and no problems so far. I am using a RADr cage too. Couple of mates using their N/W without issues and retention seems better than my old RaceFace 30T

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I was about to ask the same question. Going to get a N/W ring and wondering about the expander ring too and hoping the long B-tension screw will be good enough rather than buying a RAD cage.

And does anyone know if the Ultegra 16T cog that SJS sell will work with an XT or SLX cassette?

kimbers

superstar narrow wide has deeper teeth and seems to hold the chain better and wear better than my RF one

stevied
    Free Member

And does anyone know if the Ultegra 16T cog that SJS sell will work with an XT or SLX cassette?

I got the 9sp XT one and modified the location teeth on the sprocket so that I could orientate it better. Works very well. I believe you can only use XT cassette’s as they have more single sprockets. The SLX is in 2 main pieces (with a couple of individual sprockets) so you can’t split it without removing the pins that hold it together..

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I believe you can only use XT cassette’s as they have more single sprockets. The SLX is in 2 main pieces (with a couple of individual sprockets) so you can’t split it without removing the pins that hold it together..

Instructions for SLX use on Oneup’s page:
    http://www.oneupcomponents.com/pages/slx-1080
    Bit of a bodge, but should work.

Northwind

They’ll both be as good as whichever competitor they copied tbh. I got their narrow/wide because Works were out of stock, it’s not quite as good and it’s wearing faster but it does the job almost as well and it cost half as much…

If I was going to get another range expander I’d get it from OneUp, for being the first to make a quality product that works and splitting the whole thing open, rather than from one of the 20 copyists personally.

cyclebiker

I agree with Kimbers, I have just bought a 32t NW chainring and the teeth are so deep that the chain fowls the spider of my double SLX cranks. I have had to make a spacer to space the chainring away from the spider so it sits correctly.

Has anyone else seen / experienced this?

paladin

cyclebiker – Member
    I agree with Kimbers, I have just bought a 32t NW chainring and the teeth are so deep that the chain fowls the spider of my double SLX cranks. I have had to make a spacer to space the chainring away from the spider so it sits correctly.

Has anyone else seen / experienced this?

That’s all down to your cranks. The diameter of the chain circle on any 32 tooth NW chainring will be the same. I filed down the end of the crank tabs on my slx double to suit. The other bike I used washers to space it out.

Comparing the superstar to ace NW rings, I think I prefer the superstar one, but my bike with the ace NW doesn’t have a clutch mech yet, so I can’t really compare fairly on retention.

cyclebiker

Thanks Paldin, I’m glad that I have not chosen a incomparable combination…I could not take a file to new cranks though, the spacers work fine. Thanks for you’re input.

pedlad

Nearly six months in with a 32t nw superstar chain ring and all good.

mark_rich
    Free Member

Just fitted a ss 40 t expander to the mega tr, fitted to an slx cassette in about 10 minutes, no probs.
    I just punched the rivets part way through the block of 4 cogs, removed the 17t, reassembled the remaining 3 cogs, ground off the excess rivets and mushroomed the ends over with a hammer. Reassembled it all and it works just the same as my hope Trex fitted to an xt cassette on another bike.
    I’ve read that you can just reassemble the slx cassette with the cogs separated however it will reduce freehub damage if they remain riveted into a block of 3.
    Didn’t need the new B screw supplied for the slx mech.
    Not bad for £30, thought it may require a new xt chain and cassette but it has worked a treat.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Superstar Narrow/Wide & Expander Cog’ is closed to new replies.