Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)
  • Superstar Components – mega thumbs down
  • nemesis
    Free Member

You like funny ink blot patterns. So is yours 😉

kayla1
    Free Member

I like their stuff. I’ve put a N/W chainring on my HT and 180mm discs and I have some (second hand) SS wheels on it too. They’re handy for stuff like caliper brackets as well. I’m not sure I’d trust any parts with bearings in (no idea why, just a small hunch back at the office) but the other stuff that just has to be on the bike and work the same as more expensive (badge) stuff is fine.

julians
    Free Member

I like their stuff, seems ok to me so far:-

Have got the following:-

– Some wheels, DT swiss rims, built by superstar using their Tesla EVO hubs
    – Magnesium pedals
    – Grips

No complaints about any of the above so far – 7 months fairly hard use.

poah
    Free Member

Currently they are still refusing to send out the correct components with a customer service attitude along the lines of ‘We are short staffed so deal with it’. Thought I might fit the chain ring for an extra bit of bling, but on closer inspection its going no where near my bike. The finish is pants, I’ve seen less burrs on a burry thing, looks like it would shred your chain in a matter of minutes.

All components being sent back for full refund…….you have been warned.

can’t really expect them to send out the correct items when you haven’t sent the wrong ones back. they should refund your postage or provide a freepost label

Northwind

poah – Member

can’t really expect them to send out the correct items when you haven’t sent the wrong ones back

TBH it’s not so unreasonable- it’s entirely their ****-up and the customer gets left without the item he’s paid for. A lot of companies will do the right thing for their customer first and worry about getting the item back second. Or to avoid the risk, suggest buying a second and returning the first for refund, for faster turnaround.

Lummox

Yawn!

Superstar/ on one etc etc

Always been 100% happy with both service and product from superstar.

How do we know that the OP didn’t balls up their order, even so these threads are boring now.

letmetalktomark

I’ve had a fair bit of stuff from them over the years and zero issues to date.

Most recently I bought one of their direct mount chain guides for my Trance and thoroughly thrashed it at MM. Its a far better quality than the MRP stuff I had previously used and a fraction of the cost.

I have bought, after a recommendation on here a DS25 rim – its a lovely piece of kit and built up without any issues.

I haven’t had to return anything so cannot comment on that side of things but they were nice folk to chat to at MM 🙂

tenfoot

No issues for me either. Bars, grips, chain guides, pads – all delivered quickly and decent quality.

scandal42
    Free Member

The wheels are fantastic value, tell me another source where I can buy wheels of that quality for that price, name me 1?

My latest wheels took longer than quoted by quite some distance, but they arrived last night and they seem spot on.

All the small bits I order arrive within 2 days max.

They could cut down on costs by not sending me a catalogue with every bloody order though.

rob1984p
    Free Member

SS singlespeed rear hub…bought secondhand in need of bearings, took less half an hour to replace, all bearings the same size. Great hub.

SS top cage chain device similar to one that MRP do / did. Glorious and about £15

SS singlespeed rear sprocket, cheap, arrived quickly seems fine.

SS brake pads…no complaints.

My last order came with some Haribo that reminded me of Marzipan, this made me angry as I wanted something tangy on my tonguey.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The wheels are fantastic value, tell me another source where I can buy wheels of that quality for that price, name me 1?

Build your own?

I really don’t think I’m that hard on kit but I had so much crap from SS that I really struggle to believe some of the “my BB lasted 5 years” stories, and then there was the customer service (and this is from me who finds O-O / P-X customer service OK).

And then there was the whole Neil / Fruit / Tango thing, and the brake pads that try to kill you.

Northwind

I’ve had 2 sets of wheels from them, both times the wheelset cost less than the component parts. One of them was pretty badly built though so it got rebuilt, but even so, counting them as just a very well packaged pile of parts they’d still have been winning value. Can’t say I was delighted about the bad wheel but on balance they came out OK.

(and in fairness, they do offer a rebuild service, I just chose to get a local builder to do it- I expect it’d have been rectified if I’d asked)

gonzy
    Free Member

ordered my replacement kevlar pads last thursday. less than an hour after ordering them i got an email to say they had been dispatched. they arrived on the saturday…so far impressed. pads are now on the bike but i’ve not had a chance to see how good they are yet

my only grumble is that the haribo sweets were of no use to me as they contained gelatine…in the bin they went!!

deviant
    Free Member

Brake pads from SS have been great.

Seat posts ditto.

Likewise stems.

The 3 wheel sets (2 MTB and 1 road) have been great.

Grips are excellent.

Pedals are as good as anything out there.

One problem I have ever had was their floating rotors rubbing on my calipers but the ones I tried from Hope did that too…when I told them they issued a refund.
    Have been helpful when I enquired as what bearings to use in my hubs and were honest to say they don’t stock them as I’d be able to find them elsewhere cheaper.

This summer hold up can almost be predicted, everybody goes cycling crazy and they must get busier at this time of year but at the time when they need all hands on deck I should imagine Superstar’s employees are taking their own summer holidays etc.

Anyway, I like their stuff and wouldn’t pay £100 for chain guides and bash guards from MRP, e-thirteen etc when kit like that gets knocked about and wrecked very quickly, I’d sooner pay a fraction of that and get it from a UK firm.
    They’re my ‘go to’ place for wheels now, you don’t even have to use SS products as they can build with DT Swiss, Mavic, Chris King, Ryde, etc etc for a set of branded wheels that you won’t get anywhere cheaper….never had a problem with build either before somebody chimes in and even if they arrived out of true my LBS charge £10 for sorting a wheel, I’d still be quids in.

ThePinkster

Like many here I’ve never had any issues with SS stuff, although I’ve not tried a BB yet (the headset worked perfectly ’til I swapped it for a WC Angleset)

I’ve even mailed them about possible products in the pipeline, to see if they were going to do a direct mount SRAM I/O chainring and got a response the next day (in the pipeline apparently). I believe their I/O rings are made in the UK too.

Pads, stems, bars, saddles & grips, etc – never had any problems over the years and got them spread over several bikes. In fact the Peak saddle is one of the most comfortable I’ve ever sat on. My only complaint is that one purchase didn’t have Haribo’s with it.

Occasionally shit happens and things don’t go right. I don’t see the point in getting this wound up about it without spending a bit of time trying to sort it out with the supplier first.

hilldodger
    Free Member

…And then there was the whole Neil / Fruit / Tango thing

Yes, that wasn’t the best marketing strategy!
    But on the other hand online abuse for his partner, personal insults and threats of arson didn’t exactly portray some of the “big hitters” and the forum moderation too well either 😐

Bought a 40T expander ring recently, the finish was not perfect around the inner area of the spider/spacer but the teeth and fit appear to be spot on. It was significantly cheaper than other options so hardly a big issue in my view. How long it lasts remains to be seen.

jamesoz

Never had an issue with any of their stuff, £30 to replace the rim and new spokes on a sentinal wheel I utterly ruined, bargain.
    Always prompt free delivery and good prices.

nickc

Got one set of wheels from them

Not brilliantly well built, true and straight, but tension was all over the place, even I could do better, and I’m not ‘that’ bothered about tension when I’m building, but these were bad enough that they needed a once over.

Pacenti rims on the other hand are soft cheesy shit

ineedabeer
    Free Member

Fortunatly they are a couple of miles down the road from me I have used some of their kit brake pads and grips they have always been good to me when I have been in to see them.

lowey

Anyone remember that nutcase who set up a whole website dedicated to rubbishing them, took them to court etc etc…. that was hillarious. Cant find the link though.

Edit… found it.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/victims-of-superstar-components

Alex

Bought quite a bit of stuff over the years (pads, grips, bars, chainrings, pedals, tools) and it’s all been fine. Excellent for the price. Their direct FM covers are a fiver. Someone else wanted 20 quid! And it’s EXACTLY the same colour as my rootbeer trek frame.

Which makes me want to buy some colour matched evo pedals as well 😉

They are turning into the CRC of packaging tho, big padded envelope, A5 parts catalogue, bag or haribo and tiny actual component.

cumberlandsausage
    Free Member

My 4X bike has a 3+ year old set of SS wheels that are still straight and run beautifully, despite landing some jumps rather out of line.

It also has a SS chain device, which is spot on.

My ‘do it all’ bike has a SS thick/thin chainring, which has never failed me.

My downhill bike has a SS rear wheel (part of a pair bought for £100 clearance) which is still trued despite some very dodgy riding.

My friend has SS wheels on his 4X bike and his AM bike, all of which are straight and true.

They sell lots and lots of stuff. I buy this cheap stuff, and know that there is always a risk of getting a bad one, but its not happened to me yet.

Thankfully we all know that no other manufacturer ever has problems 😉

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Have used SS a fair bit and most is ok stuff, bought a set of wheels for my cx that went out of true after only 100 miles, sent them back for a free true for life which they offer and they came back worse than when i sent them !

coomber
    Free Member

letmetalktomark – Member

I have bought, after a recommendation on here a DS25 rim – its a lovely piece of kit and built up without any issues.

Just got one of these last week after a recommendation on here and the speed of delivery was quality. The rim itself seems really well made I can’t fault them at all.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Their brake pads are excellent for 30mins until the pad material seperates from the backing plates. Bought 3 pairs in a package and it happened to 3 of the 4 pads I tried. The other pair went in the bin after getting an arsey reply when I contacted them.
    Cheap for a reason and I’ll never touch any of the other junk that they sell. It’s false economy.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Bought 3 pairs in a package and it happened to 3 of the 4 pads I tried.

Just to balance it out, must have bought close on 20 pairs over the years, this hasn’t happened to any of them.

Northwind

Yeah, I’ve gone through kabillions of their kevlars, I had one break up a bit once it was pretty worn. OTOH I had the entire friction bit fall off a Disco, and most of it fall off an OE shimano (shimano told me to bugger off when I asked if it was warranty).

Also, a set of carbon lorraine pads in the motorbike, now that was shit-yourself-worthy.

superfli
    Free Member

Well I’m a SS fan. Their delivery times are excellent and a packet of Haribo for my boy is a good bonus – although a bit of a game away to the missus 🙂
    I’ve had 3 sets of wheels off them, all great. One set I’m about to strip to reuse the excellent hubs on my LB rims. Hubs, rims, grips, pedals, chain device+ tubeless bits have been great. No issues.
    I had issues with pads separating about 4 years ago and have not touched since. Also I wont go near BB or headset due to friends having premature failures.

el_boufador

Bought loads of stuff, no problems and best delivery times of any online outfit (at least for me). They even sent out a chain guide express delivery foc. Ive no idea why, didnt ask them to!

Very happy customer here and good on them.

Ps i suspect a good deal of mud slinging was sent their way when they were starting up because they were/are a threat to the establishment. I’ve no evidence for that mind.

roach

I bought a bargain set of Sentinel Switch 29er wheels from them for 175 quid. 4 rides in and the rear spokes were so loose about 4 of them had nearly unscrewed totally from the nipple!

I’ve built one or two wheels so I’m going to try and rectify it myself. Any tips on doing this? Is it just a case of tightening the loose ones up or is it better to loosen all of them off and start again?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Very happy customer here and good on them.

Ps i suspect a good deal of mud slinging was sent their way when they were starting up because they were/are a threat to the establishment. I’ve no evidence for that mind.

It was more because their brake pads are a threat to people’s safety, their owner slagged off his customers online and he wouldn’t refund shonky products even though the cheap tat he had bought from China turned out to be rubbish.

michaelbowden

It was more because their brake pads are a threat to people’s safety, their owner slagged off his customers online and he wouldn’t refund shonky products even though the cheap tat he had bought from China turned out to be rubbish.

The brake pad issue was 5-7 years ago. Some people need to get over it. I had one pair delaminates back then which were replaced no questions asked when I made (polite) contact about it. I’ve also had shimano and hope pads do the same. Since then I’ve continued to use their pads and not had a problem, I think they work great just as good as the others that are 3x the price.

Yes their products aren’t as well built/finished as king/hope etc but they are a fraction of the cost. You want king quality pay king prices, simple.

munrobiker
    Free Member

You want a product that doesn’t have an inherent safety risk? You will have to pay for it.

Nice argument, makes sense.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The last SS pads I got had a great 10% extra free so the breaks dragged for the first couple of weeks of use. Gave up.

nickjb
    Free Member

Nice argument, makes sense

He’s talking about finish quality which relates to price not safety. Thomson stems that crack and King headsets that wear through the steerer are both beautifully finished but not especially safe. A chainring with shonky anodizing won’t kill you.

psycorp
    Free Member

Again, for balance:

So far from SS over the years I’ve had 6 sets of wheels (the last set of sentinel rims on switch hubs for 90 quid!), stems, grips, headsets, rotors, caliper mounts and nw chainrings.

Not had to return anything yet.

DT78
    Free Member

I use them, mostly good for me. I’m looking at custom wheel options at the moment….tempted with their deal

Thumbs up – pads, grips, chainring, pedals
    Mixed bag – wheels (badly built as above and needed sorting, and tesla freehub didn’t last as long as I would expect)
    Thumbs down – bb, headset

Oh – and they delete bad reviews from their site.

Pays your money….

discapade
    Free Member

I’ve had a few issues but they have sorted them out no probs. it does make me laugh how people buy products for half the price of top brands, and then slate them. After all, the reason we shop there is coz they are cheap…like the budgie

mikewsmith
    Free Member

it does make me laugh how people buy products for half the price of top brands, and then slate them

It does depend on what the criticism is though.
    If it doesn’t work properly thats fair.
    If it’s piss poor finishing etc. and nothing like it looks on the website then thats fair too.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Superstar Components – mega thumbs down’ is closed to new replies.