Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • superstar HT2 bottom brackets are crap!!!!!
  • bengbong
    Free Member

Anyone tried one of these, lasted 6 weeks on my bike, bought from ebay and when I contacted told me to fill in return form and send back, after accusing me of being hamfisted and fitting wrong. went to send back but in terms and conditions it says “bearing are considered a wear and tear item and not covered unless damaged before use”

Don,t waste youre time or money buy a hope like I had to.

Anybody else had dealing with crapystar products?????

james
    Free Member

“lasted 6 weeks on my bike”

What is actually wrong with it?

If its seized, try opening the seals up and covering the seals in grease. It may start running again. Mine did

Jamie
    Free Member

I am not a user of SS products and have posted my fair share of octopus pics, but this post just seems unnecessarily inflammatory.

Trollski?

markenduro
    Free Member

is it 1970 again?

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Apparently Diana’s Merc was fitted with SS bottom brackets. Its true, bloke in the pub told me.

wellhung
    Free Member

Anyone tried one of these, lasted 6 weeks on my bike, bought from ebay and when I contacted told me to fill in return form and send back, after accusing me of being hamfisted and fitting wrong. went to send back but in terms and conditions it says “bearing are considered a wear and tear item and not covered unless damaged before use”

Don,t waste youre time or money buy a hope like I had to.

Anybody else had dealing with crapystar products?????

I’ve not dealt with them

So did you send the BB back then or not.

Did they not refund or replace?

munkster
    Free Member

Mine lasted 5 or 6 rides before it seized – it is now back with them being examined. It was fitted by a professional bike mechanic at an LBS however the initial charge by SSC was still that installation was at fault. We’ll see what they say once it’s been examined.

I thought I wouldn’t believe the hype and try for myself, am kinda regretting it now.

hora
    Free Member

Couldnt you fit its yourself?!! Its not like the older BB’s- Hollow techs are childsplay to fit. 😕

munkster
    Free Member

I’ve fitted several BBs and HT2 cranks cheers – it was the cranks (RaceFace) that I didn’t want to screw up (literally) so while I was there he did the BB too after he faced the shell for me.

Am I forgiven?

montylikesbeer

I find a rock works best…………….

hora
    Free Member

Ah, go on then! 😀

munkster
    Free Member

*exhales in relief* 😉

tails
    Free Member

What I never understand is, people buy pricey shimano or raceface cranks then use a piece of shit bottom bracket.

whytetrash

Dont flame him, Bengbong only been here 2 months!….unless he’s a troll in a new identity

SS BB’s are not a “product of choice ” for the STW massive fella!

julianwilson
    Free Member

tails – Member

What I never understand is, people buy pricey shimano or raceface cranks then use a piece of shit bottom bracket.

dunno, but i paid £40 and £50 brand new for my ht2 cranksets as recently as 18 months ago. So I find stumping up the same money again just for the bb a bit hard.

However a sensible, so far reliable and relatively pleasant bike-fiddling job has been refitting enduro bearings to the old cups at £20 a time.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

bengbong

SS tries to get out of his obligations under the sale of goods act. Have a read of the act, quote the relevant parts at him and insist on your money back. For example postage to return faulty products should be paid by the retailer. quite clear on this. He also says cosmetic defects are not covered when its clear under the sale of goods act they are.
    If a product fails within 6 months ( subject to a reasonableness test ie you wouldn’t expect a banana to last 6 months) then it is assumed to be a manufacturing fault.

• Wherever goods are bought they must “conform to contract”. This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

steel4real
    Free Member

TJ – you can’t resist can you ?

druidh
    Free Member

I think he has it saved away somewhere on his PC so he can repost it at will.

Either that or he is a Bot with an automated response.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Steel – I have tried to resist and have even managed once or twice – but I hate to see people like the OP ripped off and fobbed off. Just a bit of advice on the law.

taka
    Free Member

ive bought superstar products for quite a while and never had any problems with them had brake pads,bb,pedals ect… all still working fine 😉

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

I’m quite amazed people are still buying these

steel4real
    Free Member

TJ – no worries – I hope I never have to buy the cheap tat or worse, use an internet forum to defend products from a pattern book in Taiwan with a diferent name etched on !

taka
    Free Member

steel4real – Member
    TJ – no worries – I hope I never have to buy the cheap tat or worse, use an internet forum to defend products from a pattern book in Taiwan with a diferent name etched on !

like on-one 😉

dobo
    Free Member

i think the ss bb isnt quite as well sealed as shimano so wont last if submerged and not drained (store upside down and spin the cranks), other than that they seem ok, mines still going and spin well. (carefull not to overtighten cranks either)

overtighten or submerge a hope or race face and see what happens, i dont think SS BB are much crapier than any other BB tbh

naokfreek
    Free Member

On a lighter note, the hope bottom bracket i’ve been using for my messenger duties has developed a loud creak, no play but v noisy…..i’d say it’s done around 10/11000 miles……not bad i think you’ll agree, will be giving it the once over to try and silence it….otherwise very impressed.

don’t even entertain the ss idea….it will end in tears one way or another…

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Its very easy to change the bearings in a ss bb using a few sockets.

KonaTC

Had one fitted on my bike for over a year, but every couple of months or so pop the seals off and apply some new grease.

SS one is far better than the raceface one fitted from new

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Shimano BB brackets are about the same price as SS. Why would you buy a SS when you can get Shimano?. I know Shimano are not as good as you would like them to be but I reckon they are the best of a bad bunch! Unless you want to go go the ceramic bearing BB or Hope that cost a lot more Than Shimano. I would go back to square taper i they still made the UN72 BBs

How much does it cost to have some decent bearings fitted to your old H2 cups? I think I will get that done when my Shimano wears away.

DickBarton

Mine has lasted 4 months and still going strong – no problems with it…well apart from a 2 week spell of tight cranks – which I tracked down to some real weird grit/grass-like substance between crank and bearing…once that was gone went all smooth again…

Junkyard
    Free Member

Mine has done about 15,000 miles and is now on its third bike.
    Can you lot not fit them properly or what?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Mine has done about 15,000 miles and is now on its third bike

you’ve been busy Johnnie! I thought SSC had only been going 2 years…

freeandsingle
    Free Member

I like Superstar, you pays your money you takes your chance. I’ve had a SS product fail (brake pads) and was impressed with the way the guys sorted it out. You want the best? Pay top dollar. You want cheap? Don’t expect the best..

daveh
    Free Member

Yep they are rubbish, like Shimano ones are, like all HTIIs probably are. As stated above though, the bearings in SS ones are easy to replace with standard 7mm wide bearings at £4 a go.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Just trying to get a reactiom Mr Barnes
    Surely everyone knows by now the break pads are ok now the BB’s are poor the jury is out on the rest of their stuff

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Just trying to get a reactiom Mr Barnes

also known as fibbing 🙁

RudeBoy
    Free Member

is it 1970 again?

New forum coming for January 2006…

(Puts TV dinner in microwave, gets beer from fridge, makes self comfy…)

bengbong
    Free Member

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to repond, looks like mixed bag so far very happy with the hope BB. In answer to question, no never got round to sending back don,t have time or energy but wanted to share experience and vent some frustration.
    My apologies to whytetrash for only been on here for 2 months!!! Can,t wait to be a seasoned pro like him!!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘superstar HT2 bottom brackets are crap!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.