Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Superstar Floating Rotirs ?
  • nealglover
    Free Member

Can anyone offer any opinions based on personal experience.

Just about to order some as the price is to resist but wondered if there were any issues.

Will be using with Custon Avid Elixir R SL.

colournoise

Fouled the caliper on my Avids (BB7) so never fitted it – too cowardly to take a file to the caliper.

slainte ❗ rob

watsontony
    Free Member

not had these but superstar stuff is always good? dont thay just copy the tech behind the big brands?

watsontony
    Free Member

Fouled the caliper on my Avids (BB7) so never fitted it – too cowardly to take a file to the caliper.

slainte rob

if this happens just reset the pistons and repostion caliper.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Rotirs

😀

bigdean

Got a 203 at the front and a 180 on the back. Had problems with discs overheating so boight these. They been great. Just bear in min there cheep so moght need a tweek to run dead true. I just press/ pull on the high/ low spots

nealglover
    Free Member

Rotirs

iPhone posting. Not the best for looking intelligent with spelling.

Thanks for the info, don’t mind a few tweaks to get them running straight. Week to have to do that with the original avid ones anyway.

swingbing
    Free Member

Mine were great but I would say that I have some for sale!

Ran mine with Elixir’s. They will definitely be fine.

nealglover
    Free Member

How much ? What colour ? What size ?

swingbing
    Free Member

I have them up for the pair £34 posted, they are gold, 180 and 160 in size.

Someone has promised me the money for them tomorrow along with a couple of other bits. I could let you know if they pull out though.

Original Ad here http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-gold-partspedalsfloating-rotorsskewersfinishing-kit

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

203 and 160 here with Juicy 5s and no issues. I normally warp the front through heat or a crash every 12 months but only had the floaters 3 months so can’t really comment but look good so far.

Haven’t heard the cool ‘pinging’ of cooling discs I’ve heard on Hope’s yet though

Skyliner
    Free Member

I have a pair of black 160’s that had one ride, I built the bike and realised the frame was too small and ended up changing my plans. So I cant tell you if they are any good but they are in new condition. Posted for £38. Let me know if you need pics.

nealglover
    Free Member

Thanks for the offers. But looking for 203/180 really.

Not fussed about colour.

Northwind

I bet they’re no more unreliable or more pointless than the Hope ones.

nealglover
    Free Member

Is it that floating rotors are unreliable In general

Or that both Superstar and Hope rotors are unreliable ?

Northwind

My Hope ones were rubbish, the rivets went loose very quickly. They were replaced under warranty as you’d expect from Hope, I sold them on but I gather the same happened to that set.

Main thing was that they didn’t seem to do a damn thing, they weren’t even excitingly light (my Formula R1 rotors are lighter despite being plain steel- though they do wear fast)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is it that floating rotors are unreliable In general

Not really had loads all brilliant (All Hope) . Used for more aggressive riding normally, they are the only rotors that I have that are still straight. (have original Hope one too)

Or that both Superstar and Hope rotors are unreliable ?

As above never had an issue with Hope. No idea with superstar – if there is a problem I would assume that it was your fault though, why not give them a call or maybe try and look at their website.

deviant
    Free Member

The rivets fouled the caliper, Superstar’s genius solution was to file away part of the caliper….erm, no thanks. Sent them back and got some conventional ones instead.

Mugboo

Hope ones look trick, I thought that was the point 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

if there is a problem I would assume that it was your fault though, why not give them a call or maybe try and look at their website.

I haven’t got any, read the first post 😕

tops5
    Free Member

Northwind

deviant – Member

The rivets fouled the caliper, Superstar’s genius solution was to file away part of the caliper….erm, no thanks.

FWIW this is what Hope recommend too when using their rotors with other manufacturers’ calipers.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

nealglover – Member
    if there is a problem I would assume that it was your fault though, why not give them a call or maybe try and look at their website.
    I haven’t got any, read the first post

Sorry Neal that was sarcasm – more a ref to the superstar website and top quality phone answering skills

nealglover
    Free Member

No worries mike.

Ended up ordering a pair of 203mm Hope Floating Rotors and Hope Adaptors anyway.

My local shop does free fitting of Hope parts, and as my brakes have been working like cack recently, at least the free fitting should sort that out.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Hope rivets on the floating bit caught my Avid callipers and required judicious use of an angle grinder to stop this

i dont know if the newer version avoid this issue…does the bike shop?

sparkyrhino

Just had to trim the tab off the rear inside pad of my juicys to prevent rubbage

nealglover
    Free Member

As far as I know it was Avid Juicy that have a problem with the Hope.

I’ve been told Elixirs are ok with them (unless you had elixirs John ?)

If not they will take them into stock anyway (I did ask if they were compatible and he said they were ?)

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Superstar Floating Rotirs ?’ is closed to new replies.