Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Superstar Components Singlespeed wheelset…
  • ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Just out of interest, has anyone had first-hand experience of them-there Superstar Singlespeed wheels?

"Complete wheelset based on SS Pro 320-4 Singlespeed specific rear hub and Slick Front Hub
    Vapour rim and DT spokes
    Quite possibly the best value quality singlespeed wheels on the market."

Wossreckon?

29erKeith
    Free Member

when will people learn don't ever ask about SSC on here
    answers always the same regardless of if they've used 'em or not

Coyote
    Free Member

Kettle's on. Brew anyone?

taka
    Free Member

ive never had a problem with superstar products although all ive bought is brake pads and brake disc's 😉

29erKeith
    Free Member

Coyote I'll skip the brew but got any biscuits?
    nice choccy hobnobs

downhillsquirrel
    Free Member

Wasn't Matt long-term testing a set of their wheels, last time I saw anything he was positive about them …

mudsux
    Free Member

from a couple of those answers it's nice to see STW hasn't lost it's objectivity and helpfulness.

slowjo
    Free Member

Well…. I've got a pair of 29er wheels built on the superlegerra hubs and they haven't missed a beat. Build quality is fine, they go round and round and have stayed in shape quite nicely. No complaints.

Coyote
    Free Member

from a couple of those answers it's nice to see STW hasn't lost it's objectivity and helpfulness

Or indeed it's sense of humour… ;-p

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Thanks all (so far).

If I can just break-up the tea-party that could no doubt spiral out of control, I do realise it's a ma-HOO-sive can o' worms I'm opening, so please restrain yourselves 😀 I'm after FIRST-hand experience cos they do look good VFM…

yetirose
    Free Member

Once upon a time there was a set of brake padzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 🙂

Tiboy

I bought one of the SS hubs for a build, but plans changed before I could build it up. Manufacturing quality was good though, nice solid feeling ratchet, felt more substantial than an XT hub in my opinion. Having cartridge bearings has got to be an advantage too, though in experience of their BBs I'd open up and regrease the bearings before use.

A mate has bought the wheelset, seeing him this evening so will ask what the set's like.
    Cheers

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Also thinking about buying a set of SS wheels from superstar , so would be interested in any feedback etc

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

I just bought a set for my husband (the mate Tiboy is referring to above), they arrived today and on first impressions they seem great. Rims are nice and wide for the weight and the hubs seem, like Tiboy says, to be of really good quality.

Have to say that SSC were really helpful and custom built the set to order as I asked for the front to be built onto a switch hub (rather than slick) so that Mr. MM could run a 9mm axle QR, while still taking advantage of the good deal as a pair. They built the set for £150, which seems fantastic value. They also knocked another £20 off the rest of our order (grips and qrs etc), and the whole lot only took 3 days to arrive – nice!

So yeah, I know people on here hate them, but from my own personal experience alone (so far at least) they've given me some of the best customer service I've ever received.

(And no, I'm no relation/friend of any of them and have no shares in the company 🙂 just giving the firsthand advice Thurman has asked for!)

Time will tell about the wheels – I can let you know after a few rides if you want?

Cheers.

mk1fan
    Free Member

I too have had only good dealings with SSC even when I've had a problem with an item.

Noticed they had the s/s hub on sale for £40 so took a punt – I also bought a couple of their wide based s/s cogs. On initial inspection it seems as good as a Hope although a little rough around the edges when directly compared. Smooth running though. Going to get it built up onto a Stan's Arch rim.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

"Having cartridge bearings has got to be an advantage too"

Why?

HTTP404
    Free Member

Easier maintenance but not necessarily longevity.

Tiboy

yep, ease of maintenance, I've never had much success with cup and cone.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Superstar Components Singlespeed wheelset…’ is closed to new replies.