Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Superstar HTII Bottom Brackets- Any good?
  • chrisjnr
    Free Member

After having omitted to request the inclusion of a suitable bottom bracket for an XT chainset I have found myself in the rather akward position of buying one. In searching I have come across one of the coloured Angletech bottom brackets sold by Superstar. I’d like to know whether it would be okay to go for one of these as opposed to the obvious choice of a standard Shimano HT2 BB?
    Thoughts and personal expericnces would be appreciate 😀

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

Even if they’re good, you have to be more than good to be a better option than Shimano these days. Quality’s gone up, XT lasts well these days, Deore doesn’t last so well but costs buttons (£7.90 from Rose! £12.90 for an XT… Plus P&P. ).

j40aja
    Free Member

I’d stick with the XT one for the price to be honest, saying that I’ve just upgraded to a Hope one but only because I’m a bike tart and wanted red to match other bits on my new build.

I have a nearly new XT bottom bracket that I took off my old frame which came with my M770 chainset if you’re interested.

£10 delivered.

Cheers,

Alan.

angryratio
    Free Member

Typically i run shimano deore as they are cheap and run for an acceptable length of time.

The one i run on my do everything hardtail… i.e. commutes/weekend xc rides.. that has lasted about 8 months before wobbling. Typically that bike sees 100 miles a week.

flyingfox
    Free Member

WOW! I don’t know how folk do it – my Superstar lasted 7 weeks (it was a few years to be fair_, whereas my XT ones were lasting between 11 and 14 weeks. I gave up, bought a Chris King and it’s still going three years later. Even if it had given up after a year or two, I would have got my money back. I know it seems ridiculous but they work for me.

njee20
    Free Member

WOW! I don’t know how folk I do it – my Superstar lasted 7 weeks (it was a few years to be fair_, whereas my XT ones were lasting between 11 and 14 weeks.

FTFY

cp

i’ve not looked back since changing for Hope Stainless. Still spins super freely compared to Shimano ones which lasted a handful of rides in a properly faced frame.

Northwind

cp – Member

compared to Shimano ones which lasted a handful of rides in a properly faced frame.

Something wrong there. Very old model BBs? Overtightened? Even the worst Shimano BB (deore, these days) won’t normally die that fast even in horrible conditions, unless something else is up.

cp

Not used Shimano ones for circa a year, so that sort of age. Definitely not overtightened. Used both XT and deore, probably 3 or 4 brackets before I gave up with them. Peak District riding.

Hope used in exactly the same way, some very wet and muddy conditions, though has had several times more use and is still going very strong.

stayhigh

Got an XTR bb from Rose for £23 delivered and came with a free cereal bowl and jelly sweets 😀

captain-slow
    Free Member

I have a superstar aerozine bb (£30 now I think) and it has already lasted three times longer than the two raceface ones I had previously (which each cost about £40 – £50 from memory)

ruscle
    Free Member

Hope all the way, either stainless or ceramic. British is best. I am proud to say I don’t have any shimano stuff on my bike.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

one advantage of SS is apparently you can knock the bearings out and replace them easily which you cant quite so easily with shimano (due to bearing width and having to modify the top hat).

One budget approach would be to buy the cheapest SS BB and some ebay bearings (about a fiver a pair) and replace when they die. Am planning to do this when my RF die (which are stubbornly hanging on giving good service since I bought a load of bearings 🙄 )

traildog
    Free Member

I am proud to say I don’t have any shimano stuff on my bike

Why is that something to be proud of?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I bought 2 superstar ones, one lasted 33% longer than the other. Both were shit though, one lasted 6 hours the other 8!

Fitted SKF bearings and they’ve not casued any trouble since.

Wouldn’t buy them again as the ‘customer service department’ (Neil’s split personality) is as bad as the rest of the company.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Superstar HTII Bottom Brackets- Any good?’ is closed to new replies.