Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • superstar components and 10 under the ben
  • turneround

for all the rade 10 under the be yesterday you'll know what conditions were like… nice pasty mud, cut up singletrak and a brilliant race… I must say i was sceptical to say the least about the S.C pads i bought… folk seriously, i didnt even get through one set of the red race compound one, not even half used…. well doner chappies on coming out with a set of pads that did'nt disintegrate after lap one…

managed to bag 2nd place mix pair also……

boxelder

Hope sintered, never lasted less than 3 months.

Good effort on the silver.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mixed pairs so 4 or 5 laps ?

My current disco pads are from my last 2 puffer laps -what ever rides ive done between then and now inc 350k big hill miles the other week and did 9 laps in solo yesterday and still look like they have a fair few rides left in em . Yesterday wasnt bad conditions for pads at all – its not the puffer cutting compound. The fort william mud is weak !

turneround

mixed pairs – 6 laps.. state of the bike was reminiscient of puffer 07.. may stick with the Sc red pads for awhile now – worked a peach with the R1's

njee20
    Free Member

This was my Superstar kevlar pads after 4 laps at the Gorrick enduro, I laugh in the face of your pansy Scottish mud!

FWIW, I still think they're great pads.

Murr
    Free Member

no probs wi ma ss pads in pansy scottish mud should have bought sinterd pads yir no a racer ir yi ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

njee – how can you consider that to be acceptable? It simply is not. Thats unfit for purpose.

9 laps of stathpuffer – a real bike eater. Half worn set of hopes changed after 4 laps, 5 laps on the new set and they are still in the bike with no noticeable wear.

Any pad that wore out in less than 200 miles that I had would be returned as unfit for purpose. I expect thousands of miles out of pads.

Hope sintered mainly

radoggair
    Free Member

clarks pads at £7 a pop at CRC seems to be working good for me. Bit heavier than usual but not only did they last at 10UTB but the mud has stopped the squealing i had frmo them

Northwind

TJ, that gorrick race was murdering pads and drivetrain, did you not read about it? Almost every post on here from anyone who was there commented on it.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/gorrick-enduro-you-werent-there-mannnnn-you-wouldnt-understand

Unless you think that everyone there was using superstar pads, I'd say that what happened to those ones wasn't exceptional at all.

Northwind

Anyway, for myself 2 sets of red superstar pads showing no real signs of wear at all after 10UTB, but then I didn't actually ride very far 🙂 TBh though it didn't strike me as that hard conditions for brakes, drivetrain sure but the mud wasn't all that gritty. Thought we might have to change a set on my mate's bike but they were fairly worn before the race.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Northwind – all I can say for sure is I have ridden in conditions that some people get this outrageous pad wear and it never happens to me. I would be returning pads that didn't last hundreds of miles as unfit for purpose and don't understand why anyone would tolerate that.

Northwind

I'd say it's unreasonable to judge the pads considering you weren't there and didn't see the conditions, or how others were standing up. Njee's obviously a better judge of what was reasonable, with his direct experience.

Having said that I wouldn't bum up the superstar ones particularily based on this weekend either, I'd be really disappointed with any pad that couldn't deal with it, they just did their job.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

How can it be reasonable to wear out a brake pad in tens of miles? Thats my point. I do not believe that is ever reasonable. its never happened to me despite doing ten under and strathpuffer as well as riding in the conditions and areas that other folk get major pad wear but the pads I use don't have this happen.

I certainly would not think of any pad that looked like that after such a short distance to be satisfactory

Northwind

Conditions vary. And you can't discount the reports from people who were there who were burning through the things, no matter how much you might want to have another pop at superstar. It's pretty arrogant to put your own experience of different events above the experience of people who were actually there tbh.

singletrackjenn
    Free Member

Hope sintered pads after four laps at the Gorrick Enduro:

I'd also expect hundreds of miles out of these in dry, clean conditions – but not in gritty slop. Much thought has been given to what would work in gritty slop, though – the best we could come up with was two pairs of pad backs sandwiched together, sold with a g-clamp for squashing the lever to the bar when your hands give out and a free pair of earplugs for the rider. Any advances? Could get expensive.. 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Northwind – I don't mean it to sound arrogant but I have ridden much in conditions that for some cause this pad wear and it doesn't happen to me. I am fascinated b the whole phenomenon and also fascinated that MTBers will put up with this. I wasn't haviung a pop at superstar here at all. Its clearly not just superstar that have this issue.

At Strathpuffer people were going thru pads every lap or two and I wasn't. I used less that half the thickness of pads in my 9 laps

Jennh – I expect hundreds of miles and have got hundreds of miles out of hope pads ridden in gritty slop. Thousands of miles used in the dry

Had those hope pads been bedded in?

this is a conundrum

singletrackjenn
    Free Member

Had those hope pads been bedded in?

Of course they had.

Box fresh Hope sintered pads lasted less than a lap on a friend's bike.

The faster you go, the more you need to brake. Race (or ride) fast, and you'll brake more. Not the most complicated of conundrums, really…

ro
    Free Member

but… but… i thought discs were the answer to every maidens prayer in gloopy mud?

what's gone wrong here?

*snicker*

Dirtynap
    Free Member

wow thats serious pad wear.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Jennh makes sense their tj – no doubt you get above average but the faster you go not only do you brake harder more often but you find you use them in hard bursts rather than dragging which will result in a new film of grit and crap being on the face

Fwiw 10 utb on sat cannot be compared to strathpuffer – ever. it wasnt anything like it. i used a set of disco pads every 4 laps at puffer for 17 laps and was happy with that…..2 years ago in a team of 4 i was using superstar pads at a rate of 1 pair in 1 lap. pads used on saturday have about 1500kms on them

njee20
    Free Member

I think Jenn's probably right. I also think there's gritty slop, and there's gritty slop! I ran the same pads all winter around the Surrey Hills, with virtually no wear, a few hours around Swinley and that happens. Then again I've done wet rides around Swinley without that sort of wear, which does suggest it's something about the racing and the way one brakes that causes the rather rapid wear.

It was trashing everyone's pads, it was phenomenally wet too, certainly far far wetter than the Puffer in 08, can't comment on any of the other ones as that's the only one I've done.

Perhaps you just maintain your brakes better than I do! Perhaps they're not fit for purpose, but frankly I can't be arsed to send back pads that only cost £5, my time's worth more!

bruneep

I'm surprised many of the mincers gathered enough speed on some of the sections to brake, whilst I'm here why do you need to carry your bike down a mud section, just ride it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

njee – how can you consider that to be acceptable? It simply is not. Thats unfit for purpose.

So somehow every pad manufacturer (300 odd people, surely there must have been a good cross section of manufacturers) managed to produced a duff batch and sell them only to people doing the gorrick that day? No one was manageing more than 2 laps to a set of pads. Oddly, my organic front set were still OK, it was the sintered rear ones that went AWOL!

I gave up after the grit managed to work its way past the seals on my shimano XT's, re-bled them now but not holding much hope for them!

My forks are feeling worse for wear too after beign ridden for 4 hours in grinding paste? Should I return those as unfit for purpose?

I used to get 9 months out of pads in the peak district, but when conditions get that bad they last minutes.

I'm surprised many of the mincers gathered enough speed on some of the sections to brake, whilst I'm here why do you need to carry your bike down a mud section, just ride it.

I'd considder myself a fairly competent rider, the fast guys at the gorrick werent carrying their bikes over anything unless its was either;
    a) a complete brake failiure like me
    b) the climb upto the labarynth (well they climbed it on lap 1, but pushed after that)
    c) the muddy offcamber climb towards the end, WTF was that about anyway!
    d) the body of someone who'd fallen off into the mud.

njee20
    Free Member

I think (but I may be wrong!) that bruneep was referring to 10UTB and the mincing content.

On the Gorrick I rode the off camber bit and the climb to the labyrinth every lap, the joy of Swinley is that despite being horrifically wet it does remain totally rideable. Prefer bike trashing rideable slop like that to sticky crap that doesn't kill your brakes, but you can't ride either! It's killed my jockey wheels and cables, although I think everything else has escaped!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Fair enough, Swinley was bizzarely rideable, there was even some grip under the slop if you trusted your tyres enough.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Bruneep- play nice. A lot of people who do 10UTB aren't experienced and are doing it just to see what it's like and to make an achievement. Not all have been riding tech stuff for years.

njee20
    Free Member

Fair enough, Swinley was bizzarely rideable, there was even some grip under the slop if you trusted your tyres enough.

Definitely, I suspect if we'd had a bit less rain it would've been less rideable!

Anyway, enough hijacking!

turneround

well, well, well, i never expected the thread to go this way…anyway, puffer is no contest to any of the other events i've cycled. 1 pair per lap in 07 and 08. yep true the faster you go the more you're going to go through the pads…

The point of this thread was that as i literally burned through SC pads at a very high rate, i always expected this to happen (4 sets for £25 was a cost i accepted) but i was just impressed with the performance of the ones last weekend….

davidrussell
    Free Member

Bruneep- play nice. A lot of people who do 10UTB aren't experienced and are doing it just to see what it's like and to make an achievement. Not all have been riding tech stuff for years.

I think on the whole most people did play nice, but it wasn't just the novices mincing.. I dont mind folk walking tech sections – i'd rather they did this than come a cropper, but they need to expect people approaching from behind and be prepared to move quickly – its far easier to stop walking during a tech section than stop riding it.

EDIT – to the OP 3 laps of TUTB on half worn shimano pads – I still have half worn pads left. No visible wear at all. Maybe I just braked less 🙂 or pad clearance is greater. Is there a brake manufacturer who noticeably suffers less than others?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

……………. Is there a brake manufacturer who noticeably suffers less than others?

I have been following this issue with interest for awhile. Hope seem to be better than most – but it is not certain by any means. Avid seem to be particularly bad. The newer shimano with the servowave might be better than olderones but the data is skimpy and there are exceptions all over the place

njee20
    Free Member

I've heard good things about Shimano Servo-Wave brakes, the pistons retract further, giving a bigger gap and thus more clearance. Makes sense.

I personally find Superstar pads superior to stock Avid ones, despite being 1/4 the price. I've never found Avid pads to last any better either!

paul_m

XT servo-wave brakes are no better, the Shimano pads in mine lasted 3 laps (about 17 miles) and the last of the Thetford winter series in Tunstall forest. I think it was the sand in the mud that makes it like grinding paste.

It wasn't anything to do with using the brakes either, as I only used them once or twice on each lap 🙂

bruneep

I think on the whole most people did play nice, but it wasn't just the novices mincing.. I dont mind folk walking tech sections – i'd rather they did this than come a cropper, but they need to expect people approaching from behind and be prepared to move quickly – its far easier to stop walking during a tech section than stop riding it.

+1 and don't attempt to remount your bike at the bottom of a run off with your bike blocking my exit. 🙄

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I'm still very much of the view that the better rider has to make concessions. It's all part of racing BUT that's another discussion!

Avid brakes eat pads compared to many others. And Avid own brand pads don't last 2 minutes.

Servowave Shimano have acres of space between pad and rotor which must count for a lot.

davidrussell
    Free Member

lol ^

I way way overbiked for the event even on my light 150mm pronghorn full sus and it did nark that the work i did to keep with the hardtail whippets on the climbs was eroded becase i couldn't take advantage of my full sus on the downs, but thats the way it is i guess.

Total respect to the guys doing 11 laps solo though – a few times later on in the race i was passed by guys who looked like they were hardly trying 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Turbo mince !!!!!

Lots of over biked folk having lots of fun !

How ever luke how do you define better rider ? is it me for kamikazi riding down the high line or is it the guy running because he knows its faster ?

imo the guy walking should make way for the rider if the rider is going faster than the walker …..and vice versa ….

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

BUT that's a whole other discussion 😉

davidrussell
    Free Member

Turbo mince !!!!!

I'm guessing that was directed at my comment?

regardless of fun had / skill employed / desire to win / fitness, a HT was more suited to the course.

trail_rat
    Free Member

wasnt really directed at anyone but my merida flx 3000 hardtail was lovely for course …..bUt it fairly chewwd up back wheels ..im a couple spokes short and so short of tension i thought i snapped my frame ! radogairs bike is in a similar way !

Doing a full rebuild now …. hope i can get some straight pull dt spokes as the sapims are ****

turneround

ahhh, i also used the turner flux for TUTB, saved my arse a peach as i couldnt walk for 2 days having done the puffer on the hardtail…..
    now, full suss of HT for enduros?????

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘superstar components and 10 under the ben’ is closed to new replies.