Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Superstar Floating rotors, similar to hope?
  • ferribyflyers
    Free Member

Looking to get some floating rotors, but can’t justify the price of hope ones new, and struggling to find any second hand! (Need 203 and 160mm)

Has anyone used the superstar ones? If so how are they?

mattbee

Got a pair on my 5 Spot, 203 and 180, with SLX brakes. The’floating’ rivets sit very close to the brake caliper adapters and my front one needed a smidge filing off to stop it rubbing. Apart from that they seem fine.

rocketman
    Free Member

Have got 4 pairs of Superstar’s finest in various sizes. Using them with Juicys Elixirs 596s and 595s. The only issue was with one of the 180s – one of the buttons that attaches the rotor to the carrier was a little high and I could hear it shing-shing on the caliper. A few strokes with a flat file was all it needed. The 160s are a tight fit if your brakes are at all dodgy the 160s won’t make them any better. The 180s and the 200s share the same carrier and there’s more rotor area so less chance of any caliper/adaptor/rotor contact.

In terms of performance they’ve been fine – braking power is as expected, no juddering, nothing rattles and no weird noises. In terms of weight they are no different to Avid CSs or RT76s – 200g for the 200, 160-ish for the 180 and 100g for the 160s

Cosmetically they are also holding up fine despite frequent intense neglect

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’ve got their 180mm floaters on my Five with M785 XT.
    No problems at all.
    It’s taken about 2 years to wear-out the rear one in Calderdale/Peak grinding paste together with umpteen pairs of superstar sintered pads.
    I’ve happily replaced it with another of the same.

Northwind

I wouldn’t buy Hope second hand tbh, I had to use the warranty twice on mine as the rivets came loose. Ended up going back to proper steel ones, which turned out to be lighter.

richmtb

Shimano floating rotors are better then Hope

esp if you can use centre-lock

Not tried the Superstar ones but they are at least cheaper than the Shimano or Hope ones, available in different colours too if that’s your thing

Northwind

Are Shimano actually floating now? Old ones were 2-part but had no float.

richmtb

Are Shimano actually floating now?

Yeah I see what you mean, you are right they aren’t actually floating.

But having tried both floating hope and 2 part shimano I would definitely say that shimano are better. No difference in performance or weight but they are much stiffer. I’ve got 4 hope floating rotors kicking around in the spares bin and they are all warped to some degree

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Superstar Floating rotors, similar to hope?’ is closed to new replies.