Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Superstar Electro rear hub – any good?
  • mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m after some new wheels for my DH bike and was going to get DT EX511’s on Hope Pro 4’s but I’ve just had an email from Superstar about a wheel clearance. I can get DT FR570’s on a Tesla front hub and Elctro rear hub for £150 less which is a decent saving.

I have Pro 4’s on my hardtail and they’ve been good. Never used Superstar hubs so they’re a bit of an unknown to me.

Any experience would be appreciated.

hilmo
    Free Member

I bought some Tactic rims on the 60 poe fuel hubs in January on clearance, front hub has been fine, no issues, bearings still running quite nicely.
    Rear has been a different story, the freehub failed on me a couple weeks ago, although they have been very helpful and understanding, and have offered a free return and replacement. Although I’m still sceptical as to how long the replacement will last.
    This is however an old model of hub. I’ve no experience with the newer hubs though, hopefully they’re more reliable.

chakaping
    Free Member

Tesla front hubs seem good, I have one on my bike.

Electro is the newest SS hub offering (possibly UK made?) so you’d hope they’d managed to come up with a reliable “posh” hub at last.

markshires
    Free Member

Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but has anyone else being using the electro hub for any length of time?

I have just had my hub upgraded under warranty as the previous fuel hub kept disintegrating freehubs. I think it’s a fairly common problem with them.

I’m just wandering if it has been improved with the newer electro hub?

Bolt

I killed two fuel Freehubs in 3 months, the replacement electro hub has done approx 5 months so is an improvement so far.

Bolt

markshires
    Free Member

Cheers Bolt, sounds promising then so fingers crossed.

I did the same two freehubs in a couple of months.

jointhedotz
    Free Member

Been using my electro/xx27 wheelset since christmas, no issues, love the click of the hub as well.

mrhoppy

Electro users, how are you finding the freehub connection? Mrs hoppy has just got done and the freehub false off with the slightest knock or when you remove the rear wheel, superstar appear to be suggesting nothing odd.

gelert
    Free Member

The new SS hubs seem to be priced more than Hope hubs so it’s no thanks from me.

SS Switch and SS Switch Ultra were rebranded Novatech Hubs and a set of mine have seen a lot of [ab]use. They were a super bargain set of 26 Carbon AMs. They’ve been very good and on their 3rd winter this time.

Two years + on and you can’t get spares for the Hubs from SS so watch out with the new ones they’re making and especially as they’ve gone through two designs in the meantime… it’ll probably be even worse. At least with Switch I can get the parts from Novatech. SS keep saying the parts will be in “next week” but they never are.

I’ve two pairs of Hope Pro 2 Evos on other wheel sets. I can’t use them all at once so I’ve got a Carbon AM / Swtich Ultra up front and a Hope / Stans Arch MK3 out back ATM.

I know Hope will keep making spares.

deviant
    Free Member

Gelert, what are you talking about?

They still make the Switch hubs only they’re now called Switch Ultra and Switch Lite…in fact the bulk of their hub stock is Switch stuff

Yes there’s some fancy pants Fuel and Electro too now (and the Tank for DHers) but Switch spares are a doddle, I got a 10mm axle instead of the usual 12mm rear recently and also end caps for going from a 20mm fork to a 15mm one.

….and if you’re really stuck eBay is full of Novatec/Switch stuff but I haven’t had to order from there yet.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Superstar Electro rear hub – any good?’ is closed to new replies.