Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Superstar dropper post for £100. Are they any good ?
  • Short version;
    As title.

Long version;
    Mrs MTG rides a Kona Unit single speed with a high seat and low bars for efficiency.
    She also rides a vintage Triumph lady’s shopping bike with a low seat and high bars for comfort.
    She does some mild off roading on the Triumph, only river bank footpaths and the like, nothing too gnarly, and bizarrely, finds she is more confident on the skinny tyred rigid Triumph than the Kona.
    I put this down to the saddle height. She broke both legs just over a year ago, so is more cautious than most about falling off.
    I’m not bothered with dropper posts myself, so have never really looked in to them. I think one might be a good idea for her.
    Superstar are doing one for £100 at the moment.
    There’s a couple of threads on them already, but not much in the way of experienced opinions.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cheap-ks-droppers
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/psa-ks-supernaturals-100

Are they any good ?

shinsplints

I’ve got one. Bought it after losing my mind with 2 reverbs needing constant warranty return.
    I like it although I wish I had a remote, it’s fine on trails you know as you can anticipate needing to drop the post. Sometimes the one handed actuation method isn’t ideal but I’m probably being fussy.

zbonty

The long version can be found elsewhere.

The short version is avoid. That is my recollection atleast (no direct experience myself).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Remote would be nice, as would a UK distributor to handle warranty (or at least something to confirm who would)

My KS was fine after it’s first warranty rebuild (1 day of use)

shinsplints

And I’ll add mine like mikes broke after 1 ride but has been fine since. Took it to leisure lakes wolves who just took it off me & ordered a new one (I bought it from them online, obvs). I’d rather have one than not (in summary) & for £100 it’s worth a go eh.
    If i could add, is the Unit a 27.2mm post ? Do superstar have that size available ?

Northwind

I’ve had the older version for a couple of years, like many it didn’t work from new but after one warranty rebuild it was perfect. There was a bit of Superstar Bullshit involved in that but they did come good in the end to be fair.

Recently got a Supernatural with remote, and it’s much the same- went slightly sticky after a couple of rides, glommed in a load more slick honey and now it’s as good as the other one, seemed to be a wee bit dry as new.

If you can find a remote for ’em, it’s a great deal- they’re excellent kit, the distributor thing is a definite issue but there’s bound to be a replacement soon and chances are, they’ll be better than Superstar. Much simpler than a Reverb, seemingly just as reliable.

If you go remote, the cable might seem like a step back but the reality is, the hydraulics of the Reverb are nice when they work but the parts are far more expensive… Whereas with the KS, if you break the cable etc it’s all easily replaced and eminently bodgable. I broke my lever in the alps, but was still able to operate the post manually at the other end, and if I’d chosen to fix it, any bike shop in the world could have provided the parts (I just didn’t bother). None of that’s true of the Reverb.

Thanks for the replies.
    I just checked the Kona and it’s a 27.2mm post. They only had 31.6mm posts left and it looks like they sold out of the cheaper 5″ ones overnight anyway.

hora
    Free Member

Superstar stand by the product that they sell IMO (from experience) so don’t worry about the backup.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Superstar dropper post for £100. Are they any good ?’ is closed to new replies.