Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Superstar narrow wide?
  • Lawmanmx
    Free Member

anyone use their chainrings? how are they holding up? solid or cheese?

bikeneil
    Free Member

I’d rather support Hope.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

£14 dearer tho but are they £14 better???

ThePinkster

Not used one myself but only heard good reports of them so far.

bikeneil – Member
    I’d rather support Hope.

This anti-Superstar-no-matter-what attitude is getting very tiresome these days, especially if someone is asking for advice on a specific product.

njee20
    Free Member

Agreed, I’d get the Superstar over Hope, whose legendary customer service will come in handy when your product falls apart!

cultsdave
    Free Member

Used a 36 tooth one for 2 weeks in the Alps and had no problems. Had a Raceface one before that. No difference noticed.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Nothing to do with anti superstar just pro hope.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Just fitted one to my 29er. Looks good. Not used it yet.
    If its as good as my Works one on other bike I’ll be happy.

Hope on the other hand.. Had one of their standard single rings. Worst one for longevity out of renthal, e.thirteen, and race face ones also tried.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

6 weeks in and I’ve had no problems with mine. Quality looking finish and they’re machined in the uk……..like Hope but cheaper

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

its sounding very positive, im close to breaking out my credit card, I give it a couple of hours and see if there’s anything to change my (very changeable mind) Lmao

takisawa2

Can I stick my oar in & ask…does anyone do a stainless one ?

kwack
    Free Member

Looking at a superstar one in red 34t at moment.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Used one for a few weeks in the Alps on my bike. Started off with a top guide fitted (didn’t believe or trust the hype) but took it off on the 2nd day after it took a knock and been running it with no guide now.

I officially do now believe the Hype.

Ring has worked flawlessly and not showing any signs of wear beside some of the black going on the teeth.

Would happily buy another from them. Hopefully they’ll release an expander ring for the rear cassette soon

Tom kp

bikeneil
    Free Member

How about a titanium narrow wide ring?

http://www.evolutionimports.co.uk/shop/products/carbon-ti/chain-rings/x-monosync-ti-104bcd-single-ring-1154645.html

njee20
    Free Member

Not AFAIK, steel rings are generally stamped, so you can’t do the intracate machining associated with narrow/wide.

neilwheel
    Free Member

I think the production costs would not be viable.

CheesybeanZ

16 posts and no mention of the on one ringmaster .

ryan91
    Free Member

No complaints with my Superstar NW, but I may drop to a 32t and will be getting a Works components one if I do as they’re locals.

MS
    Free Member

Got at 32T on 2 bikes and no problems and never had the chain slip. Use with a clutch mech on both

kimbers

The superstar one has slightly deeper teeth than the raceface one it replaced and the ss one seems to be wearing better too. Another win for superstar IMHO !

handyandy
    Free Member

bought one for my 4X bike and its worked perfectly with no signs of wear so far. I am impressed enough that I have bought another for my trail bike, which used to have constant chain offs. Cured now.

thedude
    Free Member

They are even cheaper with 10% off code for today only BANKHOL10.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Not for me it wasn’t!!! went through the process and there was Nowhere to input that code! AAAAAARRRRRGGGGH 🙁

mickmcd
    Free Member

I have one in 17-4st-st and also an EN24t steel prototype (more preferable to st/st) sat on the bench mainly just because you can make something doesn’t mean theres a market for it no matter how much you roll shitPR BLURB in glitter, especially when you come from a world where engineering done right is more important than making money based on bollocks

and also just in case the ceramic coating on the aluminium ones ill be getting back tomorrow turns out to be less awesome than I know it should be

isitafox
    Free Member

I’ve got a 32t and it’s been brilliant. Would definitely recommend!

Also sent them a message regarding expander rings and apparently it’s in the works.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Cheers for the discount code thedude.

32t on the way.

teethgrinder

Tried the 32t SS one on Sunday at Hamsterly, including some of the dh tracks. No chain drops, and that’s without a clutch mech.

Bought to replace a Works Components 32t which started to drop a lot. Mind you, the narrow teeth are now knife edge sharp.

ernie

Try a middleburn hard coat. The hard coat is worth the extra cash, the rings are designed and manufactured in the UK, and the hard coat will out last anything out there.

dannyh
    Free Member

Hope for things with more than one part. Superstar for things that aren’t. I don’t think you can go far wrong with that mantra.

I can’t see the added ‘Hope value’ in a one piece chainring, but I can in things like hubs etc. What product backup do people think they will need with a chainring?

eulach

Works Components since last winter. Hasn’t dropped once (with a clutch mech).

daver27
    Free Member

i’ve used the RF one, Works components, SRAM X01 and the superstar. In all honesty, they are all as good as one another, but, the superstar runs a tad quieter and has markedly longer teeth. you physically have to lift the chain off, it doesn’t come off even if the clutch is off.
    I have to say the Superstar is the best performing one i have used and the cheapest. its an easy win.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Still waiting for the flippin postman to turn up with me SS narrow wide that i ordered Monday 😥

poah
    Free Member

they don’t have any 30t in stock or I’d have got one for lewis, so went with a RF one like mine. Got it from the states at the same price as the SS one

AD

I’m running a Superstar 34t on a 1×9 set up with a really old XTR mech (the grey one). So far it has been excellent – much better than I expected to be honest – haven’t dropped the chain once which surprised me as I thought I might need a chain device of some kind.
    Riding is in the lakes so fairly rocky and bumpy.

davosaurusrex

Cheers for the code thedude, my 32t turned up today. Running a raceface 34 at the moment, want to try a 32 and at £23 seemed rude not to!

thedude
    Free Member

No worries boys. I put a 34 on a bike today. It’s a good deal for something made in UK.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

when did you order your’s Davosaurusrex? I ordered mine on Monday and still not here, im sooooo impatient!!!! 😕

davosaurusrex

Late Monday, dispatch email first thing Tuesday but had it delivered to work and wasn’t there until today so dunno when it turned up. Oneup rad cage was waiting for me too, huzzah!

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

dispatch email? not had one of them puppies …. mmmmmhhhh 😕
    had order confirmation but nothing since.

kimbers

Are they on hols ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Superstar narrow wide?’ is closed to new replies.