Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Superstar Nano Pedals – play in the bearings?
  • Monkey-Boy
    Free Member

Hi,
    I’ve got a pair of Superstar Nano Pedals, which have developed a bit of lateral play. I haven’t opened them up, but guessing the bearings need to be replaced. Can anyone tell me what size bearings I need to get before taking them apart?

Thanks.

jonba
    Free Member

no, but they are the same as the nuke proof ones. You can buy bits from CRC or Superstar components and depending on what you need either can work out cheaper.

Having said that, whenever I’ve had play, the bearings have been fine and it is the bushings that are knackered. Possible to replace them but harder.

As described by superstar when asked, you need to knock them out from the bearing end with a 10.8mm drift. Unfortunately there is a metal lip in front of them that virtually obscures them so you do actually need a suitable drift. I found a bolt with a head of that size in the “box ‘o bolts” and managed.

crankrider
    Free Member

Before doing that, just try tightening the axle nut and pedal body caps up. The inner cap pushes the bearing into the body.

Sometimes thats all you need and your back in business.

doug_basqueMTB.com

When I opened mine the bearings said 686Z on them. Guess that’s the number. I drifted mine out with a 9mm socket, the one I had wouldn’t fit but I went to the shop and got the smallest one I could find and it fitted.

Monkey-Boy
    Free Member

Thanks guys, a veritable fountain of knowledge 🙂

I’ll try just tightening it up first, to see if that works a charm. There is only play on the non-drive side pedal, which is typically my trailing foot, so tends to get a few more pedal strikes.

It sounds like it could be the bushing which is knackered, so that might just mean running them to death (or putting them on a less used bike). Any simple way of telling if it’s the bushing that is knackered before I trek over to the bearing supplier?

Thanks.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Superstar Nano Pedals – play in the bearings?’ is closed to new replies.